Cleveland National Forest Conditions Blackout

Discussion in 'Trail Maintenance' started by mtnbikej, Aug 4, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Continued resistance……

1. ACTION ALERT - FOREST SERVICE PROTEST SIGNS THIS SATURDAY (OCT 16TH) AT COOK’S CORNER AND THE INTERSECTION OF SILVERADO AND SANTIAGO CANYON ROADS

Since we put out our alert informing the public of the lack of priority in rebuilding the trails damaged by the Holy Jim Fire there has been no effort on the Forest Service to consider rebuilding them a priority or any effort made to inform the public of their intentions.

My real concern is if they don’t make restoration of these trails a priority forest users will create their own - and they will not be sustainable (or ecological in regards to endangered plants trying to recover). Getting our input and labor involved (not mentioned in the FOIA documents) would move the process forward and maybe have some creative ways to make the trail sustainable and challenging.

The fact there has been NO outreach or updates since the fire closure started almost 3 years ago to our organization, the Sierra Club (or the public), which performs 99.9 percent of the trail maintenance - says a lot about the priority placed on reconstruction; they have purposely have kept us in the dark.

If we do not push the Forest Service to make the reconstruction of the trails a priority and to seek the public’s support we may not have those trails back for 2 to 5 years, or instead many illegal and unsustainable trails built by users (especially if they know it will be years before they will be reconstructed).

Darrell Vance, the District Ranger, is known for considering the public’s access to our forest a low priority, both by advocacy groups that have worked to keep the trails open and former employees of the Forest Service that have since retired; no public in the Forest - less work.

We have used the funds raised by our Pow Wow event for the last 25 years to maintain our power equipment used to cut brush and to feed our volunteers who maintain the trails in the National Forest, as well as our advocacy to keep the trails open. Darrell Vance, the District Ranger, is attempting to bankrupt our organization and rob us of funds to continue our maintenance activities and trail access advocacy by not permitting our Pow Wow event in 2022.

We will be having protest banners up this weekend at the intersection of Silverado Canyon Road and Santiago Canyon Road as well as at Cooks Corner at the intersection of Santiago Canyon Road and Live Oak Canyon Road from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. that state “Forest Service give back our access to the forest - make rebuilding of the trails damaged in the fires a priority!”

IF YOU WANT THESE TRAILS RESTORED IT WILL BE UP TO THE PUBLIC TO CONTACT THIER REPRESENTATIVES TO ASK FOR FUNDING AND TO FORCE THE FOREST SERVICE TO TREAT THIER RESTORATION AS A PRIORITY - AND TO SEEK THE HELP OF THE VOLUNTEER GROUPS WHO HAVE MAINTAINED THESE TRAILS FOR YEARS.

THE ONLY WAY TO MAKE THE TRAIL RECONSTRUCTION HAPPEN IS FOR THE PUBLIC TO MAKE IT A PRIORITY AND CONTACT THEIR REPRESENTATIVES - IF THE PUBLIC DOES’NT MAKE IT A PRIORITY - THE FOREST SERVICE WON’T!!!!

UPDATED ACTIONS TO TAKE:

1. Join us at our protest sites at the intersection of Silverado and Santiago Canyon Road and at Cook’s Corner. Bring signs stating “rebuild our trails” and “Remove Darrell Vance as District Ranger"Email us at:

countingcoup@warriorssociety.org

If you intend to join us.

2. Email Nathan Judy, the Forest Service PIO (public information officer ) AND LET HIM KNOW YOU HAVE NO CONFIDENCE IN DARRELL VANCE AS DISTRICT RANGER AND DEMAND A TIME TABLE AND QUARTERLY UPDATES AS TO WHEN THE TRAILS WILL BE OPEN AND THE CURRENT WORK BEING DONE:

nathan.judy@usda.gov

3. Email Darrell Vance and demand quarterly updates as to the progress of the trail rebuilding and to stop the retribution and communication black out against the Warrior’s Society and to allow our Pow Wow event in April 2022:

darrell.vance@usda.gov

Here is the information you need to contact your representatives:

Find your California State Representative: http://findyourrep.legislature.ca.gov

Find your congressman: https://www.house.gov/representatives/find-your-representative

Senator Dianne Feinstein: https://www.feinstein.senate.gov/public/

Senator Alex Paddilla: https://www.padilla.senate.gov

Orange County Board of Supervisors member Lisa Barlett, whose 5th district includes the canyon areas of Orange County: Lisa.Bartlett@ocgov.com (714) 834-3550

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Damn. Let's hope Darrell Vance never gets transferred to the Angeles National Forest.

3. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    He was the Forest Archaeologist at ANF before he went to CNF.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    And I was going to ask if he was a real person. Does he exist? I can't count how many thousands of miles I've done in his forest, and I've never seen him. I saw rangers a few times, in their trucks, but I've never seen Darrell Vance. It's why the motos and 4x4s are really in control down there...

Emmanuel Goldstein of the CNF. :cautious:

Darrell- If you're reading this, and you're more than just an autopen, please jump in!

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yes, he’s been at our events. Office guy.

6. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I just emailed to Nathan:
    Hi, I am a local avid hiker, trail runner, mountain biker, and local ecology enthusiast and love the Santa Ana Mountains. These mountains provide good quality of life and a much needed escape from the crowded living in Orange County. Holy Jim and Trabuco Canyons have been closed long enough from the Holy Fire, and I am aware that the forest service agrees, since it is beginning to be reopened. However it is clear the restoration of the iconic and historic trabuco, west horsethief, and holy jim trails is of low to zero priority to the current management. I believe not restoring the trail system is actually bad for the ecology, because I fear that if the area is open but there is no official sustainable trail system, people might build their own unsustainable trails willy-nilly especially if they have no confidence that official trails are being restored. I have no confidence in Darrell Vance as district ranger, and I demand prioritization of the trail restoration, a timetable and quarterly updates as to when the trails will be restored and open and the current work being done. I also ask you to welcome instead of hinder the assistance of the Warriors Society in this project as they have volunteered as knowleadgable stewards of this land for many years. Thank you

7. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I just emailed Alex Padilla. This should be fun.

8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I need Darrell to focus on my projects on CNF. Y’all please give him space and time so I can get some work done.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It’s not like he’s busy doing anything in the actual forest…

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    You used the term "willy-nilly," so that oughtta get their attention! :thumbsup:

11. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Always gotta throw in a little stank when I wax too eloquent

12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Will media coverage be part of the protest? A press release? I’d be leveraging that with everything I have. Love the grassroots vibe, but a tempest in a teapot will only get one so far.

Edited to add: Maybe downplay the disdain for Ranger Vance. I’m not defending him but think an uprising is more effective when it’s least personal. I know it isn’t personal, but any perception of it is bad for swaying public opinion. And public opinion could be an ace in the hole here.

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Unfortunately everything goes through him. He is the roadblock.

we’ll see what happens.

14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I do understand the chain of command at Trabuco district. Also, that vilifying one individual rather than focusing on District desicions that have led to the current situation has an unsavory lynching vibe to it. Again, not defending Vance – he is in the driver seat. But be smart about it. If WS wants to come off as righteous and vindictive, good luck garnering appreciable public sway. Going ad hominem on Vance is a lame move without citing verifyable facts. It comes off as petty or worse. People are saying...

Drive the narrative rather than waiting to see what happens. PR is a real thing to be managed – suit up for the job. Or keep wringing hands in the MTB echo chamber.

15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Making this a vendetta against some random GS-13 is absolutely going to backfire. This is like yelling at a DMV clerk.

16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    So Congressman Lou Correa sits on the House Ag Committee. Better yet he’s on the Subcommittee on conservation and forestry. I did not know that until just now.

Some of you may live in the noted area below. If you do, go to his website and click on “help with a federal agency.”
    B7B34819-CB7A-4B02-95E5-F2E1CF4C60EC.jpeg
    If you didn’t vote for him, that’s cool, just keep it to yourself. It it matters that you live in his district. Send him a nice note. Let his staff know you’ve got a concern. The staffers usually love actionable requests. If the FS office really is being intransigent, even a 10 word email from an intern can break the ice. Keep it civil, just ask if they could let you know why we aren’t hearing from the FS about trail maintenance plans, or something.

17. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Many of us live here:
    A73EFFC9-FA56-404D-904B-1CAE19029FB6.jpeg
    Katie Porter is on the Public Lands And National Parks Subcommittee of the Natural Resources Committee. Drop her a line. Be nice.

if you’ve never taken a tour of the Capitol, contact your Rep’s office and go! It’s awesome. America is neat-o. Even the bits that don’t share my opinions on orange juice subsidies.

18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Rep. Porter’s office just got this from me:

I’m a mountain biker and frequent user of the Cleveland National Forest. The local club that has partnered with the USFS for decades to maintain the trails has asked the local Ranger office to provide status on the area affected by the Holy Fire. The line of communications between the Trabuco District and the club looks to be cut off, and club members are frustrated.

It would help the situation if the Trabuco district could publish a reopening plan, and hopefully solicit volunteer help in trail restoration as soon as possible. Thank you.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Way to take some leads here, @tick. :thumbsup:

20. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Thanks, Tick! I personalized this and sent it to Pete Aguilar's office... he's not on any of the pertinent committees, but he's #3 in the House leadership, so can't hurt!

Faust29, tick, mike and 1 other person like this.
  21. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    ^^^ This.

Even if Vance is the roadblock don't make it personal against him. Just say the Forest or the District is not being responsive.

And don't ignore local politicians. Even if they aren't federal they can still put pressure and raise awareness

22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Got this. At least they’re reading their messages.

Thank you for contacting our office regarding your issue with the U.S. Forest Service. While we cannot make any guarantees about the outcome of your situation, we are more than happy to see what we can do to help.

Please know that I’ve already reached out to the agency on your behalf and will immediately contact you once I hear back from them with a status update on the area. In the meanwhile, please don’t hesitate to reach out to me by email should you have any questions or concerns.

Best,

Michelle P. Nguyen (She/her)District Staff Assistant
    Congresswoman Katie Porter (CA-45)
    2151 Michelson Drive #195, Irvine, CA 92612
    Office Phone: 949.668.6600

23. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I drafted a comment and deleted it lieu of just saying I had a comment.

Faust29 and mike like this.
  24. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    So not really any new info except Vance acknowledging we’re pissed off. Progress! TFPU, Steve.

26. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    But hey, look at the great work he did getting LHJ open to the falls….it only took 3 years to get that short section fixed. :rolleyes::facepalm::cautious:

kingaucho, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yep. And one can well imagine by the time it was a project it had already been established by poachers.

Faust29, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  28. Old&InTheWay

Old&InTheWay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    2017 Intense Primer Pro
    The new trail closure update from the Warrior's Society answers the big question- What is the cost to repair the trails ?

Capture (124).JPG

Faust29, Cyclotourist, tick and 2 others like this.
  29. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Have the Warriors ever stopped to consider whether they might just be a little tough to work with?

more honey, less vinegar. We need fewer enemies.

30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I got a further response from the FS via Rep. Porter’s office. If I read it one way, it was very dismissive. But if I read it another way, it was an invitation.

dismissive: the FS made a big deal about me not being one of their registered volunteers. And lots of words about the lack of funding due to the fires up north.

invitational: they let the congresswoman’s office know how much they expected the work to cost: $200k. That’s a really good piece of data. If the Warriors show up to Porter’s office with a plan to raise, say, 1/3 of that, and to pledge labor hours equivalent to, say, another 1/3, there are ways to find the rest. Better yet, show up with a plan that meets all the requirements for less money.

If this is a worthwhile project, there are ways to get it done now. $200k is mattress money for the OC MTB community/bike industry.