Packs

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessory Reviews' started by mike, Oct 13, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yea, not hydration systems, just packs.

I’ve been a Wingnut packs devote for awhile. I used the huge Adventure Pack on the AZT, where the zipper was destroyed by a squirrel. I got a “2.5” off Evdog and have used the hell out of it.

I wanted something a little smaller than 2.5 but larger than my dinky hip pack. The 2.0 seemed right.

2C9AD3E3-763D-4EAE-82F2-20CECE74737F.jpeg

It’s less “lumbar” than the 2.5, but a more useful shape for 2.5 l Platypus bottles. It holds 4.5 liters worth in the reservoir and main pockets. More minimalist design than the 2.5. The wing pockets are smaller but can still fit a fist. Exactly what I was hoping for.

All custom orders, I chose the fabric and reflective seams. I wish I could say the service was great. It took two-plus months to get it and the communication was lacking. Like, don’t state a week turnaround if it’s going to take two months? That PITA aside, the packs are pretty nice.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mansiere!

OK, maybe too low for a mansiere. Enjoy the new stuff carrier, as I am sure you will!

3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I’ve got a few rides with the Wingnut 2.0 pack now.

For me it makes an ideal L&F all-day mission pack or generous short-ride pack. The hydro sleeve perfectly fits 2 liters in a Platypus bottle. The wing pockets are easy to use while wearing it. The cargo net works great for garments or pads. It’s lightweight and unobtrusive sitting on the low to mid back. The minimal main compartment has room for at least a tool kit, C02, first aid, extra layer (maybe two) and a sandwich. Wing pockets good for stuff like beacon, shades, safety gear, snacks, etc. The 2.0 is a nice size between a hip pack and what I think of as a riding backpack (18-22l capacity).

The 2.5 does have slightly more room, but this pack is better in every regard. More vertical design nails it. Really happy with it, it was worth waiting for.

Mikie, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 7 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've decided that I pretty much loathe my current packs (Osprey something or other and Camelbak hip pack), and I've been looking for something new... Thanks for the review on this one!

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 1 other person like this.
  5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I gotta slow down and read closer….I thought it said BACON at first. :inlove:

herzalot, Faust29, bvader and 3 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    2D0CE898-D7C9-4166-9EBF-3E9733F12CE3.jpeg

Faust29, Mikie, Obsidian and 4 others like this.
  7. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Faust29, Mikie, Obsidian and 5 others like this.
  8. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    I used to run a large hydration pack but as I got more comfortable and fit, I found it to be too cumbersome and hurt my lower back. If I can get away with two bottles, I prefer that.

For longer days where I know I will not have a water stop, I now run a running style vest hydration pack. I like the Osprey Duro 6. It hugs my body very tight, still can run a 1.5L hydration pouch, dual chest pockets can hold my phone and snacks. Two rear pockets have plenty of room for tools and more food. I can even stuff my light jacket inside and some other randoms.

It’s much smaller and doesn’t require a waist belt. Since it sits up high, I can still access rear jersey pockets. Unless I’m riding something epic where I need a 3L pouch, this will be my choice for the foreseeable future.

F46D0705-2A95-44EA-9FC2-33DA727938FF.png

9. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    I once thought that I needed to get a new pack because of the lower back pain I was getting from riding with it. Turned out that all I needed to get was a new bike. :D

herzalot, Redman, Danimal and 9 others like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Cool concept. A super light pack can be anywhere on your back.

The Wingnut 2.0 could carry 3+ liters with room to spare. I’d want a waist belt for that.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?