Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Hey Kids!
    I'm going to delete this political stuff. I value all the bike love but let's keep it bike love!
    Just a quick heads up the post are going to disappear.
    Hugs and kisses!
    :D

Walleye, mike, Old&InTheWay and 8 others like this.
  2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Back to where you wanna retire? Around here would be nice, as long as its close to the Floop..
    Seriously, would not mind areas near Seattle, but only for July, August, and September....

3. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    :thumbsup::thumbsup:

mike and Mikie like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Can I just say that I've lived in Tennessee, between March and July in 1980, and it purty much sucked weather-wise. By July the humidity was 148% and the breeze don't blow underwater. Even if it did it wouldn't help. :eek::eek::eek::gag::facepalm:

konakc, scan, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  5. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    The humidity sucks but I still ride. I was working 2nd shift in Miss and living in a Hilton in La. I would work on my ranch in the Am getting drenched. Leave and ride the Bayou trail until 1, shower and pick up dinner at a local joint. I was on per Diem so restaurant food it is (again). The weather was always changing 95% Rh and 95 degrees, but then the lightning storm would come in and it would be 85 degrees and 99.9 % Rh. It was not 100 because as you are pumping to keep speed your breath condenses right in front of your eyes. Really freaked me out the first time. It is what it is, you let it rule you or you rule yourself. One day on the Bayou trail a dude with an awesome carbon roadie comes up and has me drag him around a bit, later we change positions. He says "where you from?" I say California. He says "all you dudes from California are fast". I rode around with him again and he lead me on the local roads between the interstate and the lake.
    Good times Ya all down on the Bayou

Faust29, Danimal, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  6. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Never been to MS but my sister went to LSU in Baton Rouge so I know all about that humidity. I went back there and helped them move to Northern LA (Ruston....50 miles east of Shreveport). We literally loaded ONE item in the truck, albeit a piano, but I was DRENCHED in the first 15 minutes. In my younger days, I loved working out in the humidity but as I got older and you coupled the heat with the humidity, it felt like my brain was boiling on longer runs. I'm no fan of the bayou.

scan, Faust29, BonsaiNut and 6 others like this.
  7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I did my basic and advanced infantry training in Ft. McClellan, AL, outside of Anniston. Then I went to jump school in Ft. Benning, GA. Nothing like sitting out on hot tarmack loaded up with gear waiting for your plane to get fueled so you could go jump out of it... and then run across the field carrying all your gear including your deployed chute. And the barracks didn't have A/C. I don't think I stopped sweating for about six months :)

I don't really have a problem with the summer heat here in NC because the trails are in full shade. I can run or bike and it really isn't that bad, even during the heat of the day. Nothing like climbing Black* in the full sun when it is 100 :)

Mikie, mtbMike, Danimal and 4 others like this.
  8. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    And just like that, my name is on the transfer list. If anything happens, it will be after the first of the year at which time I can just say no. Just thinking it might be easier to relocate and get established while I'm still employed.

9. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    How does the transfer list work? Do you just request the location you want and hope it comes up? That would be ideal…

10. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Exactly. The hub is actually in Prescott Valley which is growing rapidly right now so the odds are good. We'll have a lot to discuss over the next few months so if it turns out to not be feasible, I'll just turn it down if and when my number comes up. By then I'll only have a couple of years to go anyways.

11. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Cool, that’s how my buddy who worked at the Post Office ended up in Thomaston, GA. For those who are looking for a place in the Sweet Tea States, he sure talks that place up, if you’re looking for green acres and mellow vibes at prices a non-Saudi-prince can afford.

jealous of all y’all who could take their jobs to the desired destination. The places I’ve been offered relocation to over the years are either essentially same-same as here IMO (PNW, Front Range CO) or totally undesirable/usually underwater (coastal TX, FL).

25 years ago I had a job offer near Tullahoma, TN. If you thought you could get into the lakefront home thing, the big CA exodus to TN hasn’t gone that far south yet, and Tim’s Ford Lake is set in some pretty hills. The MTB scene just south in Alabama is starting to ramp up too.

So you say Prescott Valley is growing a lot…man, what a conundrum. I suppose you can just take your capital gains and keep fleeing into the hinterlands if you start getting stuck in traffic on the way to Denny’s for breakfast with your fellow retirees.:laugh:

12. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    A neighbor a few miles from our house in NWA thought it would be nice to send us a pic of our driveway and the trees turning. Reached out to find someone who knew how to contact us and sent me this…
    She stated, “You are going to love fall in Arkansas!”
    DF465BFF-E21F-43A0-8B90-C4D00E34FF64.jpeg

Who thinks to be so kind like that? :thumbsup:

AKAKTM, OTHRider, Oaken and 15 others like this.
  13. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    Beautiful.

mtnbikej, Mikie and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  14. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Things are going south so fast. I am afraid if I pull the trigger that the price of everything will have me eating cat food and getting medical at clinicas. Better than county but not by much

Mikie likes this.
  15. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Pffft…we arrived here in mid July. Yeah, it’s humid but not tropically humid (FL, Mazatlan, Cabo, etc.).

We love it here and have no desire to return to SoCal. I could’ve chosen to live anywhere in the country (North America for that matter) and chose here.

16. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    It’s a beautiful thing!

909151B4-3616-407F-9E77-2174D2B2E2D4.jpeg

41C20179-5BE4-4A7F-9149-A6A381E03770.jpeg

B1F38F08-24F0-4FFB-BFBD-210AE73E8C14.jpeg

Oaken, OTHRider, CBone and 7 others like this.
  17. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Story please... Who, what where, when....

Beautiful photos!

Mikie likes this.
  18. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Thanks.

Wife and son, Knoxville (home), earlier this week.

These pics are from Halloween. You can see there were still a bit of leaves on the trees.

6BFF2625-9C31-427B-AEB7-81A00E8ECB51.jpeg

07F25CA3-1355-421D-8E2E-48EEEEDFF5D9.jpeg

mtbMike, OTHRider, jimbowho and 9 others like this.
  19. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I spotted @Mikie 's Time Machine while passing through the high desert a couple days ago. Didn't have time to say hello but looks like he's got it all set up for the move to Arkansas :Roflmao

mw.jpg

herzalot, Oaken, da big hills and 8 others like this.
  20. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    UPDATE: My own sister is a world class Hogwasher! Getting a drivers license was beyond stupid. Had to get a SS card, knowing my number and providing I.D. and DL from Ca not good enough. Needed birth certificate, mine with the baby footprints and moms thumb print not good enough. Sent for 62-year old original, application, notary blah blah. Three banking institutions letters with my new address. Cop comes out to verify your vin. Four trips to DMV they only divulge one thing at a time.

When I aced the tests, eyes, I asked about my registration. (Oh ah ya you have to go to Ottawa county for that) what? It's in Minneapolis Ks. Basically a big building with a couple people working. Luckily I thought to get auto insurance beforehand.

THERE'S MORE: The application for the B-cert had addresses on the back, sent it to City of Angels Hospital. They sent it back with a rubber stamp and said to send it to this address and to send 25.00 :confused: and notarized.

MORE: I go to a UPS store with a nice notary lady, she stamps it. I ask how can I guarantee they get this and fast? For 20.00 it goes in a big envelope for overnight. Good, she said I'll transfer everything to the big envelope and goes behind the glass and plays with buttons for ten minutes. Then I bought some manila folders and she handed me the old envelope and various receipts.
    And tracking stuff.

ABOUT: Four days later l look at the stuff she handed me back (the check for 25 was in the old envelope) :bang::cry: totally my fault I should have double checked her. I waited for them to send it back, they did with a note "need the money basically. So I did it again, but slow mail. Four months to get a Ks lic. Plate-lic-sticky on the way. Maybe.

Hope you enjoyed my rant. Ps it's freakin 4-degrees tonight.

21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Oh man what a pain. I think it's the new "real ID" crap that causes it all for you.

And it'll be mid 60s today, a little chilly but getting ready for a mtb ride anyway. Might have to put a light vest on too for the start.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 7 others like this.
  22. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Harsh but the light vest was un-called-for.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I wore a rash guard today… but only for the evening session.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  24. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    low 60's is long lycra, cotton long sleeve, cotton short sleeve and nitrile gloves under my gloves

Danimal, Cyclotourist and Mikie like this.
  25. da big hills

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    Soon, I was given a little job to push the first article and the next two pieces over the goal line. 17 days ago. "We do not want to ruin your Christmas". So I open the package, WOW like a can of snakes in a magic show. Parts built to unreleased work instructions, specialty specs unreleased, my company's supporting documents unreleased. I tell the team "are you sure? this is the kind of stuff that can get you fired". Well I keep digging and it gets worse and worse, there is no good story here. I get lectured Friday that we went in together hand in hand. I say that is my disposition built to unreleased docs because "we see eye to eye?" This is going to customer review board I cannot see me keeping that story in front of people. Well today I get lectured again how I do not get it. I changed my dispo from "release the build documents". My boss gets totally pissed and quits saying we already told you. So I changed my dispo to "Ok as is". My boss changes his mind, not quitting. I can't wait to face the government review board. I worked this for the last 17 days straight and found all those snakes. Ugly picture. Then retire.

Danimal, Mikie and xhuskr like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have no idea what you are talking about... :gotnothing: I'm not even sure I know what you do! :Roflmao;)

herzalot and Danimal like this.
  27. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I dont know either, but kinds filled in with my own scenario.

Presented with some preliminary software.

It's completely jacked up and near useless and Da Hills calls them out on it.

Boss says use it anyway, why, cause he's the boss and doesn’t know better.

Da hills relents and says ok.

Now he's worried this govmnt project is so f'ed up they'll be called into a congressional hearing for an explanation.

Either that or the game boy stopped working.

28. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Costa Rica is looking VERY attractive right now. $2-3m sets you up for a life of luxury.

29. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    Lots of red tape though for ex-pats. But love Costa Rica and hopefully going back soon with our kids.

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    But the weather in Central America isn't attractive.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?