kmc dlc chain

Discussion in 'Drive Trains' started by Tom the Bomb, Apr 27, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Tom the Bomb

Tom the Bomb iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    This chain rocks! After 2 years on my rip 9 it finally measured .75 to replace. It has never broke, skipped or cracked. I have never had a chain last this long. It was obviously black and green and a bit on the spendy side but I am definitely replacing it with the same one. Great chain! KMC DLC colored chain. They do come in black too. I hate chit that does not last.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I haven't tried that one, but KMC is my preferred chain on the single speed. They last and don't snap unexpectedly, like the SRAM butter chains.

3. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    KMC, durable, good price points, and good-looking.

4. Fueledbyex8

Fueledbyex8 Well-Known Member

Name:
    Albert
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I'll keep this one in mind, next time it's time to replace. Thanks for sharing!

5. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    KMC x12 gold 12 speed chain, Juuuuuunk! Broke after 7 rides. Upon further inspection a bunch of other link plates were cracked and ready to go. Luckily I was only 75 yards from the car at the finish of a ride.

Bought a new xx1 gold 12 spd sram chain and woooooow! Sooooo much better. Shifts way faster up and down, quiet and smooth. I can hardly tell its shifting. Paired with xx1 gold cassette and gx der. is like magic.

UPSed, DangerDirtyD, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    We had 3 new Specialized bikes specced with KMC chains. Two Experts and one Comp. Not sure what level of chain they used but neither of mine lasted more than 500 miles before they were completely worn out. Jennifer's lasted just under 1k before needing replacement. The XT chain on my Ranger has almost 3k and is nowhere near the .50 mark. Not sure which SRAM chain Jennifer had on the Mojo (GX) but it needed to be replaced with less than 2k on it.

7. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Some time ago, like in the 9/10 speed days I read that KMC actually made a lot of chains for Shimano/SRAM. True? I don't know.
    I have used KMC in few applications where they have worked well as a good value chain.
    Granted, I am not the @mtnbikej level of equipment destroyer.

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I really like the KMC chains on my road bike. Basically all I run anymore.

They normally feel great on my MTB's, but I can't remember what I have been using lately.

The Shimano chains are the worst for me. I have ditched Shimano drivetrain parts entirely for the MTB's. All the XTR parts are sitting in bins.

Danimal and mtnbikej like this.
  9. Tom the Bomb

Name:
    Thomas Cosgrove
    Current Bike:
    21 SSSSSSSSSlash!
    Most of the KMC chains are good , just read that the x12 gold and gold and black ones are baaaaad!

10. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Solution: Don't drink the Kool-Aid, stick with 11 speed. :facepalm::Roflmao

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Consistently curmudgeonly!

See, when you buy a new bike these days, it comes with 12 spd. I know you haven't bought one since 2012 and don't plan to until yours breaks - which isn't likely.

12. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Well... If you have to go that modern, I guess 11 is ok. Real curmudgeons only have 10 gears in total between two bikes!

:Roflmao

13. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Ahem: I bought a bike in 2015, another in 2017, and yet another in 2018. So there.

And the one from 2015 started as a 2x10, went to 1x10, then to 1x11, then to 2x11. All on the same bike!!!:):thumbsup:

Who needs new?

Tom the Bomb, herzalot and Obsidian like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?