Hip Pack: Which Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by Mikie, Jul 18, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I get concerned when someone, myself included, stashes a pump against her spine. A frame clip is a minimalist solution to landing on a hard rod perpendicular to the spinal cord. I did hear of a paralysis case like that, though it might have been a regular pack and not a hip pack.

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Luis!

I hear there's a night ride coming up in Wrightwood...

Mikie, Danmtchl, mike and 1 other person like this.
  3. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I must be getting old cus I don’t hear so well…
    :p

4. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    My exact thoughts on the subject, but I am disheartened to hear this set-up contributed to the terrible outcome. For the Super Strawberry rides, I decided to wear a full backpack instead of mounting all gear and hydration on the bike so that I could have an added layer of protection if I were to tumble over the edge. A partial pack as described in the premise of this thread seems the most likely to result in an acute impact to the spine.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Packing for protection versus for minimalism seem a bit at odds. I agree, that turgid little ball at the mid-low back isn’t going to afford nearly the protection of a regular pack filled loosely with the right items. My solution…stop landing on my back!

6. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    When you are rolling on Minions, minimalism applies only to the mileage and elevation gain of a ride.

7. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    That is my own term for it, I should trademark that. People usually laugh when I say it, but nervously. But I have the Bontrager Rapid pack not the EVOC. If you are interested in it, it’s yours.

8. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    Pinch Flat Designs - https://pinchflatdesigns.net

I enjoy supporting Made in USA companies whenever possible. These are made by a guy in his home. His Dropper Pack sells out pretty quickly when he makes a batch. Of all the hip packs I have used, his is the most used and the one I go back to.

9. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    The Bontrager BITS tools aren’t much smaller than a standard multi tool. They also are solidly built and would be hard pressed to see one break inside a frame. It’s nice to have the parts available so I don’t have to wear a pack if I don’t want to.

10. jaime

jaime Well-Known Member

Name:
    jaime
    Current Bike:
    '20 YT Jeffsy carbon 27'5
    20210720_163843.jpg I have two of those...
    One is outdoor brand that I got at walmart years ago and the other one is a camel back which I got it at ross stores for $12.99 :thumbsup:.
    Both are use for rides under an hour or floop since there is plenty places to get water along the ride.
    Both of them have a small zipper bag and a side mesh pocket. Good for DL and insurance card, some cash and a couple granola bars, sometimes I put a multitool as well. :thumbsup:

11. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    You got that right! Adonis, I am no more…:oops:

12. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I watched a YouTube Channel dude who recommended the same thing. Also heard the magnet system on Camelbak is way better and the guy recommended making the switch.

13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I have a very minimalist Dakine hip pack. I dont know that name, but it is to hold a wallet, phone when I need to carry the work phone too ( when I'm doing rides during the hours when I'm 'spose to be working:whistling:) tp etc, and not much else. It hold more, I just don't put it in.
    As I have no ass, any more weight and it feels like it's slipping off unless I wrench it so tight it'll squeeze to :poop: out of me.

Along with the small lezine seat bag and a water bottle on the bike I'm good to go for up to a couple hours.

Any more time, or if I need to add/shed layers, then the camelbak comes out. I don't even notice the pack anymore so a non issue.
    20210720_194144.jpg

Fueledbyex8, herzalot, UPSed and 7 others like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    This guy posted on MTBR when it occurred. His was a shock pump in a Camelback. https://www.bicycling.com/training/a20016773/pack-wisely-to-save-your-spine/

15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
  16. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    My pump stays on the bike frame in a pork chop bag. That is good to know tho..what an awful injury, I can’t even imagine!

17. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    I have purchased and returned 4 Hip packs and 3 regular backpacks in the past two weeks, as I search desperately for a new pack. The hip packs for the most part were comfortable but I felt like the waist strap had to be cinched to tight for me to feel confident it won’t bounce around. I settled on the Osprey Syncro 5 liter, sleek profile, enough room for all gear, 85 oz bladder, and weights under 8lbs fully loaded. Has mesh back panel that keeps pack off your back.

1CCC2359-3C74-4729-BBA2-B70D26BC7C06.jpeg

A8C12218-4A9D-44C2-8607-F431FA854633.jpeg

Mikie, ongster, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  18. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I have an Osprey Savu hip pack but more often than not I reach for my Syncro 10 backpack. It’s light, has great storage, carries well and the magnetic bite valve attached to the chest strap is magic. Osprey makes great stuff.

Mikie, mike, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  19. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have the Raptor 10 and loved it....until I started riding with a hip-pack. I resisted for the longest time because of the water capacity as I thought I was the opposite of a camel. Once I rode with the hip-pack for a couple weeks straight, there was no going back. Total game changer for me. Cooler, no weight on the shoulders, cooler and 90% of the time I forget I'm wearing it. It's also much cooler with the air blowing across my back.

Mikie, mike, Danimal and 5 others like this.
  20. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Seems like hip packs have gone in and out of popularity at least twice, as @herzalot stated earlier "years" ago. I tried a camel back hip pack about 7-10 yrs ago. I had a 50 oz camelback that I used on longer rides and didn't like the sweaty feel. I found the hip pack just switched the sweat to my lower back.....not really any better. I hate heat!!! I bought the Osprey , with the mesh like structure that keeps the pack OFF of your back and I really liked it and use it now on longer rides. There is some airflow between the pack and your back! My 2 cents

Mikie, ongster, mike and 4 others like this.
  21. Bluesrider

Bluesrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Todd
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower
    That suspended mesh back panel is a game changer. If you happen to overstuff your pack you don’t feel all the lumps and you can’t beat the air flow across the back

Mikie, mike, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  22. ongster

ongster Member

Name:
    August
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4/Mojo HD3/Levo SL
    Also using the Osprey Savu, really liking it since it rides low (don't even feel it while riding) and not on my sweaty upper back. I'm one of those guys that tend to take extra 'stuff' tools, spares, zipties, nutrition, etc etc, Best thing is, this pack is grab-n-go. Not opting for a bladder there, using bottles are OK, 2nd bottle goes in the side pouch if needed. Mind you this is for most rides.

For longer rides I do put on a Camelbak for more capacity, or backpack for my pads to carry while climbing before putting them on for the paydirt downhills :)

23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    These backpacks are getting pretty small. Useful for filling out your pack quiver. Throwback to the classic Camelbaks? The more things change…

Cyclotourist, Mikie and UPSed like this.
  24. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Yep. New bike means new ways to carry stuff. Hmmm....

herzalot and Mikie like this.
  25. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Being on the DL recently I have had plenty of time to peruse the deals online. I finally got around to ordering a Fanny pack from High Above. I have to say, the build and material quality compared to the dakine hotlaps that I always borrow from my wife is just, well, you can see and feel the difference.
    It’s also big enough that I might be able to cram in a light jacket, snacks, maybe a beer.

they didn’t have a lime green zipper pull option on the website, but, I mentioned that it’d be cool to match my DVO fork and they ended up finding something close.

D08109ED-96BC-47A3-B152-6D7FA34D0CD7.jpeg

4720FB03-ACE8-4203-92BB-ED0A9F7B53D1.jpeg

087A57F0-2E0A-4741-BAF4-70179799F4C7.jpeg

kingaucho, Mikie, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Hot Laps Stealth. I use it a lot too. Best feeling pack ever in that, I can't feel it at all. But you're not going to store any extra clothing or pads in it.

Mikie likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?