Rest in Peace Noel aka STR @Hanzo aka imtbtrails @Poofighter

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Mikie, Jan 16, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Even though I don't think we ever met, Noel reached out to me a couple of weeks ago via PM to congratulate me on a recent professional accomplishment that he found out through a neighbor. He signed off "Hoping for a better 2021." My heart hurts. :(

I rode LCWP today and thought about him over and over. I don't know the location of his last breath, but if I find out, I will install some kind of subtle memorial.

Oaken, RIGID, Walleye and 26 others like this.
  2. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Sad news. Sorry to hear this. Condolences to his family.

3. OTHRider

OTHRider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Duke
    Current Bike:
    '18 Salsa Cutthroat
    I spoke with Dino this morning after reading this. I probably rode with Noel two dozen times back in the STR days. Dino had received a text from Gene in the middle of the night with the same bad news. He was always cool with me ....it is not easy to come to terms with all the deaths lately. Prayers for his family.

Oaken, RIGID, doublewide and 18 others like this.
  4. MolarM

MolarM Member

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz 5010
    This is terrible news. I’m very sorry. Condolences and prayers to his family

5. FizzyCola

FizzyCola Member

Name:
    Dr. Thunder
    Wow, I’m floored. This is so sad. I knew Noel from the STR daze and we frequently had lunch when we both worked in downtown Long Beach. It has been many years since I have seen him, but that doesn’t make this hurt any less.

R.I.P. Hanzo.

RIGID, Walleye, Voodoo Tom and 18 others like this.
  6. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Oh no, I just saw this thread...:(
    I’m sorry to all of you here who knew Noel. I pray that his loved ones can find comfort and peace.
    Like many have said here..let’s make every moment count. I take too much for granted.

RIGID, Walleye, Voodoo Tom and 11 others like this.
  7. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    I’m very sorry to hear this, what a tragedy. My condolences to his family.

RIGID, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 6 others like this.
  8. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    I never had the pleasure of meeting him but, he did buy some grips from me several months back and seemed like a really good guy.

Thoughts going out to his family.

RIGID, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  9. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    From his recent posts, it looks like he was going through some tough times, and might have had some health concerns. I did not know him either, but RIP.

RIGID, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 8 others like this.
  10. GregMiester

GregMiester Member

Name:
    Greg
    Current Bike:
    2014 Giant XTC Advanced 2
    Hi all,

It's been a while since I've visited as I've been inconsistent with biking the last 3 or so years. I hope you all are doing well and I'm glad to see familiar names here though I don't think I ever did get out to any rides with you all. Noels passing brought me here to try and learn more about what happened. My hearts been heavy since I found out yesterday and am still in a bit of disbelief. What I've read here in this thread is about the same as I was told from another good friend as well and maybe it being sudden and unexpected is just what we'll be stuck with. I'm happy to see that he meant as much to others as he did me, he was a really good guy, a friend.

That ride, or a variation of it, is one that Noel introduced me to about 4 or 5 years ago and he was really a driving force in getting me back into biking after some time away. I wanted to do these new (to me) rides so it was a real motivation for me. He introduced me to Aliso, STT, The Luge, and the San Juan Trail. The San Juan was a really memorable one (well, maybe not for me) as I had a really bad crash and concussion, memory loss and all. He helped me get through the remaining downhill and back to the lot, then to the hospital. We even got to race together at Bonelli, I think it was 2016 or so.

As another member said above, he was always good for a text or phone call to say "what's up, wanna ride?"

I actually did get a ride in on Friday afternoon to get adjusted to the saddle and get my legs going again (because of his pestering!). I didn't dare post it to Strava though because I knew he'd say "Your back! want to do Mt. Wilson?" hah...if only. Funny guy!

I met Noel about 25 years ago at Rudy's Bike Shop in Montebello. The shop would host a weekly Thursday night ride at Turnbull or JPL and a big group of us would head out together. The shop is no longer around, since about the early 2000's, but that little shop brought so many of us together that are still friends, riding or not.

I'm going to miss my friend

noelgregwall (1).jpg

noel sunset.jpg

11. senderos_949

senderos_949 Member

Name:
    Randy Morris
    Current Bike:
    Marin Mt Vision Pro
    Not to derail the thread but thought I'd share a really nice memorial someone put up on the fence separating the San Clemente dogpark trails and Camp Pendeleton for a mtn. biker back in 2018.
    I don't know anything about the person that passed other than they were a pretty high-level competitive racer based on races attended and the awards/medals won. Nice way to remember someone's passion for riding. Always tough losing anyone in the local riding community.

memorial.jpeg

RIGID, Cornholio, Walleye and 21 others like this.
  12. deocguy

deocguy Member

Name:
    JB
    Current Bike:
    Specialized
    My heart and prayers goes out to him and his family that he left behind.

I’ve been riding with him at San Juan, El Moro, Aliso and Las Flores. He’s such a nice and humble guy, friendly too. We all gonna miss you brother. R.I.P :(

hill^billy, Faust29, RIGID and 13 others like this.
  13. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    That was a tough read. Sorry for the loss of your friend.

14. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I’m so.. so sorry Greg. Thank you so much for posting this...

It would really be great if others could share and post up some pics of Noel, or share some moments.

hill^billy, Faust29, RIGID and 11 others like this.
  16. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Crap. So sad. At some level, one positive thing that can be said is that he had a positive impact on tons of people. All of these classic STR peeps showing up who I haven't heard from in five or more years... to share their love for a friend.

Definitely going to hit the trails today. He will be in my head, though I never met him in person.

hill^billy, Faust29, bvader and 11 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sorry to read this news. Good thoughts and peace to the family and friends of Noel.

Keep your loved ones close; ride like your life is finite.

hill^billy, Faust29, RIGID and 8 others like this.
  18. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    All...
    Changing the Title to "Rest in Peace Noel aka STR @Hanzo aka imtbtrails @Poofighter "
    Please, both sites join in sharing good times with Noel.

Thanks!
    ;)Mikie

19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    There is no STR anymore Mikie. It's nothing but Vietnamese bots. But the STR community that knew Noel as Hanzo still exists so the title still makes sense and will undoubtedly pop up in a search as word spreads through the SoCal (OC) mt biking community.

hill^billy, Faust29, RIGID and 7 others like this.
  20. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Yup! With yah...
    I just wanted to honor his time at STR and here on imtbtrails...

xhuskr, FizzyCola, hill^billy and 8 others like this.
  21. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @FizzyCola sent me a pic. Apparently @Poofighter was camera shy and did not like his pic taken.
    This was on Santiago Truck Trail to The Luge in OC for the “Ride of Silence” event, which honored fallen Veterans.
    Thanks Dr. Thundah!
    poofighter.jpeg

OTHRider, xhuskr, FizzyCola and 18 others like this.
  22. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Sorry to hear this. Never met the man, but by people that did know him, he sounds like a good dude.

Ride in Peace.

23. Dismay

Dismay Member

Name:
    Michael
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Jekyll 2
    Man this makes me sad. RIP, Noel.

hill^billy, MolarM, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  24. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    We did his last ride route today and stopped where he took his last breath . He climbed up Fenceline from Moro Ridge. Right before it plateaus there's a patch of cacti on the right. Apparently he just went straight into it. Some of the branches are broken off, poor guy.

Right across we placed rocks to form a cross and had a moment of silence out of respect.
    IMG_1700.JPG
    IMG_1701.JPG
    The entire route is from Pac. Ridge Trailhead down Bommer, down Lizard, up Bommer to TnA, Up Willow to Fenceline.
    Noel always stopped to session the big rock when you get near the bottom of TnA so we did the same.
    Seb taking the far left line going down it in memory of Noel.
    SEB.jpg

Oaken, Walleye, BonsaiNut and 26 others like this.
  25. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    Very sad news. Sorry to hear about how it happened. Truly a loss for his friends and family. RIP

26. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That's the big boy line... :thumbsup:

Fenceline doesn't intersect Moro Ridge, That's Missing Link. Are you describing the plateau on Missing Link at the very top of the park before it heads onto the fun rocky part, or at the other end near where it meets Fenceline, Slow and Easy and Elevator Shaft?

Regardless, I was there twice yesterday. I will stop and pay my respects now that I know where it is. I did pause and reflect at the very top while looking out toward the ocean.

27. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Feeling awfully mortal on today's ride.

Oaken, xhuskr, hill^billy and 7 others like this.
  28. RIGID

RIGID Member

Name:
    bandman
    My bad, you are correct. It's Missing Link. I had to youtube it to make sure. MTB Fenceline (Missing Link) Trail in Laguna Canyon, Orange County California - YouTube
    It's right at 0:37 where you can see the cactus on the right.

29. siata94

siata94 Well-Known Member

Name:
    siata
    Current Bike:
    lazy goat
    So sad to read... RIP and best wishes to family and friends...

30. rike_bider

rike_bider Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Isaiah Cervantes
    Current Bike:
    KHS Team 29er
    I’ve also Known Noel for about 25 years. We’ve done a lot of riding together and as of late, he was more of a training partner. Over the past year, he really stepped up his game and improved his skills on the mountain bike and road bike.

He was always trying to get me out to the O.C. to ride his favorite trails. I will definitely pay my respects and visit the place where he took his last breath. I just wish it was with him.

He was a genuine, good guy and an absolute great friend. Riding with him was always a good time with tons of laughs, hammering and a some kind hearted Sh!t talking. He definitely motivated and got me out on the bike on days I would’ve stayed in. We, along with our friend Albert Cruz, we’re gonna hit all his bucket list rides. His heart was set on climbing GMR to Cogswell Dam, today, on MLK Day. He wouldn’t take no for an answer! I’ll miss his spirit, friendship and all the back and forth conversations, emails and texts about cycling.

His voice in my head is gonna help me reach the top of any climb. It’s so sad to say bye to the people we’ve lost, especially the special ones like him. I’ll cherish him and all the memories.

Here are some pictures.

DC1A3236-F5AC-4D2D-94E5-8918B6524569.jpeg

AD014FFA-EFDE-4562-A65D-6B5BD6DA7F2C.jpeg

B6FF0267-ACD1-4799-9012-00296263165C.jpeg

801409DE-BEBE-437E-B8D9-32D1F80F5452.jpeg

E71AEF36-28BA-4B7B-8649-B728F8C51D90.jpeg

50691F29-9F8C-4D74-9138-074006796B68.jpeg

FCABA8E1-E9C1-4088-B591-1A35DD6197EE.jpeg

Oaken, Diytypeofguy, tick and 32 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?