What would $160 shorts be like?

Discussion in 'Shorts' started by mike, Jul 31, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Normally I'd never know. But at 50% off, I was tempted to find out.

Mons Royale brand Momentum 2.0 shorts.

One ride in, my favorite riding shorts. Easily beats the Zoic, Endura, Patagonia, Dakine shorts I've ridden in. Stretchy material (on the burly side) is a Merino wool blend. The design, fit and detailing is as outrageous as the price. Purists won't like the velcro adjusters, but it does have belt loops. The side vents are long. Comfortable and long enough legs that the hems don't ride up my thighs during low-seat pedaling.

Most times you get what you pay for. Sometimes you get a little more? These things kick ass so far, let's see about longevity.

https://us.monsroyale.com/products/momentum-2-0-bike-shorts-black

upload_2021-8-2_10-29-55.png

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I've had MTB shorts at all price points (up to $120) and #1: If they came with a padded liner, the liners have sucked and #2: When I'm sitting on my bike and riding, I can't tell what shorts I'm riding so I stopped opening stupid $$ on shorts. I've been wearing sub $15 shorts from Costco over quality chamois for several years now. Aside from the color fading from all the washing, they've held up BETTER than the pricey Club Ride shorts I used to prefer.

UPSed, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  3. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Getting to what works for you is the main thing. I wear any kind of shorts on shorter rides. Many of the cheap shorts I've owned over time have given better performance than some MTB shorts I've had. For serious efforts and no diaper I scrutinize the shorts selection thoroughly, and I can feel the differences in various shorts when I'm riding and sometimes afterward.

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My favorites the past few years have been Fox and Troy Lee. A few months ago, I wore an old pair of Performance Bike shorts that were in the closet. I can't even tell the brand, because the label is so so worn. But they are softer and stretchier than the others- more like a bike messenger short. When I go back to the Troy Lee and Fox, they seem really stiff.

How are these compared to others you've used just in terms of flex?

5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The fabric has two-way stretch, so they are pretty forgiving. More stretch than any riding shorts I’ve owned.

Despite the generous vents I don’t think these are warm-weather shorts.

I like putting something in my front hip pocket and feeling like there’s no way it could fall out. Most shorts the pocket is too short or not anchored internally; those like to auto-dump when you sit in a car seat and the struggle to hold even a small smartphone. I’m looking at you, Endura and Zoic.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Thanks for the review... :thumbsup: I'm going to be in need of some new riding attire soon...

The only shorts I've used with a front pocket that generous and secure are the Troy Lees. I can put my gigantic computer phone in there with no issues, and it zips shut. Any other shorts and the phone is in a jersey pocket or in the pack.

7. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    There are two deep hip pockets that don’t zip. Inside one is a smaller zipped pocket that’s a little too high on the hip to hold a phone comfortably. So unless one trusts the normal hip pockets, these shorts really don’t have a great place for a phone. Although I’ve lost a phone from a shallow pocket, I do trust these pockets to retain contents other than for spinal inversions.

Sasquatch9billion, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I don’t know how you guys ride with crap in your shorts pockets. My Tasco shorts have a phone pocket and ibises it for about 10 mins before it drove me mad.

I have a hard enough time dealing with my car keys in the zippered pocket.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That's what I think when I see you with your jersey pockets stuffed. :Roflmao That would drive me nuts.

10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sometimes I don’t know exactly where I’m going; a phone in a pocket is handy versus nerding out with a screen mounted on the bars or using a frame bag. If one never leaves his home trails it won’t be an issue. :p:D

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    thats why I have jersey pockets.

12. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I like to wear my worn out roadie shorts (aka: the ones with holes) under whatever shorts I have available. Shirt is just whatever tech fabric shirt I already have on (I have probably 30 from running events).

I bought one fancy pair of Specialized Swat bibs with shorts. Very nice, real comfortable and useful. But I never wear them because I don't want to ruin them for the rare occasion I feel like I need them :facepalm:

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I find the phone pocket on the Tasco shorts ideal. The phone doesn't flop around and is accessible so I can take the occasional photo. Both front pockets are zippered. One holds the key fob ( not actual keys) and I don't have to worry about losing it.

The Patagonia shorts thigh pocket with the phone in it just flops around and drives me nuts, not much use. The hip pockets don't zip so near usless when riding except for a paper towel. Otherwise they are good fitting shorts but do need to wear a pack.

TLD, not a huge fan any longer of their shorts as the Velcro scratches me, there's no where to put a belt, hip pockets have no zipper. But used to use them as my go to.

I think that I'm getting too picky, now get off my lawn!

14. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Kudos @mike I hope those Dee-Liver! :thumbsup:

I despise jersey pockets. Actually, I despise short pockets as well... Okay... I'll fess up, I actually do not like baggies in general.
    I don't like anything in my pockets or even have pockets. I want to go ride bikes, not be in a photo shoot for Bike Magazine for the latest fashions.
    But Social Pressures and MTB Fashion Police like @herzalot keep you on your toes for properly coordinated kits...
    :eek: It's like the Soup Nazi!
    Just sayin' :D

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    You mean those three along the back bottom with the elastic along the top? You trust that with a phone? Moot point – I don't wear shirts that are only for biking.

Mikie, Faust29 and Sasquatch9billion like this.
  16. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I visited the Rapha “boutique” in Aspen last week. Holy crap. As always: if you want to spend more, someone will help you with that.

17. XPLORE

XPLORE Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    James
    Current Bike:
    Carbon HT 29er
    Been wearing Columbia Silver Ridge shorts for over ten years for every ride, oustanding comfort and durability, great for hiking too.

Columbia shorts.jpg

18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    The only thing I have in my pockets when I ride is a single car key and a sunglass cloth if my jersey doesn't have one. Everything else is in my hip pack or backpack.

I'll let you all in on a little secret I'm not really an MtB fashionista. I like to point out what seems to be fashionable and what seems to be otherwise, but mostly mocking fashion. I really couldn't care less what anyone wears while mt biking, unless it's a male wearing a thong or mankini. Or sandals. I have to draw the line somewhere. Sorry @Bill

19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    If there were an iMTBtrails thong or mankini, I’d be all over it.

Sasquatch9billion, mike and herzalot like this.
  20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Bill heading down Joplin in sandals was the most badass thing I have ever witnessed. :laugh: