SB120 Demo - T1 Build

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by AKAKTM, Apr 14, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I've liked Yeti and Ibis shorter travel bikes a lot. As a result, I am testing the new SB120 with a demo bike. My first impressions are that it rides great. It's very solid and very quiet. VERY nice. IS the extra weight worth the super solid and quiet ride. Time will tell.

Negatives are that the frame is very heavy for a 120 bike at almost 7lbs. The Yeti T1 (XO) built is 30.1lbs tubeless. Ouch. The other issue I have is that this is an $8200 bike that uses a GX shifter, derailleur, crank, cassette and chain. At this price, it should have all XO in my opinion at minimum.

iMac2 - 1.jpeg iMac2 - 2.jpeg iMac2 - 3.jpeg

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Great looking bike!
    But for $8200 and 120 travel you should get a much better build and lower weight. I'd guess an XO build would drop a pound too. Interested to hear how you like the ride.

3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Well with all that material at the linkage you can see why the weight. Looks nice though!

4. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    I’ve done 25 miles on it. One more ride tomorrow. I can say it is really quiet and solid. At least all that material has some benefit. I can feel the weight relative to my Stumpjumper or the Epic Evo I sold. It long ago. I will also say a used late model SB130 is a much better buy. Overall, the SB120 is solid, easy to ride fast and fun. It’s a good bike but I would struggle to call it great at this price, build and weight.

herzalot and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  5. scottay

scottay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Scottay
    Or a new Racal , I may have one available. May have a like new sb130 hanging on the wall also....
    Shoulda hit up Kirk , he may have an Exie in the Ibis demo van....

herzalot and Fueledbyex8 like this.