San Clemente Set to Impose ebike Ban...

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Dec 27, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    If you didn't see this in the OC Register, here ya go...

Council Plans Ban for EBikes

I had my hopes up when it said "trails", then dashed again when they were only referring to beach trails. And Trestles is in San Diego County - outside of San Clemente's jurisdiction.

Oh well - let the mayhem continue!

2. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Here’s hoping this is only the first domino to fall.

3. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I done w ebike bashing. its over. When rangers at oaks don't care... if you know ebikers... try to educate them to ettiquette.. that might help in some macro level..
    yesterday I was running w/ dorgi corgi when an ebike that looked like a small moto came barrelling down the trail going the untraditional floop way... he was blasting at 20 mph.. silent... walkers and dogs were getting out of his way..
    he did not slow down.. the problem is people don't expect bikers from that direction.. AND people don't expect some one to go that fast on a non downhill...
    I can see how dirt bikers can now take over local urban trails by riding dirt bikes w/ e motors..

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 7 others like this.
  4. AKAKTM

AKAKTM Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tony A
    Great point. Best we can probably do is to educate eBikers (all new bikers for that matter) about the rules of the trails and just some common decency and manners. They are here to stay.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    When I see a guy who clearly knows what to do, and doesn't give a damn, education isn't an issue. They just don't give a Sh!t.

My friend and I (both pro level on XC bikes), both climbing a hard singletrack and a guy on his eBike says "on your left" and goes through the ruts and weeds instead of waiting 30 seconds where the trail gets wider.

These guys ride eBikes because they have a "me first" mentality, you aren't fixing that with "education".

6. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    I have found that most if not all of them have a me first mentality and serious confirmation bias. I chatted with two e-bikers yesterday in Laguna who claimed they were "so stoked that Crystal Cove is allowing e-bikes." I asked where they heard that and they referenced multiple YouTube MTB personalities. Apparently Crystal Cove allows ebikes on the bike path down by the beach, and specifically bans them on trails...but they took a different interpretation, and believe that as long as you start on the Crystal Cove side, it's legal. They also claimed it's legal anywhere as long as you have a disability. I informed them otherwise, and let them know they are more than welcome to ride on the beach path down in Crystal Cove.

I'm good with them for anybody disabled, fat, lazy, whatever.....just limit assist to 5mph to help enough with uphill pedaling and thats it, anything more is a motorcycle.

Danmtchl, Rumpled, mike and 5 others like this.
  7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Nailed. Despite your previous downplaying that this is a highly prevalent (defining, to my mind) feature of SoCal. : )

That includes everyone in SoCal. The whatever condition group is especially massive.

Danmtchl, Sidewalk, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yup.....The Crystal Cove rule specifically states not allowed on Back Country Trails....which is everything not on the beach boardwalk.

bvader, Danmtchl, mike and 3 others like this.
  9. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I've talked with law enforcement ( in his truck ) on Serrano Ridge who said E-bikes were good to go in that area. This was about 1 year ago or less. ( Last March/ April )

It would be interesting to know if it still holds true today.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and mike like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    California State Parks? Irvine PD? OC Parks? Which one?

Serrano Ridge isn't inside CC State Park, that falls under Irvine PD, then turns into OC Parks when you go under the Toll Rd.

e-bikes.jpg

Danmtchl, Faust29, Sidewalk and 2 others like this.
  11. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    Irvine PD in a white truck on Serrano Ridge.

Danmtchl and Faust29 like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yeah, IPD may allow them on the city controlled trails, but State Park and OC Parks both have newly installed signed indicating "No Ebikes".

Danmtchl, Faust29 and Sidewalk like this.
  13. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Reminds me of Space Mtn closed at night. Who shall enforce the ban? Turns out nobody did. That ban lasted less than 2 years. Then there is that speed limit thing, speed what? we know no limits except what is governed by the gods of gearing and ratio's

Danmtchl, herzalot and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. TwoWheel Eric

TwoWheel Eric Member

Name:
    Eric
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
  15. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Of course, because 95% of coastal socal only gives a #### about the beach

mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  16. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?