Latest member of the clavicle club

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Lost Kiwi, Apr 18, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I bet you felt you were in Treble... :rolleyes:
    I'm guessing you were "hooked" on the meds? :rolleyes:
    Sorry... but I'm "fishing" for a response. :rolleyes:
    It's true, use a lot of "One Liners"... :rolleyes:

herzalot, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  2. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    I posted a picture here..
    Fish hooks came in handy when the doctor pulled them out .. who knew he needed pliers and a lot of sweat and muscle..
    Yikes.. those pins did not come out easy

herzalot, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  3. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well I went in all prepared to be arguing my case for surgery...... Apparently there is 3 qualifiers (only need to tick 1) for suggesting surgery over letting it heal naturally. I ticked all 3 boxes, doc congratulated me on a job well done and promptly booked me in for next week. Happy days!
    I'm thinking I should go back to the ER and ask for a refund, this pic was a quarter the price and definitely got my good side :Roflmao
    break 2.jpg

bvader, RIGID, mike and 10 others like this.
  4. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Ouch......Titanium hardware seems to be in your future
    Heal fast!

mtnbikej, Obsidian and Lost Kiwi like this.
  5. Robbie

Robbie Guest

Holy shiite that looks grossly displaced alright. You should feel better after it gets plated. For me the worst was the 3 days waiting for surgery and trying to sleep. Like a few others have said, the repair works well, only aftereffect I notice is the foreign body sensation of the hardware under the skin; function, range of motion, strength came back fine. Full 3 liter hydration pack doesn’t bother me, and strap rides directly over scar and plate. Good luck!

Luis, BonsaiNut, mtnbikej and 4 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Pokey bits saying hi!

mtnbikej and Lost Kiwi like this.
  7. Lost Kiwi

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Well yesterday was surgery day. It was actually the first time the surgeon had physically looked at the shoulder and not just x-rays. Not inspiring to hear his first words.... "oh my god, thats a mess". Broken into three and one piece had rotated thru 90 degrees. Lets just say I'm glad I didn't take the ERs suggestion to just let it heal naturally. Plate and 7 screws to put it all back together. Needed a bit of a cocktail of pain-killers after coming out of general but today's been relatively pain free. So much so I've booked myself in for a covid shot tomorrow. Think I'll get it in the bung arm, then if it causes me grief it won't take the good arm out of action as well :D.
    Bit disappointed to not get an x-ray showing the metalwork but I figure I'll get one on the 10th when I go back for a check-up. Looking forward to getting back on a bike already.

CBone, Robbie, Luis and 15 others like this.
  8. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Sorry to here about your mishap!
    Just saying though, I sure the hell would not get that shot and put my body through all that stress to add to the stress you are already in?

9. Lost Kiwi

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Have you been talking to my wife?? :p

In all seriousness though the bodies been coping with this remarkably well. Add in at the moment the fact I'm damn near useless helping round the house with the kids so I may as well get it out of the way. Least then when I'm better I can look after everything if the missus gets her shot and goes down.
    Taking a chance with the side effects but potentially a few days laid up will at least stop me from pushing the shoulder trying to do much at the moment.

Faust29, herzalot, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Pictures or it didn't happen...

Firsborn got his second vaxx Tues, and was effed up for a couple days. Body aches and shakes, semi hallucination... hands felt like two balloons sort of thing. He's still sort of out of it. YMMV :)

Stkx66, Lost Kiwi, scan and 2 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Zero side effects from first and second dose for me and my very sensitive, immuno-compromised wife. Pfizer.

Stkx66, CBone, BonsaiNut and 2 others like this.
  12. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    My fear with having hardware installed....have you ever seen a wood post after you pull a lag screw out of it? I picture that with the screws in my ankle.

13. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    So I’m at Cocktail Rock on April 17 having a safety break with Da Booges. It was about 5:30 pm, and we’re talking about how there is no traffic on San Juan in the evening. Just then, up rolls a dude on a Fezzari E-Bike, and he acts like he accomplished something. We talk a few minutes and he mentions how hard the switchbacks are and how long the climb is to Cocktail and how fun it is to ride, and how the sand is starting to chafe the mucous membranes, but that he’s tough and will prevail. I ask him to lift his shirt so we can compare bellies since our bikes are not commensurate. From what I saw, that jabronie has no business with a motor...and he never mentioned the @Lost Kiwi he passed up at the switchbacks at the beginning of his ride. Thanks for the company on the ups Simon! Sorry you broke a part. Welcome to the club!

https://brokenridersuk.com/

Old&InTheWay, mike, Lost Kiwi and 4 others like this.
  14. Lost Kiwi

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Had my post surgery check-up today. Stitches are out, everythings looking good on the x-ray. Been told I can get back on the bike in 4.5 weeks time (thats going to drag) I can use the trainer if I want to turn some pedals in a week or so. I'm passing the time by window shopping, bit torn between a new roadie, slowly collecting parts for a hardtail build or getting a dirt jumper.

Been mighty impressed with how quick things get better after the plate goes in. I almost have full range of movement back already. My 2yr tested the plate yesterday by giving me a pretty solid liverpool kiss (headbutt) right on the wound, no issues and everything held up fine.

The first breaks on a 45 degree angle under the two empty holes then the second break comes back down past the two screws that angle inwards rather than downwards.
    steelwork.jpg

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

I thought the same thing....until you hit it in something metal.

the plate on the outside of my ankle was all good to go, then one day at the grocery store, I whipped the cart around....the bottom of the cart frame hit my plate square....my leg felt like a tuning fork.....before the pain kicked in. Damn that hurt.

OTHRider, bvader, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    this goes to show us that if you ride long enough ... well... yeah...

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Definitely get the dirt jumper! Safer than a hardtail or roadie!

Rumpled, Cyclotourist and Lost Kiwi like this.
  18. B.J. Ryu

B.J. Ryu Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    B.J. Ryu
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Tail
    That hurts I hope you recover fast and get back to ride!

Cyclotourist likes this.
  19. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I just got out of a panic business trip. They want me on site for 3 weeks on -3weeks off running
    three months. Boss called and said can you travel meaning the fatal flu. I said no I cannot even drive. What? What happened? Broke my collar bone. How? on your bike? Yes. Do you want to go on medical? No, I will just type with one hand (home office) unless you want me to. Ok I have to go. Click
    finally found a perk off the happy trails.

20. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    I walked my bike ride today, went to the scene of the crime. A 10" piece of protruding bedrock shows signs of high point loading, it sustained a very hard hit. I had proposed my fork struck a rock, this one is too short. I am thinking a pedal strike? I did not feel it. But I did not know it was a crash until I was flying. I found my place on the deer trail about 12 feet out. no way I slid there. I Am thinking my strike caused the bruised foot. I believe me and the 29er flew above the scrub. This explains the helmet feeling like it was skidding, it was skidding across the top of the scrub. Also explains how my bike ended up with me. My math says I flew 23' including the landing.
    next time I am wearing a cape

21. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Huh looks like Torx screws :)

Nice pic glad you're getting better!

Lost Kiwi likes this.
  22. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    The screws in my knee are headless Allen titanium.
    12mm diameter by 25mm long.
    I watched them being installed.
    So, I probably need like an 8mm Allen key to adjust them, ha.

Lost Kiwi, bvader and OTHRider like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?