Anyone snowflaked a wheel?

Discussion in 'Wheel Building' started by Lost Kiwi, Jan 27, 2022.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    So I'm building some 24" wheels and I'm a cheap skate. Spoke calcs call for 235 spokes but I got 240's. Apparently if I snowflake I'm going to use 4-5mm. 90's coolness beckons but has anyone actually done this?

Given the average age around here someone must have tried this on before (granted you may well have forgotten due to oldtimers)

Danmtchl, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I’d rather spend the money and get new spokes than spend the time getting frustrated.

3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I had to Google that. No such silliness have I ever seen in real life... o_O

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I thought a snowflake was someone or something that melts under the slightest bit of "heat," pressure or challenge. I had some snowflake wheels. They were Race Face Arc Offset 30.

5. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    :eek: Hey I resemble that remark! :p

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I know you are a manly man... I know this to the very depths of my bee bee in a boxcar brain. I put a Race Face Carbon on the rear of my Hightower and proceeded to bash the Sh!t out of it the last day at Kokopelli on the Porcupine Trail. It was one of my moments of irrational outer body experiences when I lost all logic for self preservation, and it was tougher than me.
    Maybe we aren't talking about the same wheels...

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Herzy is talking about their newest generation of offset aluminum rims. I had the older non-offset and they lasted a decent amount of time. I still have one that's functional. When they went to the offset design, they changed the aluminum composition to include 50% butter.

Are you still rolling on the carbon wheels? How are they holding up?

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That is correct…..RF is kinda confusing.
    You have the AR/ARC 25/30/35/40 alloy rims
    You have the ARC 31/37 carbon rims

Danmtchl, Obsidian, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  9. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Google Adsense is all over this for you. They suggest a Talyn 2 Wheel Balancing something-er-rather at the bottom of this page right now:
    upload_2022-1-28_8-22-29.png

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Voodoo Tom like this.
  10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I thought I was a guy who would never buy carbon wheels. But I have to say, they have been the most amazing wheels I have ever owned. I'm totally sold!

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Roger that Sir.
    You are correct. I have the Arc 31 Carbon Rims. Best choice I have ever made. :thumbsup:

12. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well looks like I can't measure a rim anymore - that or the spoke calculator I used was off. I'm going to blame the spoke calculator :Roflmao mainly cos I was doing a 1 x laced pairing using only half the spokes. I had conflicting advice on the multiplier to use for the calc and I think thats what threw it all off. Anyway long story short I decided to lace up and see where I ended up and the 240 spokes did the job perfectly. No need to snowflake, I'm kind of interested to give it a try at some time still though. Might try it on some spares I have lying round, reckon the proflex would look pretty wild with a snowflaked front wheel!
    Front wheel went together last night, should be finishing up the back wheel today for the little fellas bike, looks pretty cool with only half the spokes :thumbsup:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?