Knee Pain Leads to Heart Issues

Discussion in 'Health' started by ~JB~, May 31, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Little past history for this. 2003 while on active duty (Navy) I was diagnosed with Thyroid cancer. After three surgeries plus radiation treatments was made fit for duty and retired in 06. Twenty years later with the last 10 MTBing I had a CT scan to search for cancer. My body is still producing Thyroid hormone (cancerous) even though my Thyroid was removed and been having trouble finding the cells. There fore annual checkups and all sort of scans. Well this last Jan was riding and had a little brake fade incident and placed a huge amount of weight on my left knee (2001 ACL reconstruction). Thought of nothing but going up and down ladder (Christmas light n paint rooms) knee would hurt. Here it starts.. make appointment to see Family Doctor for referral (orthopedic) to get knee checked (scare ACL again). First thing Dr says "Where have you been?" (2years of Covid) Tell her a year ago Endocrinologist order a CT scan. So she starts searching and reading the write up. All good until the word "Aortic Ectasia Thoracic" (a bulge of the aorta). Referral to Cardiologist and Orthopedic. After X-rays and MRI knee ligaments are fine. Do have water, meniscus tear, the your old word "Osteoarthritis". Doing rehab (lame).. Back to the real issue.. Heart stress test plus echo cardiogram revealed I can no longer lift weights because of the bulge of the aorta (Minor Aortic Ectasia) keeping an eye on it. But the stress test failed (you are not biking he said). Appointment Jun 6 to view the heart's blood flow and possible stents. The end.. For Now.. Symptoms as I now sit down feel and listen for things (lower the volume). I do have a raising heart (out of breath like) on a short walk from ref to couch and doing work outside. Not all the time though but its there. Wonder what the heart was doing keeping the rate avg 138 max 169 while riding:gag:.. The rate might drop now? Can I say cancer was a blessing? My grandmother passed milking a cow.. yelled and dropped (heart attach?) Hereditary? Caused by MTBng..? The only young relative that passed was my father but that was lead poisoning. Not getting into that subject but it is on the site..

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Wow!! Best wishes and prayers sent.

solislbc, Mikie, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Glad you found out before was too late. Wish you the best, and hope you get back to the mtb!

OTHRider, herzalot, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    A bulge on the aorta is also known as an aortic aneurysm, which is nothing to sneeze at. Aortic dissection will probably kill you - just ask John Ritter.

Better to ease up for a few months than keel over on the bike.

Best wishes to prompt resolution.

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Take care of yourself... best to sacrifice a knee to keep the heart and blood tubes healthy!

~JB~, Mikie, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  6. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Welcome to the club. Except my HR will reach +200 every other day (was everyday and is now becoming everyday, just not yet). My Cardiologist does not have an issue with that and my max HR is 220- my age so that= -10. Good luck, and keep moving is all I can say. I call it John Ritter disease, herniated aorta, his ripped. I do get ultra sound every year and nuclear stress tests. Those are big bucks, but it makes me glow inside. 40 minutes 4 days a week, so I do 60+ 6 days a week if I can
    Happy heart healthy trails

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It sounds like you have a history of comebacks... Here's hoping you bounce back from this one as well.

8. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :mad: Dammit JB!
    Just knock this Sh!t off!:whistling:

Just do the right thing, and call it a season of recovery. Hang in there brother. Thanks for sharing with the Hooligans.
    My prayer list is long, but you just got added.

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ^^^^^ What he said!

Holy Sheets - that's scary. Please go easy - no heroics for a while. Like @Mikie said - it's a recovery season. Issuing thoughts, prayers, mojo, karma, kismet, positive vibrations, and any other manner of cosmic force to help you out!

OTHRider, ~JB~, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  10. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    upload_2022-6-7_10-40-22.jpeg

Spent the day at the Hospital yesterday.. After being shaved on both wrists and manscaped:speechless: (as a backup entry) went in for the procedure. They used the wrist. Not exactly a sleeping procedure felt and heard everything. Good news.. NO Blockage.. Good Flow.. False Stress Test.. :) Want to Thank all of you for your kind n fatherly words:rolleyes:... The cosmos have aligned. Aortic Ectasia is still there but its minor will discuss some more with the Dr. on Tuesday next week.. Now knee..(lame physical therapy) hope for a scope to make sure whats causing of the pain.

MolarM, AKAKTM, Makoto and 17 others like this.
  11. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Good news, and I hope you were at least manscaped by a hot nurse. :laugh:

12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    9a402b13c7845a9b5438b41ae9ee3a66.jpg

herzalot, bvader, OTHRider and 4 others like this.
  13. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Oh yes.. looked hot from nose up..:giggle: Wife in the room:sneaky:

herzalot, Danimal, OTHRider and 4 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    You couldn’t ask her to leave? :p

Glad all of the news is good news… :thumbsup:

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    The wife, or the nurse? You must be clear on this point. :facepalm::Roflmao

herzalot, Danimal and Obsidian like this.
  16. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    @~JB~

Glad you turned out okay!

True Story.
    I was in a pretty solid car accident in my twenties on Christmas Eve night.

I had a head injury so they couldn't give me any pain medicine but they needed to stitch up my forehead and my chin. I'm sure they gave me a little local.

And I distinctly remember the very attractive nurse sitting right in front of me keeping my attention while they were stitching me up.

I was such a dude!.. Easy!

da big hills, ~JB~, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  17. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Little update on health: Had my annual echo cardiogram and the aortic ectasia thoracic has grown from 3.5 to 3.9 cm (limit 4.5) so on a 6 month followup schedule now. The saying "When if Rains it Pours".. Doctor had a prior test to compare the results and now will need a heart valve replacement in the future. :mad: Probably at the same time with the aneurysm repair. Working on scheduling the :poop:er scope had polyps removed 6 years ago so on a five year test cycle. Cardiologist told me he will approve the procedure. On a good note lesser knee pain (riding away) spoke to Dr about a scope but have not heard back with a schedule.. Falling apart..

18. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Welcome to the club!! I'll be getting a valve job sometime in the future my own self. Luckily for me (at least so far) there's no aorta issue, just the aortic valve, so I can go the TAVR (transcatheter aortic valve replacement) route instead of the lobster treatment. Or so they say....

Best of luck, keep an eye on it. The knee is much less critical than the aorta and valve.

Faust29, ~JB~ and Obsidian like this.
  19. ~JB~

~JB~ Member

Name:
    Juan B Garcia
    Current Bike:
    2019 RFX
    Dr. mentioned to maniacal and tissue valves. Will see.. no restrictions on riding so keep the heart rate below 165.. Thanks and best of health..

20. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Something to keep in mind - mechanical valves will require lifetime blood thinner medication. Tissue valves do not. But tissue valves last about 10 years, so there's that.

~JB~, Faust29 and Obsidian like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I can't "like" any of these posts. Just hoping and praying for the best for y'all, and I know I'll be there too.

PS: I've been on blood thinners for over 25 years. Coumadin for most of those, Xeralto for the past 3 or so. I will be for life. Maybe I'm stupid or lucky, but I continued sports that have sharp objects, speed, blunt force trauma, helmets and falling as a regular part of participation. Skiing, snowboarding, mt biking, surfing and ice hockey. I did get another blood clot when I had to go off the thinners for back surgery (January 2022). That was fun.

Good luck to all y'all with your heart valves and stuff! Modern medicine is quite amazing, ain't it?

~JB~, Runs with Scissors and Obsidian like this.
  22. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    A buddy of mine had a thin walled aortic valve that blew out (his Dad died from the same issue while running a marathon) and he now has a valve and front portion of his heart that is tissue from a pig. As you stated, they told him he will need an update in 10 years.

~JB~, Runs with Scissors and Obsidian like this.
  23. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    better living thru modern chemistry

~JB~, Runs with Scissors and herzalot like this.