I Love Mountain biking!

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by konakc, Jan 17, 2023.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    This one's gonna be long boys! I just put my Ibis Ripmo up for sale. arg.
    So, I love mountain biking but I'm just hurting myself too much.

When I got married in the year 2000, my soon to be wife's parents asked if they can buy a watch for me, and I responded, I rather you buy me the newest mountain bike with fork suspension AND shocks! they said yes. Wow so many more trails opened up to me.. no more Fullerton loop only, now I was hitting chutes, etc.

About a month ago, I decided to do some jumps that I had done before. First jump fine, then second jump not so good. I thought I could fly which I did very well but I don't know how to land. 4 fractures on my body later, 2 on my face, one on left elbow and one on my right wrist! I'm all good now.. Still can't chew well.

I've been riding these trails forever, and sure I've had my share of crashes but the last year and 1/2 been ridiculous! My bones are breaking alot easier.

I don't know how to take it easy. I like to jump. I like rock gardens. Berms. Logs. Waterfalls. Hawks.. Repo Man was calling. But I love my wife too. 11 years ago, my best friend died from mountain biking. Our families were very close.

Greer is Great. Oaks is every greater when its SOAKs. And Dog Park is where I stop.

take care boys! I love mountain biking, ESPECIALLY riding with you BOYS!

Mikie, Bluesrider, solislbc and 21 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    That's not news that's fun to hear. I hope you find your way back, or, find something you love almost as much as mtn biking. Wishing you well dude!

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... That sucks. :thumbsdown: Like Trinidad says, I hope you find something that gets you out there...

You've certainly been a valued personality here on the forum, and I hope that continues in some form.

Mikie, Bluesrider, MolarM and 6 others like this.
  4. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Just take a break like I did. I’m ready to get back out and not have my previous hang ups about riding this trail that fast or whichever way. Just gonna be glad to be back and taking it easy. If the rain lets me :laugh:

Mikie, Bluesrider, solislbc and 9 others like this.
  5. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Flying is a result of learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss. If you work at it, you'll get there.

You can be like me!!!! Go slower than everyone else and never have a broken bone!!!

On a seriouser note, do what works for you. The morgue or spinal rehab is not a preferred destination.

Mikie, Bluesrider, MolarM and 5 others like this.
  6. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    I, like you, love mountain biking. And like you, I've had a devastating injury that put pressure on my wife and made me question this things we do. While your decision is different than mine post hoc, I wholly support you and wish you the best.

Mikie, Makoto, Bluesrider and 7 others like this.
  7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Don't quit.....it's not really what you want to do.

However, adjust your expectations. Maybe techy trails and jump trails are in the rearview mirror. Maybe now is the time to transition into tamer trails. Slow down and smell the roses.

I know it's difficult coming back from injuries....but if you play hard, you pay hard.

Get out and do some more XC type rides. Not every ride needs to be filled with adrenaline the whole time.

You can still go out, still have fun, still enjoy being on the bike.

Mikie, -ROCKY-, Diytypeofguy and 16 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I can relate to this as much as anybody, but not to the degree you have experienced. I too love the "rad" parts of mt biking and don't enjoy going slow on tame trails. I too have had some fairly frequent injuries of late and keep seeming to find a way to fall (like catching a handlebar on a branch on a section of trail I've ridden a thousand times). And although my injuries have been fewer and less serious than yours, I get where you are coming from. I don't like it, but I get it.

Take a break. Find another passion that doesn't include the same risk of injury. Fortify your body and mind. Rebuild strained relationships. I don't know how old you are, but maybe in a year or two, you can come back in a different headspace. EDIT: 52. Plenty of time.

In the meantime, I have proven that you do not have to actually ride a bike to be a frequent poster on this site! Don't go away - live vicariously and share whatever it is you chose to do.

Mikie, Bluesrider, solislbc and 11 others like this.
  9. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Good advice from all! I already miss riding. Like Jason says jumps and techy downhill I'm done with. It looks like Fullerton loop will be in my future though.. and maybe main divide... and... carbon... and...

Mikie, Redman, redwoods and 14 others like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I have a great San Gabes "gravel grinder"... I call it that, but I wouldn't take a gravel bike on it... Any time you want.

Mikie, Redman, redwoods and 5 others like this.
  11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Those of us without Ebikes can always use more shuttle drivers and babysitters.

Mikie, redwoods, Bluesrider and 2 others like this.
  12. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Yeah cmon dude,keep riding. At least stay active on this hooligans site!

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  13. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    As others have stated... I think you can still stay active in the sport but also mitigate the risk involved.
    XC bikes are a lot more fun these days, and still have decent capability, but also will keep you more aware of your limits. Trade your ripmo for an exxie...

Marshall, Chino Hills, Crystal Cove, Bonelli, Powder, Turnbull...

Mikie, Stkx66, redwoods and 3 others like this.
  14. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    "The key to contentment in old age is to define the aspects of life that remain within reach. The corollary is to surrender those things that are risky, silly or just plain stupid. My wife is my personal gate keeper, and there are doors that are firmly locked...

One of the consolations of old age is the realization, as George Will has written, that one isn’t going to die young." - Fay Vincent (two quotes today from the WSJ)

"The future ain't what it used to be." - Yogi B. Ain't that the truth?

Mikie, redwoods, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  15. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I want to do adventure rides over technical. Like that train track gorge trail in inland San Diego. Let’s go!

Mikie, Redman, redwoods and 7 others like this.
  16. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Carrizo Gorge - That is the spot where the video shows a guy going a$$ over teakettle down the side of an embankment.

https://www.mountainbikebill.com/MilesCrash.htm

17. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Let's FLoop!!! or Black Star. Or B* - Skyline - B*. And other stuff in the Santa Anas.

Mikie, redwoods, SnakeCharmer and 3 others like this.
  18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    @konakc I'm glad to hear you aren't giving up MTB entirely. There's absolutely nothing wrong with dialing it back a couple notches and trying to be a responsible adult. Truth be told I've found a way to injure myself with just about every hobby I've ever had.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, Walleye and 9 others like this.
  19. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Even BBQing?

Mikie, redwoods, Bluesrider and 2 others like this.
  20. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Of course, cuzz there was beer involved...:Roflmao

21. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    My first broken bone ever was at 45 years old. Left wrist. My second broken bone was at 45, right wrist. Separate occasions. Need to try and retain some upper body muscle mass.

sorry to hear that you are hanging it up. Like others have said, consider an XC bike and tone it down vs giving up.

Mikie, Fueledbyex8, Obsidian and 3 others like this.
  22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Others here don't seem to get that riding slow on boring trails and roads can be more frustrating than not riding at all. We all ride for different reasons, and it's hard for a thrill rider to become a fitness rider or an adventure rider.

I'll stand by my advice. Take a year or two off to fortify your mind, body and relationships. When you come back - riding of any kind will seem fun and perhaps you can avoid jumping. In the meantime, find another sport to obsess about. Golf comes to mind! Or ping pong (er...table tennis). :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danimal, mtbMike and 1 other person like this.
  23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Pickleball!!

24. redwoods

redwoods Well-Known Member

Name:
    Patrick
    Current Bike:
    Ridin' heavy
    I'll second this, but it might not even take that long. A 3-6 month hiatus (while staying busy with other activities!) can really help refresh/reset what you get out of even the most basic rides.

25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Sorry to hear that @konakc

When I broke my wrist (not comparing injuries) I took up hiking.

I took it up because I wanted to stay in shape and put weight in the backpack etc.

I thought it would be boring and it turned out. I really liked it.... It was an interesting opposite of mountain biking and yet brought joy of being outside and seeing things different. It actually helped a lot.

Everyone is different. You'll find something and I hope you come back!

Mikie, herzalot, redwoods and 3 others like this.
  26. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yep, the data on the importance of maintaing muscle mass as we age is indisputable ... not just for bone density but also for overall health.

Everyone over 40 should be lifting weights on a consistent basis, or at least doing body weight exercies (pull ups, push ups, dips, etc.). It certainly does not mean you will never break bones, but the bones will be stronger, without question.

Mikie, solislbc, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  27. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yup, I already miss the brotherhood of mountain biking. My buddies still try to include me in the post ride beer/food. I will ride a bike again fo sure.. just differently...
    broken thumb, broken wrist x 2, broken elbow, fractured orbital x 2 on three different occassions in a span of about 14 months... makes you wanna take a break... from the breaks..
    its not that I'm doing anything much different, its just that now when I crash I break where before I would crash and I would dust myself off. ...

We, on this site, all have gene for crazy.... for need..of the thrill of danger/speed/adrenaline.. we are addicted/ and know the feeling of the rush of endorphines after a fun run over rock gardens, or jumplines or flow/tech long single track... that feeling of quick speed ... that feeling of new trails....

I'll be back one of these days on the trails but I gotta get feeling from my teeth first!!
    I love mountain biking!!

Mikie, herzalot, redwoods and 9 others like this.
  28. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    :eek::gag: Yeah, not even going to talk Sh!t .... if that was me I would quit too, 100%.

29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Cup is always half full perspective... with all those injuries happening to close together, you should good to go w/o for a LONG time.

That's how injuries/crashes work for me. I go along time w/o nothing, then a few getoffs in a short span.

I don't know if you ride clipped or not. But, IMO crashing when riding clipped is almost always a lot worse.

Hope to see you writing ride reports again soon.

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Yeah, those are some crazy injuries. I've been riding along time and don't know anybody that's had ANY of those injuries from mountain biking. I have multiple friends that have broken their wrists snowboarding and the "experts" always say....you need to learn how to fall. I'm not sure if that same theory applies to mountain biking.

Just out of curiosity, are you a rider that wears every pad imaginable? I know I'd be wearing full face helmet on every ride after one orbital socket injury. We have one guy in our group that wears better/tougher knee & elbow pads on MTB rides than I ever wore riding MX. Herat Attack Matt is also wearing all the pads after his heart attack and being put on blood thinners. He's off the blood thinners but still crashing....and always breaking ribs.

Mikie, Old&InTheWay, herzalot and 2 others like this.