Vista rider down

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Dirtrider...., Jan 24, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Went out for a quick ride from home. saw helicopter circling O'Neil as i left house... it kept flying above Vista in the direction i was headed.

park ranger truck came quickly up fire road as i was riding the steeper section.

came up to the scene at the top near the bench and horse holder.

there were 4 rescue guys zipping the rider up in the red helo bag. then they walked him over to helo after it landed on trail.

park ranger was loading his bike in her truck when i noticed his right shoe was still clipped into his pedal. santa cruz carbon black bike. pedal power not electric.

he was on fire road when it happened. hope he is ok. no details on what exactly happened.

prayers to him and his family.

20210124_145550.jpg

20210124_145640.jpg

20210124_150006.jpg

~JB~, Ocpop, Cyclotourist and 16 others like this.
  2. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Not a like for this news. :(
    I know we’ve all noticed the huge increase in mtbers this year, more people means more injuries...obviously.
    It is what it is, but I hope the rider isn’t too hurt.
    A friend that Brent and I ride with took a hard spill a few weeks ago at Tapia, he broke seven ribs, possibly fractured his scapula and his clavicle is dislocated...needless to say he’s in a lot of pain. :(

~JB~, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Bummer... I hope he's ok.

A few years back there were two helo lifts in O'Neill during the same Rwanda ride. One not far from that spot...

4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    :eek:

Ouch...

You're right, though.... I see more brand new low to mid-level bikes on the trails now than ever before.

5. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Really? Wow.
    I've done about half of the Rwanda rides, musta missed that adventure.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Yep... One young lady ate dirt on the Tijeras Creek Trail, at the little dip. She launched and hit the bank on the far side. Last I heard, she healed up. I saw the helo crew take her up... The second was on the section of Live Oak below the towers, where it's just fast fire road. There are two water bars just before the hard right hander. It happened there, but I never heard how that rider fared. I saw that one lifted out, as well...

2015 maybe?

~JB~, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    ~JB~, Old&InTheWay, Rumpled and 3 others like this.
  8. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Last time I rode Oaks there was a guy in jeans on a Wal-Mart bike who somehow navigated the waterfall of Chutes after seemingly uttering something negative to me in a language I did not understand (and after three starts and stops), which was soon followed up by seeing a guy with no helmet down Yucca.

Part of me is like, "Go Darwin", but the other part of me is like, "Stop putting my current favorite sport in jeopardy." Mostly the former. :devilish:

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Well that sounds painfully familiar... :confused: :oops:

Best wishes to the rider extracted from Vista. Healing vibes to the gent.

10. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    People that crash mountain bikes... pshhh! :rolleyes: ...Oh wait...:whistling:
    I hate hearing of folks getting hurt. I even hate watching videos of people getting hurt.

Another member of the Helo Club. Hope they are okay... :(

11. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    This is a bummer. I can’t see a crash happening in that spot as it’s on a crest of Live Oak trail. Many bikers take a quick breather there after a stiff climb. I’m guessing it was a medical issue like a heart attack. I hope he’s okay and recovers quickly.

I know many trails in OC can feel overwhelmed with new hikers/bikers, but O’Neil never feels that way, even on weekends. There aren’t any adrenaline pumping trails there but if you enjoy some good climbing and some chill descents in relatives peace and quiet, it hits the spot.

12. Earn Your View

Earn Your View Member

Name:
    Bryan
    Current Bike:
    2013 Charge Cooker
    I remember that rider. She was riding with the Trail Angels. I past her and a few of her friends while they were waiting for help.

I stopped and spoke with them for a couple of minutes. If I recall correctly (and my memory is vague) her face hit her handlebar and she either broke her nose or a cheek bone. I forget. I also believe her friend also told me she had just recently come back from another injury.

I also remember that was the year where we had issues with a few riders who were acting as if it was a race. One of those riders was making dangerous passes on Tijeras Creek not long before I came across that injured rider. I saw him almost bump another rider passing.

13. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    ~JB~, Stkx66, Mikie and 11 others like this.
  14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Mikie, RIGID, Dirtrider.... and 2 others like this.
  15. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    :cry::cry::cry: Gutted to say the least. Mike "TOO TALL" Bell was my favorite rider as a kid in grade school. I even ran his number 39 on my little KX80 to try and be like him. R.I.P. Mike Bell! fukin sucks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

~JB~, Mikie, RIGID and 10 others like this.
  16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    ~JB~, Mikie, RIGID and 4 others like this.
  17. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    RIP Too Tall. He was a great moto and MTB rider. He will be missed.

Mikie, RIGID, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  18. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    It's never a good time to hear these tragic events especially with this one that is so similar to close friend and imtbtrails member.
    May he kick-ass up there as he did so here.

19. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    What the hail is going on here. I certainly knew of Mike Bell. I graduated in 1977 and raced High School Moto X back then. He was a hero. :oops:

herzalot, Redman, Faust29 and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?