I Love Mountain biking!

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by konakc, Jan 17, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I would say that it does. Tuck and roll whenever possible. Fortunately for me all but one of my getoffs have been sidelining injury free. I'd have to say that attirbutes to knowing how to fall/crash. OR, it attributes to having a shite ton of experience in crashing, but still not knowing how to. Is there a proper way to fall?

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Listening to my book about an experienced special operator that got seriously injured.. and is recovering.

"I just don't bounce like I used to!"

True Dat!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Redman and 4 others like this.
  3. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Yes. But it can't be taught. You have to land on your feet, moving no faster than you can run.

It doesn't always work. Ask me how I know.:bang:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Redman and 2 others like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Kudos for naming your friend who had a heart attack, Heart Attack Matt. A member of my core friend group lost a gnard to testicular cancer several years ago, and he now goes by Uno. It's the way it should be.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Walleye and 10 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    A buddy I used to work with lost his lower left leg in a motorcycle collision. This guy has always been full of life, a glass is 95% full type of personality and that didn’t change a bit. When he came back to work, his co-workers had plenty of jabs for him. First responders are relentless that way. He himself calls his trials & tribulations “The Nub Chronicles” on his FB posts....

Mikie, Danmtchl, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  6. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Great advice for e-bikers.

7. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    So good. I chuckled out loud at that one.

Mikie, Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  8. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    What concerns us is that you run with scissors.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Clipped in rider. No pads either. Helmet of course.
    Might try riding a horse....

Man I feel so much better. Went for a run this morning..with the dog. She threw herself into a big muudy pond and just rolled around. Life is good!!

I bought a knee and elbow pads but probably used it once or twice.. when I went on the whole enchilada and sedona .... but for local trails that I've ridden many times, I never bothered with pads..
    But as you know we crash where we ride the most...

Over the last 25 years of riding, I've had close friends that have taken heliocopter rides... so many injuries, so many broken bones... for the longest time I thought I was bullet proof...
    I used to ride w/ a guy who was KOM/top ten on most of the trails at Oaks. but now he goes down climbing chutes...

If you ride long enough with a big enough group, you gonna see a lot of broke wrists, broken collar bones, face fractures... etc..

the funniest thing I ever saw though was a newbie stopping every so often throwing up in the bushes and saying, "I'm ok. I ain't stopping."

Mikie, herzalot, Redman and 7 others like this.
  10. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @konakc FWIW, I wear knee pads anytime I ride a dirt trail. Including the floop. IDGAF what others may say/think. I am so used to wearing them, I don't even realize they are there. I make my boys wear them too, any dirt the pads go on. Helmets get worn no matter what on all rides.

Mikie, konakc, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  11. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I was exiting on to the pavement last night, rear wheel slipped on a boulder and I put my foot down, wrong side of the trail and I went boom. Crash can happen anywhere and anytime
    happy trails

Mikie, bvader, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  12. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Been almost three months since my accident. I'm 95 percent back to normal. Still can't feel my left thigh. I think that's gonna be permanent. left molars and canine teeth still feel weird but I can at least chew on that side now.
    But still have not ridden my mtbk at all. have no desire to ride it. Still trying to sell it but not one inquiry. It might be a blessing b/c deep down I don't wanna sell it.
    Been riding small sections of the floop w/ my daughter's old beach cruiser. its fun doing drops on the cruiser!
    I think I'm gonna buy a hardtail and ride around the fire trails in the near future....
    But I much rather ride Lord of the Squirrels...

Mikie, Sidewalk, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    It was probably the bike ... that's why nobody is trying to buy it. :cautious:

Mikie, herzalot, konakc and 1 other person like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    As I said before - you are just as risky on the beach cruiser (jumps and drops with no helmet) as you are on your mt bike. I don't see how a hard tail will help you take less risk.

Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    hardtail will only be ridden on dirt fire roads... but yeah you right.. can I really limit myself to fire roads/ie fullerton loop??!

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I think there are more injuries on the Fully Loop than any other trail in Orange County. @mtnbikej's worst injury was on a fire road. It's not where you ride, or what kind of bike you ride - it's how you ride! You are clearly aggressive and seek the thrills of riding on the edge. Can you mute that and still enjoy it? I hope so.

Mikie, Obsidian, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Hey now.....

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Truth! We have that in common - worst injury in places where we wouldn't expect it.

Mikie, Obsidian and mtnbikej like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    One of my worst injuries (maybe a tie) was IN THE PARKING LOT before a ride.

Try beating that.

20. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Ok guys I had often thought about teaching a class on how to fall. All the years of judo has saved my bacon a million times . Yes there is a correct way to fall. Who is interested ? We can set up a meet at a park or? Then we can ride. Maybe imtb meetup?
    Post your in.
    TTB

Mikie, Danimal and herzalot like this.
  21. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Oh ask @Oldschool about that

Mikie and Danmtchl like this.
  22. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I lot my older brother last year East of Hurricane. I was in Vegas baby and he snapped his neck. He was riding with his crew that includes a paramedic. Me I crashed and broke my collar bone two years ago this month. Everybody tells me Iz clazy. Did I forget half the year I ride at night and I never ride with others. Oh and I ride trails nobody rides. But you feel closer to nature when you are out there and part of the food chain when you lay there too long in the dark. But back in the 90's I learned to ride 90-10. Ride all but those few things you can make 9 out of ten times. and walk that little bit. It may keep you in the saddle longer if you swallow your pride and skip that really fun thing.
    Happy keeping the rubber side down

Mikie, konakc, bvader and 2 others like this.
  23. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Man.. I didn't want to read this thread.. @konakc are you still around?

Mikie likes this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    @konakc is still around... I'll let him tell of his journey since posting this thread. Let's just say that going off jumps on a beach cruiser on the Fullerton Loop (while not wearing a helmet or pads - but with a dog in the basket) is not reducing risk!

Mikie and Voodoo Tom like this.
  25. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    oh yeah!! gonna go to UCSC tomarrow to ride... one of my favorite places....hope it dries out by saturday...
    demo forest is nice but all the good stuff is in UCSC that the locals hide... I am limiting myself to NO jumps...

Mikie, -ROCKY-, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    But are you? :confused:

Be safe out there! :thumbsup:

Mikie and -ROCKY- like this.
  27. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    That's great to hear that you're still riding! You mentioned jumps, I'm hoping to much improve my jumping. I'm guessing crashes will come with that. :gotnothing:

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  28. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Best way to jump is to learn how first. People tend to get hurt crashing because they don't learn how to jump, they just "Send it!". Learning the proper methods to ride go a long way. Best start: learning how to bunnyhop with flap pedals.

I've been working slowly progressing my girlfriend up to larger and larger jumps. She has gone from a new rider in 2020 to probably about average middle aged dude level of riding. Which is pretty good for a middle aged mom with virtually no testosterone.

As for myself, I recently dislocated my shoulder from sending a jump too far :whistling:

scan, Mikie, Rumpled and 4 others like this.
  29. -ROCKY-

Name:
    Rocky
    Nice! I'm not sure how much YT videos help. I'm taking those in.

Mikie likes this.