Bike Case/ Air Travel

Discussion in 'Gear and Accessory Reviews' started by Stkx66, Oct 3, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    I bought a Thule Transition hard bike case from Back Country before our recent trip to Costa Rica so I could have my own trusted bike. As it turns out, me being all Rico Suave, using Active Junky to drop cost was a wash because Back Country uses a third party delivery service for additional cost of 150.00. ( large item delivery ) It took 3 weeks and multiple phone calls to eventually cancel the order due to poor customer service from the delivery company, Ceva Logistics. With stock low I found another Thule case at Rack Attack in Pasadena. The weight of the Thule Transition bike case was 39 lbs. My bike weighs around 30. I stripped off all my add on tools to keep it under 70lbs. to keep weight in the lower cost bracket. 70 lbs. and under was $100.00 one way to Costa Rica from LAX. 70 lbs. and over was $200. There is an accessory tripod in the case that your bike attaches to for ease of assembly ( better for a road bike ) but I could easily attach the handlebars in the case to by pass this cool feature. Without the tripod the case weighed 35 lbs. I was able to have a complete bike in the case with my helmet too which I took to my local Fed Ex and had them weigh it on their floor scale at 69.15 lbs. I put all my accessories in my regular luggage: Tools, tubes, pump, etc. ( No C02 for air travel ) But I had c02 in my back pack I missed which got through.

Thule Transition Bike Case $ 850.00
    Round Trip Air travel to Costa Rica from LAX $100.00 there $ 150.00 return.
    I did see soft sided bike cases in the airport but I have no regrets on the costlier hard sided case I chose.

$850.00 is a lot of cheese for luggage, the price of a fork, but I look at it as a long term purchase.
    ** I had to drag my case around the corner at LAX for further inspection after check in. The meatheads did not know how to put the case lid back on correctly so I stood there and offered help which they eventually reluctantly accepted. I'm glad I waited-
    The Thule Transition bike case mount for the front fork was not Boost so I made my own spacing washers to make up the difference.
    I put a zip tie through both wheel axle holes and around the hub to keep it all together. When I pulled the rear wheel out of its case at our resort in Costa Rica the zip tie was gone.
    One more edit: I bought this toilet brush at a store and used the resorts golf cart/ handling cart disinfectant cleaning station to clean my bike best I could before our return to the USA. I read somewhere that inspectors do not want to see foreign dirt coming into respective countries.
    DFC341B1-9957-4853-A57E-E8DDB9711056.jpeg

7EA406A9-810A-45D8-ABC5-CE9841B36DA8.jpeg

71A9F902-7C23-4D3A-B765-A0ED55564C0A.jpeg

8337A723-3D1D-4395-8DEF-8704B4374E26.jpeg

A4778D03-0CD8-42D7-8FA4-0F8BF777BCB9.jpeg

2B51D487-9D17-49E4-9C74-DB0415A90A68.jpeg

8440A733-6D97-4FBA-BFDC-3E6F9C2AF9D2.jpeg

mtnbikej, Mikie, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Very glad to see Gumby was safe!
    Thanks for these travel tips!

3. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    ;);););)You could probably rent it out on here to recoup some of the dough.
    I am considering taking my bike to Athen, GA. To ride with my bro-in-law.;)

4. 406

406 Member

Name:
    Brian
    Current Bike:
    Ripmo
    Yep, TSA is the problem with hard cases, they open them and never close them correctly. Some airports it is done out of sight, so you can't repack yourself. Soft case with zippers is way to go. I also use the pipe insulation, but cover almost all the frame.

Instagram Link

DangerDirtyD and mtbMike like this.
  5. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Here is a couple of pics of the stand I removed and left at home for our trip and did just fine assembling my bike without it. If I had a lighter bike or road bike the stand is a nice accessory to have but the goal was to keep combined weight under 70 lbs. Thule RoundTrip Transition bike case.

A594F14C-5ADA-4C70-BC36-4C2C41571802.jpeg

8D5BE795-BF1A-4696-9647-FA0FE2802CAD.jpeg

FF3F541C-B12D-4826-BCCC-F31F79C1F4DC.jpeg

BB5DC439-CD76-4CEE-99F7-09690E547994.jpeg

60C85747-CCEF-43C0-8D19-14220690B103.jpeg

mtnbikej, pperrelle, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That looks like a super fancy telescope.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That Hightower has seen some adventures... :thumbsup:

I'm getting the itch to put mine back together... :whistling:

mtnbikej likes this.
  8. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    I'm putting it back together today with 27.5 x 2.8 wheels for sandy conditions.
    This Hightower has been my go-to bike for the unknown places I've visited. It covers most of the trail conditions I've run into. As it gets older hearing the rocks bounce off the wheels and frame well... I get less upset about the damage. :whistling: Really happy with it. :D

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?