Hip Pack: Which Do You Use?

Discussion in 'Hydration Systems' started by Mikie, Jul 18, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Fanny pack, hip pack, call it what you like… and hate it if you want. The market is exploding with major and micro businesses attacking a growing market of hip packs for those who want to lose the sweaty back… to include me.

As mentioned in another thread I purchased a Source 1.5L Hipster. It’s made in Israel and really well made. Comes with a harness strap system. The straps were weird at first but I quickly grew used to it. What was the negative for me was once you filled the 50oz hydration bladder there was literally no room for anything else.

Not these colors:
    upload_2021-7-18_19-30-42.jpeg

So I gave it to CJ and she loves it since she only carries her drivers license, credit card, car key, Kaiser card, and a couple bucks cash. I’m her on trail mechanic. :rolleyes:

But I still have a big interest in a hip pack. I am a minimalist and it’s pointless to shoulder a full back pack. I’m thinking of putting a mini pack on my bike frame to carry my tube, mini tool, and repair kit.

So for those that have jumped on the Hip Pack train. Suggestions?

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Camelbak Repack in drab green... It holds a bunch, and doesn't seem to get in the way. I don't use the bladder, though...

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I forget the brand of the one I have (I don't use it much). I like the 1L capacity of it, the only downside is that it slides down off my ass too easily. That harness type system would fix that for sure.

4. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Tools, tube, pump and water bottle live on the bike, so worn pack capacity is for food, liquid and clothing.

My hip pack is an ancient North Face, not riding specific. So little capacity that it pretty much can’t ride uncomfortably. I”m leery of putting hard objects in it but I do stash my PLB in the outer pocket. It’ll hold a liter of water in a Platypus bottle no issue.

When I need more I go the Wingnut 2.5 pack. (Wingnut was a pioneer on the low slung cycling pack concept, they have a few models. Obviously they have competition now.)

A pump clip that uses bottle bosses solves a problem. So many tool/storage options it can make a head swim. I like a normal multi-tool with my other repair stuff in a small frame bag. I have a couple different sizes of top tube bags, and one or the other has worked on every bike I’ve had for years. I like the TT bags that sit back against the seat tube as opposed to the gas tank style. Small ones that sit inside the triangle seem ideal.

So I think the specific hip pack doesn’t so much matter because it should be super small and mounting stuff on the bike is key for the concept. Especially if you (I) bring accoutrements. And anything more than super small (over a liter of liquid) should have shoulder straps.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I use a custom-made JanSport.
    03D570FE-F387-4CA0-B4A7-14C7FB18AC98.jpeg
    Without a water filter or potable sources along the route, it’s hard for me to go more than 15 miles or 2,000’ without a bladder in a backpack. My system is inspired by @mike and @UPSed , but I’m not a camel, so most bigger rides require a pack for me.

6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I use the Evoc Race Hip pack, but not for water. As mentioned above, I don't think much will fit in there if I use the bladder.

Evoc Hip Pack.png

I carry a multi-tool, Stans dart, tire levers, chain repair bits, small pump, a few bandages and meds, a spare derailleur cable, Clif bar Clif blocks, small Leatherman pliers/knife and my phone. I have room for my elbow pads when I am not wearing them or a very light jacket or jersey, but not both.

I use it when my ride is short enough to get by on one water bottle. Otherwise, I use my Camelback.

I like this pack as it snugs up tight if it's emptier, but expands to fit more stuff. It has a water bottle sleeve too, although I don't use it. I barely notice it, even when it's stuffed, but I've never used the water bladder. I imagine I would notice that.

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I'm with @mtnbikej when it comes to any kind of pack. I have a few different CamelBaks. Even their hip pack. I'm just not comfortable wearing them anymore. I've been running my double cage for fuel and hydration and a saddlebag for the essentials. My phone goes in my middle jersey pocket and that leaves two pockets for extra snacks or a water bottle.

8. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I use this one and it’s little sister also, I like them a lot.:thumbsup:

3218BE27-6230-46C5-83EE-C31183027FD5.jpeg

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Interesting that we are back where we started.
    In 1992, I had two water bottles and a pump attached to my bike, a seat bag for tools and tube and maybe a Powerbar, and any extra clothing I tied around my waist or maybe to my handlebars. See...
    Alpinestars.JPG

Then, the Camelback was invented. I saw no need for it at first, until I started riding in dusty California. I soon realized the beauty of a bite valve rather than a dirty water bottle nozzle. Yes a pack was sweaty, but an unladen bike just feels so good! Then you add dropper posts into the mix and seatbags become less of an option. I still prefer an unladen bike, but I can live with one water bottle on my bike and a hip pack on my body for the "best of both worlds" solution for short rides.
    And all my rides are short rides!

10. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Careful ladies, he's taken.

The dilemma is.. do I want to have an unladen bike, or unladen person...

I've been moving to carry more on my bike... As I feel having less on myself let's me move around a bit more freely.... And I can't stand things in pockets while riding.
    Been using an osprey Savu .
    Details when I can post a photo

Bluesrider, Danmtchl, Mikie and 9 others like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Oh, that's the one I have. I've only used it with water, and the weight drags it down so I'm constantly trying to pull it back up. All my tools and other junk or on the bike in bags, so I only need this for H2O.

Bluesrider, Danmtchl, Mikie and 5 others like this.
  12. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Ok, so I use the Osprey Savu hip pack. Moved from a Dakine backpack with a bladder, but I tend to get extra sweaty, so freeing up my back was the main reason I went hip pack. I have two bottle cages on my bike, plus the Savu allows two fold out bottle holders as well, so I could potentially go with 4 bottles. There is a cell phone pocket, that fits a good sized phone, and the main pocket has space enough to allow a 2 multi tool, Stan's Dart tool, Co2 inflator, extra Co2... and usually 1 or two snacs (small apple, clif bar etc) plus my wallet. also hip pockets on each side. I haven't tried stuffing my windbreaker in... so in varying conditions/long rides maybe not ideal? I could probably put it in one of the collapsible bottle holders.

IMG_20210719_131619.jpg

IMG_20210719_131548.jpg

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's large!

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  14. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    My everyday pack is the Rapid pack by Bontrager. It's comfortable enough and has been bulletproof so far. I use it for rides of 20 miles or less as a general rule. I also have a 2nd water bottle on the bike.
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/...e-bags-panniers/bontrager-rapid-pack/p/14798/

When I'm doing longer rides or might not have access to re-fill the bottles like on Palm Canyon, I wear the EVOC Hip Pack Pro 3L. It holds a bladder with 1.5L of water and can also hold (2) bottles externally. It is by far the most comfortable pack I've yet to try on. The belt is much wider than the older models and has some elasticity to it. Within 5 seconds of trying it on in the shop in Durango, I knew I was buying it.
    https://bikecloset.com/product/evoc...iXRbazUB9XLgeaV0y1NX6SAWyn_d1teUaAj9sEALw_wcB

15. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    The EVOC on line in reviews tends to win the day in most product shoot-outs. it is by far the priciest of all the hip packs. It would be great if they all had the option of suspenders to stabilize against a heavy water load in the beginning.

Having the 1.5L Bladder, plus two water bottle and the water bottle on my bike gets closer to my needs for lots of water on the trail. Riding with some of you... you go through a bottle or two when i typically will destroy 70 to 100oz's without blinking an eye, and... STIlL feel dehydrated at the end of the ride.

Does the Osprey offer a Bladder on the SAVU?
    Despite the cost of the EVOC it does have the features it seams I'm looking for (Options for lots of water in a Hip Pack.)

I do plan to place small frame packs to carry Tube, Tools, and Tire Repair Kit. Carry emergency grub, Pump, and some survival stuff in the hip pack. Still bouncing it around and appreciate all the great feedback!

16. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    The Savu line is water bottle capable, I think if you want a bladder you would opt for the seral.

https://www.osprey.com/us/en/product/seral-4-SERAL4S21_270.html

17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    If we were back where we started we would be calling them Fanny Packs, not the new cool term Hip Pack... Catch up! Sheesh! :rolleyes::whistling::p

18. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have this one also, but sadly after a few rides I don’t use it anymore. I have the TWAT box in my frame, tools in the headset and a revelate bag on the top tube. The only thing I could use it for it
    Is for an extra bottle.

19. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Perspective is everything.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    By the woman who took this photo! Honestly? How could she resist!

21. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    So far my scrotum bag, frame pump, and two water bottles on the frame are sufficient unto the day. And the ride. I have a couple of packs, but not a hip pack. Just don't see the point. I'd rather have the stuff on the bike than on me....but as they say, to each their own. :thumbsup:

22. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    herzalot, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  23. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Is it okay that I’m “concerned” about that exact statement? :gotnothing::whistling:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    HAHA, don’t be concerned. Specialized has the SWAT box, so the Trek version is the TWAT box.

25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So I HAD to do a little Google search as I thought you were literally pulling my leg. Trek has never really (for whatever reason) been on my radar as a bike to consider.
    Having discovered that what you speak of is actually true... but appears to be more of an internet slang, I'm once again proving to be old school and reminisce of stupid 70's street slang, and immature enough still to snicker when someone uses a sentence that repeats the word "DO" twice next to each other in a sentence.
    Anyway, I don't think Trek has made that an official acronym for the hole in their down tube. lol!
    :whistling:;)

26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Sell it to @Mikie I guess I'm one of the few that's not a fan of loading parts on to my bike. I also like having easier access to the parts and prefer the parts not be so tiny. I haven't used a SWAT box but I've had (2) friends with the head tube tool thingy where that thing has ejected in a crash. Another, a member of this board, had his OneUp bike pump with all the tools inside implode as well.

27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Dann-O!
    Which Hip Pack do you have?
    The EVOC or the Rapid Pack?
    If you have the EVOC and you are interested in selling it. I'm a solid candidate.

:)

Danimal, Cyclotourist and Danmtchl like this.
  28. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
    I have the Osprey Seral myself. Very roomy yet compact when it needs to be. On our midnight strawberry peak ride I had a full bladder, my showers pass rain jacket, extra gloves and some snacks.

D6AE7B97-1765-4489-9707-B256CB17B587.jpeg
    my only gripe is the weak magnet used to hold the bite valve end of the bladder hose. It has to sit dead on the magnet to be effective even then it gets easily knocked off on occasion. I solved that dilemma by buying one of these

F59BD428-BB5E-486E-A7AC-29CF9E99C3FA.jpeg

The plastic end with the snap wraps around the water tube and the other end clips onto the strap of the pack. Pretty much next to the magnet. The retractable lanyard brings the bite valve back into position :thumbsup:

hi everyone by the way :ninja:

29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Y’all need to grow some hips to hold up the fanny pack

30. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Luis! Chicken Nuggets!

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?