New trail in Dos Vientos

Discussion in 'Trails' started by Bluesrider, Apr 30, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    Took my new bike out for quick spin in DV and found myself looking at a new trailhead. This was not there last week, so they must have just cut the last section to expose the trail where it joins the existing trail. Purpose built for biking as the trail has a few jumps with signage for the go around, nothing crazy it’s either green or blue, no black features. Many corners are bermed and one drop is 4ft to flat. Trail has good flow and a few switchbacks. Very loose right now, but once it gets packed down it’s gonna be fun. The end of trail where it comes out to road is just trampled down brush and unfinished.

57DA93D3-9C60-43C5-B97D-EB4A4D2F6728.jpeg

062779C7-C196-463D-9178-69FB56A8F9DE.jpeg

06A9565D-3FEC-4839-AAAC-8DA47BB24601.jpeg

2690247B-2574-4BBD-8B10-983DE4F0BA61.jpeg

scan, mtnbikej, buggravy and 6 others like this.
  2. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Huh, never ridden there.
    Wait, what new bike!?!

Bluesrider and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    One group up here is building trails at Shaver Lake with the blessing of So. Cal Edison who own alot of land up here.

279652704_1512547669165348_3102793636532223253_n.jpg

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Back in the late 1970s I rode a bunch of dirt logging roads around Shaver Lake on a Yamaha 175. Wish I could remember where they were, because they'd be even more fun on a bicycle.

And the back way from Shaver to Huntington through Big Creek is stupid steep and would be quite the challenge. It's part of the annual Climb to Kaiser.

Bluesrider and Danmtchl like this.
  5. Y-not

Y-not Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Mach 6, Litespeed SS
    Yep. The part climbing from the bottom of the dam at Shaver to the boat dock is almost possible in my car.....

6. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    See new bike thread

herzalot and UPSed like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Should we Transition to that thread? :whistling:

Fueledbyex8, buggravy and Bluesrider like this.
  8. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    This map might refresh your memory. https://www.amazon.com/dp/1566952425/?tag=imtbtrails0d-20

That's awesome they're getting some new trail built in the Shaver Lake area. I've spent a bunch of time up there exploring for the Orogenesis bikepacking route and found there is shockingly little singletrack in the area considering how perfect the terrain would be for MTB trails. And what is there like the Shaver Perimeter trail is a pretty mixed bag.

There are a few trails on the map as national forest system trails that could be excellent but they barely exist on the ground anymore. Bear Wallow for example would be a 5,000ft drop down to the King River. The Dinkey Creek trail runs from the Dinkey Creek resort along the creek for many miles, and we've even seen a map that shows it dropping all the way to the King River as well. The French Trail which starts on the Bass Lake side goes something like 50+ miles, and apparently crosses into Wilderness and keeps going north of Mammoth Bar.

Runs with Scissors likes this.