All-purpose Lake Tahoe thread

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jul 11, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer and I were thinking of heading up there second week in September. We may end up going back up to Redmond (Bend) though.

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Anybody with a Tahoe/Truckee urge, it looks now like I'll be riding out the summer here.

More people on the trails this year, but not the crowds SoCal riders are accustomed to.

Rose to Toads is tentatively scheduled for 9/6. I plan to ride the route whether or not the event takes place. Because it's incredible. https://tamba.org/upcoming-events/rose-to-toads/ Any of you pain lovers want to join, you'll basically get three excellent rides in one day. Some pics of the route showed up in my recent Rim Trail report – unmatched scenery and trail quality. I'll be shooting for sub 12-hrs; won't need any of the official support (or an official entry, for that matter), I have the water resupplies and route dialed.

I'm up for most anything, though shuttles are out and size is in.

3. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Figure I'd revive the Tahoe thread for summer '21. I'll be up there from June 1-15 and staying in Truckee. Hopefully most of the snow will be melted and the trails won't be
    overrun /blown out yet. If anyone will be there and wants to ride, let me know. Hoping to hit Mammoth on the way home for a few days. Looking forward to being in beautiful Tahoe and away from the computer screen!

4. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    I may be in Truckee around the same time. Will keep you posted.

herzalot and mike like this.
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good timing, guys. Signs point to our being there then. AYE

DangerDirtyD, herzalot and kingaucho like this.
  6. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon

I’ll be staying at north* from 12- 16 with my son. Going to do hello kitty, pickup sticks, Watson one day. Kingsbury stinger trail next day. Then the park last day. I’m down for a ride. Keep me in mind

aaron.

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Haven't ridden those trails, but I'm up for it. I'm there until 6/15. Send me a PM when you get to Tahoe and we can figure out the details. Heard they just had snow a couple of days ago!

uzziboy and mike like this.
  8. uzziboy

uzziboy Member

Name:
    aaron
    Current Bike:
    Intense tracer 275 carbon

Did Armstrong connector, TRT, toads once. Took us 10 hours. What a f**king death march. Lol. Good luck on your ride.

mike and herzalot like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Hehe, you lowlanders got pounded on that one! Like everyone who runs up there from the lowlands... :bang::geek: I'm trying a buffer strategy to flatten the curve. By October I'm usually at top game, knock on wood.

I'd love to get a run on Kingsbury Stinger, but sounds like there may be snow on it still by then. I have a couple favorites that will be ride-able anytime. Clear Creek out-back from Jacks Valley to Spooner Summit is a early season gem. Extra credit as far as it's dry up to Bench on TRT. @Titus should join up, too. I'll be there/here...

herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I'm waking up this thread cuz Lake Tahoe is not on fire... :gotnothing:

Some backpacker friends are coming to hike the full Tahoe Rim Trail. (Smoked out of Whitney area.) I'm thinking it would be fun to load up the bike and meet them for a night. Of course bring sandwiches, cold beverages and hot tea. :geek:

A lap around the Lake is high on my to-do list as well.

Luis, ~JB~ and Danimal like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I still want to get up there for a lap. Have you considered Bones to Blue as well since you've done the Lake route? You could probably get on route right out the front door.

~JB~ and mike like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I feel like I’ve done enough around the Lake to pick my own route around it. You know I always veer off anyway...

I’d like to do a more-TRT version, as the Lake Trail hugs the water and is a crazy PITA west of Mt Rose Highway. I’d add some road and a services stop along the shore to avoid that. Lapping Lake Trail with two bivies from Truckee is do-able; adding and subtracting dirt and road here and there should total about the same effort.

You’re on a roll, get up here and we’ll figure it out, or if I’m detained you have a good base.

herzalot, ~JB~ and evdog like this.
  13. solislbc

solislbc Well-Known Member

Name:
    El
    Current Bike:
    2001 GT Zaskar
    Are you affected by the smoke from the complex fire north of Tahoe? Seems to be headed away from you.

herzalot likes this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    AQ around Tahoe has not been affected by the fire.

solislbc and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    AQ north and west of Lake Tahoe, including Truckee and Donner Pass, is now affected by the Tamarack fire.

solislbc, UPSed and DangerDirtyD like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Weeks on, the air quality situation isn't improving and doesn't look to be anytime soon.

Living in MTB Mecca and having to drive hours away to MTB – that's what it's come to. Since my property didn't burn I have no right to grouse, but the pattern developing is making me revisit our strategy of posting up in/near western US forests.

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Happy to hear your property didn't burn Mike! I think Putin is excited about the Climate Change so that all that Russian real estate in Siberia will become a haven for humans willing and able to function according to their ability to support the rest according to their needs. Kinda like the group is as fast as the slowest guy, which is lame for bike riding. Iceland seems cool. Canada would work if you are not required to be criminally rehabilitated. I wonder how much PSI is needed in a 2.4 Minion on the moon.

UPSed and mike like this.
  18. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Maybe rethink Siberia...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world/2021/08/11/siberia-fires-russia-climate/

mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    mike likes this.
  20. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Such a bummer. I've spent time in Tahoe and Truckee the last 4 summers, but each year I go up earlier in attempt to avoid the fires. This year things were already so warm and dry in late May/early June in Truckee. The house I stayed in did not have a/c, and during the 1st week of June the indoor thermostat was reading 89 degrees because it was so hot outside. Considering this July represents the hottest month ever recorded on earth, I don't know if things will improve in the future. Hoping you guys get some much-needed rain.

mtnbikej, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    At the risk of being cynical, that’s my basic takeaway.

Thanks for the rain dance. We have no real reason to complain. Entire communities were wiped out. I think our ride plans can get pushed out. Cheers, Y.

mtnbikej, Danimal and DangerDirtyD like this.
  22. Titus

Titus Well-Known Member

Name:
    Titus
    Current Bike:
    SC Hightower LT
    Absolutely--my heart goes out to folks who have lost their homes. In addition, those whose jobs have been affected (including MTNB businesses) by the fires.

mtnbikej, Stkx66, mike and 1 other person like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The Tahoe area is not the place to be right now or for awhile.

The new Caldor Fire at Pollock Pines SW of the lake was at 6500 acres earlier today and has a containment date of 8/31. It’s not far from the Tamarack fire S of the lake. Dixie fire is NW of the lake. So the smoke situation and outlook is bad for the entire lake basin including South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Reno, Truckee, Tahoe City and obviously everything north of there including Downieville and Quincy.

24. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That's poopie Mike. Do you have plans or capability to relocate to an area where adverse environmental effects induced by climate change don't occur? If I were a bachelor, I'd invite you and Moria and your people pet(s) and all your bikes and musical instruments to La Verne, where the worst thing that is happening is development of high density housing in a community of quarter- to half-acre single-family properties. The outrage [about the high density housing] is palpable.

mike likes this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Heh, that’s kind of you. Thanks for the good thoughts.

Moving around a lot removes one’s justification to complain about any one place. (We have plans and capability a few months out.) Most likely we’ll be back in the desert for winter.

Earlier this century I burned out on driving to climbing areas and bought a MTB. Driving is now an attractive option. First-world fukking problems.

Safe wishes to firefighters. Condolence to property owners who suffered loss. Caldor Fire is right in mountain communities Grizzly Flats and Pollock Pines where structures have been lost.

26. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    you are into the environment. What is the definition of "climate change"?

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    mtnbikej, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  29. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks, bud.

At over 400 air quality earlier today, it’s somewhat immaterial whether the forest is open. Work surge has been a welcome indoor distraction. A forthcoming Yosemite climb is going to be a punisher with minimal prep. If the place doesn’t ignite before then…

I see enough pattern to make some adjustments going forward. I’m going to put more focus on winter recreation and plan to write off summers. Since we move around with a degree of choice it should be easy, but there will be more driving as a result. First-world issues big time, but when recreation is a key component of your existence, it’s a thing.

30. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Somehow @Obsidian and I managed to ride in heavy drizzle today. No glasses requisite. Whoever figures out the cloud seeding thing is gonna be famous.

mike, Obsidian and herzalot like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?