Night lights

Discussion in 'Lights' started by verdugist, Oct 3, 2015.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh man!!! Talk about retro. I remember those.:gag:

2. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Oh and here is my real light set up. Light and Motion SECA 2000.

20131113_180755.jpg

Grego, Varaxis, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    Holy retina scorcher Batman!

Danmtchl, Mikie, pperrelle and 2 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I reiterate...for simplicity and mucho lumens go with the NightRider. It really is worth the ducats.

DangerDirtyD, Luis, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  5. Wally

Wally Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Wally
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy CC
    Thank you for the excellent intel. For me, the lower priced options with separate battery pack and lantern seem inconvenient and heavy, and more importantly the risk of heat/melting/fire greatly outweigh the benefits. I'm leaning towards the integrated options of NiteRider or Cygolite. Does anyone have any further experience with Cygolite - other than the link that was provided above? Can it be mounted on either handlebars or helmet?

Mikie likes this.
  6. Varaxis

Varaxis Well-Known Member

Name:
    Dan Vu
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5c ('16 Yellow v1)
    When I was back in New York, my magicshines actually made the trails brighter than they ever were during the day, due to the thick forest canopy. Your pic reminded me of that experience.

doublewide likes this.
  7. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Go left, then left again. :)

8. Daddy Dirtbag

Daddy Dirtbag Member

Name:
    Jeff Johansen
    Current Bike:
    2016 Trek Stache 9 29+
    I have had several light setups over the past 15+ years of night riding. Currently, I'm riding with two NiteRider Lumina 750's on the handlebar, and one Serfas USL-505 on the helmet. I also have a Serfas TSL-750 that I can supplement on either the bars or the helmet. These are all self-contained internal battery type lights.

There are plusses and minuses for all lights. It's a matter of getting the one that works best for you. I had external battery type lights for many years, and it seemed like there were many problems related to the wiring, and I was constantly making repairs. And I didn't love having to strap a battery somewhere and then route the wires. Just not appealing to me.

The lights I have are primarily (I imagine) designed for commuting as evidenced by their relatively narrow beam pattern, hence the reason I have two on the handlebar so they make one rectangular beam. I prefer the Niteriders for the handlebar for a couple reasons: 1) The gradient of the beam is considerably less . . . . harsh than that of the Serfas lights, and 2) the handlebar mount on the NiteRiders is much more solid. the Serfas handlebar mount can shake like a wet dog when railing rocky, rough trails while NiteRiders are much more stable. I like the redundant aspect of having two separate lights on the handlebar. If one goes out, you still have one to get home with. I have been caught out with a malfunctioning light, and it's either a slow ride, or a long hike when your only light fails.

I like a flood-ish beam for the handlebar light, and more of a spot-ish type beam for the helmet light to shine wherever I may be looking.

For the helmet, I like the Serfas lights. Since I usually position the helmet light further up the trail, the harsh gradient isn't so noticeable. In fact, the more concentrated beam of the Serfas will reach out further than the NiteRiders that have a similar Lumen rating. I also prefer the Serfas helmet mount over the helmet mount of the NiteRider.

The USL-505 doesn't have the reach of the TSL-750, but it is bright enough for most conditions, and much lighter, which is important in a helmet light.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?