Arkansas Y’all!

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Jun 8, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I think your experience is more typical than you might expect. I’ll grant that there’s a lot of chauvinism is 1st gen immigrants, particularly the men. I guess I’m willing to cut them a little slack, except let’s face it, they were pretty sore losers when Pulisic buried that penalty kick into Mexico’s goal last week.

But I’m not convinced that immigrants per se are a cause of California’s “problems.” Our “problem,” for the purposes of this thread, is that people want a way of life that California no longer offers at a middle class price tag. There’s a long list of reasons, but that’s mostly a supply and demand thing. For every seller, there’s a buyer, and “everyone is leaving California as fast as possible, because it keeps getting more expensive to buy a house” makes zero sense from an Econ 101 perspective.

As for social issues like crime, Boise looks like Moreno Valley from a crime stats perspective. But hey, it’s all white people stealing your stuff, so it’s ok I guess.

I’m literally watching paint dry right now. (Touching up some trim on the front of the house). So I have time to elaborate on the issues of the day, at the expense of Mikie’s thread.

HBkites, Oaken, konakc and 9 others like this.
  2. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Agree completely. When I lived in Germany I tried desperately to learn the language and be respectful of their culture and traditions... and the locals loved me for it (literally... but that's another story :) )

There are a large number of reasons why I left Calif0rnia, but the primary reason had nothing to do with California and everything to do with family and wanting to get back closer to parents and siblings. That said... I am saving a ton of money. Car insurance costs 1/3 as much... same cars, same drivers. We cut our monthly utility expenses in half... while running A/C 24/7 during the summer. No irrigation for a lush green lawn, etc. But I wasn't really a California lover, so my opinion is biased. I appreciated it for what it was - the coast, the weather, etc. But I am a hardwood forest kinda of guy. I've canoed the Wisconsin river, camped on Beaver Island in the middle of Lake Michigan. Slept under the stars by a lake in upper Wisconsin that didn't have road access. It was time for me to return east :)

Redman, Walleye, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  3. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    Just thought I would add that I've been quoted $15k-$20k for my pump track (~200 yard loop) on my property in TN. The two contractors are working on putting together the story boards now. F@ck CA!

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and UPSed like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I know there are things that make every state great and some things not so much. I don't want to get into a State bashing contest. The overwhelming dissapointment for me to leave California is Gi-Normous! The weather, the trails, the mtb community. California has it all... especially geographically.

I just can't afford to retire here. Makes me sad, so I choose to get excited about what I can afford and embrace it. Just seems like the right thing to do.

5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's where we're at. We could retire here but we would just be getting by. We'd rather be somewhere where we can continue to do what we like to do. New bikes aren't cheap you know.

6. Maderas84

Maderas84 Member

Name:
    Andres
    Current Bike:
    Ibis, Pivot & Santa Cruz
    I understand your position.

Affordability wasn't an important factor in our decision to relocate to TN. I would say 80% of it is raising my son in an entirely different world...planet for that matter. Of course, being a drought-free, green environment is a massive win!!

7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Been in Carbondale, CO this week. 50% of out-of-state license plates are Florida, 25% Texas, 5-10% California. I don’t get the Florida thing. It’s just uncanny. They aren’t rentals, and they don’t all look like snowbirds.

Wherever we end up, there needs to be a river. We were in the used sporting goods store the other day, I almost bought a well used whitewater boat. Then I remembered that Santiago Creek is not normally runnable.

8. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    One of my favorite old quotes - the worst part about France is all the French people :) I got it from a visitor from France :)

I will never bash California. I bash Californians in general, and the California government specifically. "Paved paradise, and put up a parking lot". If I listed pros and cons of the state, the pros are all natural, and the cons are all directly related to people, sprawling development, cost of living, environmental impacts, etc. No one will ever say Yosemite valley is not one of the most amazingly beautiful places ever... but it was literally being killed by its popularity. By moving to California I became part of the problem. Moving away, I am now part of the solution :)

Not for the first time have I wondered, when I find somewhere wild, if I am doing a disservice by posting about it publicly.

9. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Funny, being a native californian I remember an old bumper sticker "Welcome to California, now go home"

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well first off... I am French. :gotnothing:
    No, seriously... I am.
    I have never met my Father and was raised by my Step Father who's last name is Watson, thus... Mike Watson.
    My original name was Michael Paul Bruneau. Now that the Feds and IRS KNOW that, I'm a wanted man. Just kidding about that.
    So when people use swear words, then say, "Pardon my French!"
    I tell them, "But Wait! I'm French!" It's actually the truth! :p

I know it's difficult to share your version without folks getting all wrapped around the axle into politics. America is now "Home to the Millennial's, and Land of the Polarized" not quite the original lyrics or intent today.
    After church last Sunday, Cathy and I drove through a Carl's Jr. to get a quick bite to eat. We ordered a Southwest Chicken Sandwich, a Western Bacon Cheese Burger (hold the lettuce), two medium orders of criss-cut fries (extra well done), and two medium sized diet cokes... just over $27.00 dollars. And... the burgers were not anything like the picture and not that good. What the heck's my point?
    California is the state of paying more and getting less, and you can even get a side of attitude with it. I'm not bashing my friends or actually attempting to bash the state they live in. It's just the truth.

Defending California is like defending your favorite sports team. We tend to fight for them regardless of faults or truths.
    I have to remember that as people are raised up now-a-days, they have not experienced what older generations have experienced and what they hold dear.

Where Carl's Jr. "used" to be a college job to help pay for books while getting through school, now serving burgers is a career job. So for young folks driving through to get a couple burgers, nearly $30 bucks is totally normal to them.

Just a slice of thought, I just do not want, and can not afford the place, as well as the side of attitude you get with it.
    But don't panic! We have the internet to make all things equal across our once great nation in due time! :)

11. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    BAM! I remember that. lol!

12. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm a native Californian but my family moved to Oregon when I was young. I came back when I was 18 but I'm ready to go back to Oregon.

@Mikie, I seem to be having the "California is way too expensive to live in anymore" conversation with a lot of my customers these days. Most of them are tired of paying more and getting less.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I love CA. I try to visit often. :sneaky:

14. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Soooo, about Florida. I’m sure some of you have heard on the news that Disney is moving most of their CA offices to FL.
    That most likely includes my husbands position as well. We’re waiting for the phone call :gotnothing:

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Well this is a significant bummer...
    All of your elevation gain will be when you ride atop an overpass of a highway.
    What happen to the tele-commuting concept?

16. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Yuck

17. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Went to a Wendy's in Geneva about 15 yrs ago. We had a salad bar, grilled chicken sandw. and 2 waters. Totalled $75. Water was great, straight from Mt Blanc. :confused:

18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Have patience.... America is catching up. :)

19. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    The corrupt Disney is of course, more about the $$ than putting their employee’s happiness. They’ll save a truckload by moving the offices there.
    On a good note, I do like the gov of FL..that’s about it

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    :( :( :(

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    No like! :thumbsdown:

22. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    #swampgirlsara

OTHRider, mike, Walleye and 10 others like this.
  23. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    What does Mr. Ford do at Disney? cough: @Faust29 :cough. Also, I could try to help with a job/career shift if there would be a good fit with LSA.net and you (plural) are interested.

24. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Alligators and swamps! What more could you ask for… If you’re not a fan of CA Disney, you really won’t like Florida Disney- “World” in Disney parlance. It, literally, rules the entire Central Florida economy, and is several orders of magnitude bigger than it’s CA cousin.

And probably a cut in pay to adjust for the lower cost of living… They have spreadsheets for East to west and west to east transfers. Been through that…

Think Osceola County… Pick up 100 acres… :p

25. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I haven't been everywhere but I've been to FL a few times and visited Orlando, Tampa, Daytona and Miami. Absolutely my least favorite state by a long shot...and that doesn't even take mountain biking into play. No body of water is safe other than "most" swimming pools....an ex co-worker retired to FL but his wife said "we're outta here" 6 months later when they had an alligator in their swimming pool.

Walleye, scan, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  26. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I guess you got to work with what you got...

27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I really need to take a minute to proofread :facepalm:

I know, you guys:unsure:.....this is HUGE change, more importantly we’d be leaving our kiddos, IF we go...IF!
    Brent may retire early, maybe a few years and we can haul azz outta there.
    @DangerDirtyD we appreciate the offer amigo, but he has sooo many years into the company..he wants to ride it out. Can’t blame him. This was a total shock to his whole dept:(:poop::cry: we’ll keep our homes here, no reason to sell if we’re coming back.

28. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    We like to talk about mountain lion attacks here in California... I never understood that when there's been only a handful of attacks in the last century. The year we left Florida, there were 3 fatal gator attacks in one week. All walkers snatched off of sidewalks in populated areas. They are usually good for a quick blurb on the news... :confused:

Gators, literally, are everywhere... One of my funniest memories is seeing our head custodian sweeping one out of the high school courtyard with a broom a few minutes before the summer school kids arrived. Only a 7 or 8 footer... :D

Walleye, scan, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The grass can be a lot greener... A lot greener.

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    That is a cool wood structure and I bet it's a blast to ride but that doesn't make it MOUNTAIN biking. The highest point in FL is 345' high. The place is flatter than Kansas......KANSAS for cripes sake!!! Like my signature line says "just because you're riding a bike on dirt doesn't make it mountain biking".

Walleye, scan, Cyclotourist and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?