Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Most of the "culture" in California these days is bacterial....:eek:

2. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    That could be, the viral kind is start to subside .

Mikie and Runs with Scissors like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I’m fourth generation SoCal, and I say “all y’all.”

if the English language had a different second person plural I’d use it. Of course I didn’t come by it naturally, I work with a lot of folks from the y’all part of the country.

My best man moved from Irvine to rural Georgia to get all the things everyone who leaves SoCal wants: a riding lawnmower, an affordable mortgage, less traffic, etc.

He’s black, his wife is Puerto Rican. Let’s just say that his family has found it hard to fit in, which wasn’t an issue in here in OC.

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    The riding mower didn't work out?

Oaken, da big hills, Redman and 8 others like this.
  5. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    So awesome. I think you got a steal and while there will always be drawbacks of some sort, the overwhelming positives will make them seem trivial. I’ve been back in SoCal a week to visit family and while it’s been great to ride with old friends, I can’t wait to get back to a slower pace, open land, sub $3 gasoline and 1/1,000,000th of the traffic.

jimbowho, OTHRider, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Seems like everyone we call on the phone in NWA, like utility services, first off they actually answer the phone on the third ring... then when we get the biz out of the way, they want and sit and talk about nothing in general. Like they want to get to know us or something. Weird.

OTHRider, da big hills, Oaken and 6 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It used to!

8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ha-ha...I remember when my son was getting ready to head to Boise State in 2012, I called the DMV up there and was totally caught off guard when a human answered the phone. She almost hung up on me because I was waiting for the rest of the recording after “Good morning, Ida County DMV, how May I help you”? I then learned his truck registration was going to cost us $128 for TWO years, that’s even cheaper than the $599 I paid for FIVE years in AZ on my Ford F150 FX4.

9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Congratulations, Mikie and Cathy! :thumbsup:

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The south would call that complicated. We just went to the nearest drug store and they printed everything (licenses, registrations, etc...) on the spot. :Roflmao

I really thought my neighbor was bull Sh!t*** me when he told me to go get my license at the drug store... :laugh:

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Thanks Bud! You have a new place to hang out! ;)

Cyclotourist, mike and senderos_949 like this.
  12. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    When I told my sister I'm not driving anywhere with these Ca plates, where's the DMV? She laughed and explained that one of
    The LEO's job duties is to come out to your residence and do all registration needs on the spot. And at ten cents on the dollar.
    Well how's he/she going to do smog? More laughter.

When I called the "leftovers Café" to ask if I could order some food and come pick it up, she says (well sure honey what would you like?) I didn't but I wanted to ask her to marry me, I think it moved:facepalm:

13. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Hear ye! Hear ye!

Faust29, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

And then we wised up and left that confusion to the Germans. :Roflmao:Roflmao

No language needs 7 ways to say "the," either. :thumbsup:

Faust29, Mikie and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
  17. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    A plant that grows diamonds! Damn.... that as good as a money tree :)
    Can I order one online?

18. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo

Through the years I've learned that no LEO contact is a good way to go. Voluntarily asking then to come to my house? Hell....I'd rather pull my nose hairs out one at a time.

Hhmmm...turn light out, tires below reg, loose chickens in the yard, and I don't like the way you look. Up against the wall sucker!

19. jimbowho

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Goodbye Hooligans. I expect everyone to behave until I surface again. Next stop DQ. No E-bikes ok?

herzalot, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  20. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    That makes eyes watery. Ya gotta pinch up and hard to grab at least 3 or 4 at a time.

21. jimbowho

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Hello fellow mtbrs. Been in Ks now for about a month. (The good)=Everything. ( The bad)=Mosquitoes & wet air. I have not ridden yet, but I did find tubes for the Klunker at WalMart, and Moldbuilder at HobbyLobby. I'm being a wuss and waiting until it's under a 100°. First stop about 25-miles away is Wilson lake. 20 miles of single-track & switchback around the lake. We'll see?
    Hope all is well with Allyall.. PS, Mikie set me up with a small 26er Stumpy for my sister ((It's too big))o_O She was 5'ft but she's lost a couple inches somehow? Too funny..

22. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I posted this 5 years ago. Well, our minds are all but made up. Prescott is strongly in the lead for our retirement destination.

23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I'm sure you'll hate it. :whistling: Luckily you'll have easy access to Sedona and Flagstaff and even PHX isn't too far for a day trip when it occasionally snows. Lots of gravel grinding to be had out towards Chino Valley too.

24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    It's almost like you were there when I was discussing all of the same options with Jess. ;)

25. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I like the thought of south central Tn. I also like Vancouver Wa. But it snows there a little which would not be good. With inflation going crazy I begin to wonder if you can ever retire

Sasquatch9billion and mtbMike like this.
  26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    We missed you on Saturday. We listened to big rig noise up and down the road.

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm still waiting to hear from the Fed gov't how they plan on getting us to repay the $219,000 every household owes in national debt. Free money from the government is always loads of fun... until the bill comes due.

Of course, we can just run up 50% inflation, and it accomplishes the same thing. Ask the Germans how they paid WWI reparations. As I tell the kids... is the stock market and real estate market going up? Or is the value of the dollar just going down? Hope all y'all are telling your employers you expect 10% pay increases this year... just to stay even with inflation!

2020_US_Federal_Budget_Infographic.png

28. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    TN absolutely has some of the best tax benefits in retirement. It's a beautiful state with tons of charm outside the major cities. Lots of small town Americana to be had. Both Nashville and Knoxville average 6.5" of snow per year. What would bother me more is the humidity. I'd definitely want to live on a lake.

29. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Yup... Imbt is the one place u can go wo having to read about politics...
    Floop anyone?

30. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    That's why I post about the Federal debt. Because hopefully no one will argue that any one political party, or for that matter, President or Congress, got us in the situation we are in today. It is politics, sadly, and the fact that if you promise your constituency free Sh!t, you are more likely to get elected. No one will ever get elected by promising to cut government programs and increase taxes. And so where does that leave us? With a $6.6 trillion budget being paid for with $3.4 trillion in revenue.

I tried to do that once with credit cards. It didn't work out well :) But I'm not the Federal gov't :)

Old&InTheWay, Obsidian and UPSed like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?