Wet weather gear?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Faust29, Dec 22, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    As I sit here drinking my second espresso, I should be heading out the door soon. But, with almost 2 inches of rain in Harding, and .75 at Santiago Peak in the last 12 hours, I'm going to pass.

So... It looks like we may finally have the wet winter we've needed for so long. That's great for the water table, but what about us guys who like to get out there? I'm not a fish.

What rain/snow gear do you guys recommend? I may have been a polar bear in another life, and I survived 3 hurricanes in 6 weeks (20 inches of rain in 24 hours), but I am a real wimp now. California weather has ruined me. I need something to keep me dry and warm... I'm going to be in the market (Dec. 26th) for at least a jacket and probably gloves. I've had too many hand injuries over the years, and a lot of the fingers get really sore when cold.

What'cha got?

2. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    I like these videos.

ridinrox, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Informative, no naked women, no pigs in the mud... You ok?

ridinrox, Danimal, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The hard shell conundrum...the more you keep out wetness, the more you keep it in.

The lightest hard shell hooded jacket with big pit zips and pants with full length side zips. Full shoe covers, hard shell gloves and a helmet cover. A generous visor (helmet or hat underneath). I used that setup on the divide and CT and would not change anything.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, ridinrox and 7 others like this.
  5. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball

What mike said!!!!

Unfortunately, the good stuff doesn't come cheap. But, quality usually means durable so you can get your money's worth. Check out Gore wear, Endura, ShowersPass and others.
    I also like dedicated, Gore-Tex lined shoes like the Shimano MW-81 or similar. Keeps your feet dry and warm....

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I finally broke down last year and bought the Shimano MW-81....keep my feet all warm and toasty. Can wear them down into the 20's with normal cycling socks.....wool socks were not necessary.

Otherwise, with Maple Springs being closed, I don't see a whole lot of opportunities to ride in the rain.

7. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
  8. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    Just like J said no maple no rain rides. When it's open and we had rain I would B line to maple and have the best rides.

Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Is this where I admit I've done Trabuco Creek Road from the wash to the gate at Trabuco... Just to get some miles. :whistling:

10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No......Trabuco Trail is really not that bad in the rain. Would actually be a decent ride from the wash to the WHT split and back.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yeah... I don't see my plan working out for tomorrow. I was thinking to go up Trabuco to see the Christmas tree, and then over to San Juan to see the gang. It looks like we're supposed to get some more before then... And Caspers and the Bell Trail will be a muddy mess.

Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  12. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C

Where are you seeing that rain data for Harding?
    As of 2pm; Santiago Peak has 2.45 inches.

Mikie likes this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Right from the rain gauges... http://ocwatersheds.com/rainrecords/rainfalldata/stormdata/stormrainfallframe

Or... Table form: http://ocwatersheds.com/rainrecords/rainfalldata/stormdata/rtddatatable

I prefer the map view, because you can play with the time period, and go back a full 72 hours. It seems like they are getting it the hardest around Motorway, Modjeska, and Harding, which is exactly where they don't need a lot of rain... :thumbsdown:

14. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Thanks for that, always looking for good resources.
    I use airsites2000 for the SA mountains and wunderground for most other.

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I have Marmot Precip gloves. They are not cut super well for biking, but are pretty decent at keeping rain out. As long as you don't melt em drying by the fire...

Can you guys suggest a good storm glove? The ones that are like mitts but with a free index finger seem like a good bet. I've used GTX mitt shells over gloves with success for snow sports, but the mitten style obviously ain't happnin for MTB.

TIA.

16. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    I use the Pearl Izumi PRO WRX Barrier gloves/liner combo. Waterproof, lightly insulated,fleece lined outer glove,can be used with a microfleece liner for extra warmth.

P.I. has the one-finger, lobster claw type shell also.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 2 others like this.
  17. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    My biggest issue with riding in the rain is that I can't freakin' see...I'm nearsighted, so if I want to see where I'm going I'm wearing glasses. Which is problematic in rain. Even worse in drizzle, actually.

18. knucklebuster

knucklebuster Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Guerrilla Gravity Megatrail
    I was just about to type in something similar "How do you see?" My eyes won't take contacts, so rx glasses are required to see the trail, but are pretty useless with rain/mist hitting them and mud be thrown up on them. I try to avoid riding in rain.

A couple hints I've heard and usually do if I know it will be wet.... tape over the shoe vents to keep the toes warm. Carry one or two sets of dry gloves and a dry jersey along with a shell. Switch out as needed. But agree, if you do a lot of sloppy weather riding it's best to get the dedicated high quality goretex/rain/slop stuff to start with, and hopefully it's not used that much so should last a long time.

19. StrandLeper

StrandLeper Well-Known Member

Name:
    Timothy M. Ryan
    Current Bike:
    SC Bronson 1x/Pivot 429 1x xtr
    Troy Lee designs has a great light shell hooded with pit zip vents. There should be some available for CHEAP, I got mine for under $30.00. If you want one, let me know your size and I can have Carmelite put one aside for you.

image.jpg

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Great offer and thank you!
    Although I haven't decided on a severe weather option, I did pick up a Canari jacket last night when the wife and I were walking around Sports Chalet looking at other things. It's not the lightweight, and it's not the ultra heavy model... But it has the pit zips and detachable sleeves, and it was $12 on the clearance rack in blazing orange, which matches my handlebars.

I have to match... Herzalot is pretty picky about that stuff.

Mikie, herzalot, Cougar and 1 other person like this.
  21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I think deer season is over, but blaze orange should help make sure you don't get poached. :geek:

Mikie, herzalot and Faust29 like this.
  22. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Last time I went deer hunting, I wore a red plaid wool outfit from head to toe! I still froze my ass off sitting in the tree for hours...

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Whatever you do, just promise me you will NEVER ride with a full-face helmet, no pads and lycra shorts. Please - make me that solemn promise?

(Who loves you Mikie? We ALL do!!!!! Wear what you want, stud!)

Mikie, Oaken, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I solemnly swear never to wear a full face helmet with Lycra. :thumbsup:

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    AAAAAAAAGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHHHH!!!!!! :stop::thumbsdown::bang::poop::mad::(:confused::eek:o_O:sick::devilish:

Wait - I read your post wrong last night. Must've been the adult beverages. I swear the word "never" was not in there when I read it last night. In that case:

:geek::inlove::laugh::):thumbsup::cool::p:rolleyes:

THANK you!

Mikie, DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  26. MCB2K

MCB2K Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brian Kiggins
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Fox Downpour Jacket... essential. Works great as a windbreaker too on the long descents.

Mikie, Oaken, mike and 1 other person like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for pulling it on topic, MBC.

Rossage, thanks for the glove reco.

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've been pulling pics of everything mentioned in this thread so far... Some good stuff, and most of it I would have never found. :thumbsup:

Mikie and mike like this.
  29. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    2015-12-24 09.57.47.jpg 2015-12-24 09.57.47.jpg 2015-12-24 09.58.32.jpg Here's a couple of pics of the gloves and liners...

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I went in to get that nifty lightweight $30 windbreaker that StrandLeper posted. They didn't have it, but I walked out with a Ruckus jacket. Not sure I will actually ever ride in it, unless I'm riding at Whistler. I might take it back. $120 is a lot for a jacket I will likely never wear (trails are closed when it's raining here - sticky, gloppy, unrideable mess).

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?