Tools to Build Wheels...

Discussion in 'Wheel Building' started by Mikie, Jan 12, 2021.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have had a Park Truing Stand for decades, but mostly to take some of the sting out of beat to death on a regular basis aluminum wheel sets. Now that i finally want to build my own wheels i have been collecting some tools.
    This is what they say the basics are...
    • Truing stand such as the Park TS-2.2.
    • Truing keys for the spokes.
    • Measuring tool or Vernier caliper.
    • Spoke prep or a lube.
    • Proper length spokes (for disc wheels each side requires two different lengths)
    • Spoke nipples.
    • Calculator (to calculate spoke length)
    • Spoke Tension Meter (if you want to get fancy, or accurate...:coffee: )
    I have this stand:
    ptppt3-1.jpg

My buddy @SS Barby gave me a Park Tool TM 1 Spoke Tension Meter, cuzz he had an extra!
    product_437813_14463.jpg
    Some have said to take an old wheel and disassemble and put it back together as your first project. Seems like a great idea as you know the components are right.

Wheel Builders? Any suggestions?

Faust29, Grego, SS Barby and 3 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    This isn't always true. Really depends on what components you are using.

Newer Boost hubs, Asymetrical rims have often times run the same spoke lengths left and right.

Having a Tension meter is only good if you know how to use it. If you don't have the Park Conversion Table, you can find it here:

https://www.parktool.com/assets/doc/product/TM-1_conv-table.pdf

Faust29, Stkx66, Old&InTheWay and 6 others like this.
  3. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Mikie, I use Permatex antiseize on the spoke thread instead of an adhesive-type prep, as per Mike T, who had a great wheelbuilding instruction page linked to mtbr which is no longer there. No limits on working time, and easier to turn the nipples for truing down the road without spoke windup. if the tension is correct they wont come undone.
    Dont forget to grease or antiseize the spoke holes. at least for aluminum, not sure if carbon needs that. Id use brass nipples instead of alloy.
    thin flathead screwdriver works for me for a nipple driver. With a piece of tape on the shaft so I can count turns easily.
    you also need a dishing tool. i cut mine out of a piece of foamboard, with a screw in the middle of the cutout for adjusting.
    my truing stand is an old hardtail frame with ziptie truing feelers on the chainstay!

4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Agree! I am sure that there are different alloy nipples out there, but don't cheap out on the nipples. If you can't confirm what "alloy" means, and how strong they are, I would definitely go brass. I have had repeat problems with alloy nipples in the past, to the extent that I have rebuilt wheels to swap out the alloy nipples with brass, after which I never had an issue. Nothing less fun than breaking the head off a nipple during a ride... of either kind! :)

bad-nip.jpg

Also, don't forget your rim tape. I happen to use Gorilla duct tape cut to width, but there are a lot of alternatives out there.

And in addition to spoke keys / spoke wrenches, I would recommend a nipple driver. Yeah you can initially set up the spokes by hand with a wrench but it takes much longer than needed. Better to use a driver to get the spokes moderately tightened and a wrench for the final tensioning. It will cut the time required for the initial spoke/nipple setup by at least 80%.

5. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    71VQAf1bNqL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    See? ...and I never knew you built wheels. Thanks!

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Exactly. While your spoke wrench is attached the nipple as it projects through the rim, the nipple driver is used from the outer side of the rim. You poke it into the rim and it fits into the head of the nipple like a screwdriver. Because the spoke isn't getting in the way, you can crank it quickly (as long as there isn't much tension on the spoke) and can snug up the spoke quickly.

Hard to describe the function, exactly, but it is similar to using a ratcheting wrench versus a standard wrench to tighten a nut. If you are threading that nut on a 4" bolt, you just want to snug up the nut as quickly as possible before giving it the final tightening.

8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Helpful, but not necessary.

For the all the wheels I have built, I do not own a nipple driver. Just a plain flat blade screwdriver works just as well.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I'm going to respectfully disagree, only because I used the screwdriver method before I bought the driver. The driver has two advantages: (1) it has the little nib at the point that fits into the hole in the nipple and keeps the tip of the driver from sliding off and (2) the bent shape allows you to hold it steady in your one hand while you crankity crank it with your other. Much faster than a screwdriver.

Is it worth $20 for the tool? Depends how many wheels you plan on building. It is definitely not required. I however am both lazy and clumsy... so it works for me :)

Danmtchl, Faust29, Stkx66 and 2 others like this.
  10. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    I use a really cheap but secure tool. A old spoke bent into a driver with a little "L" shaped handle. You screw an old nipple to the threads upside then there are enough threads left to screw a nipple on for placement. This is really only needed sometimes to get the nipples attached to the last round of spokes. the unfortunate part is they do not completely seat the nipples to the end of the spoke threads, if that is how you do it, so you still need to use a screw driver.

11. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    I have used denatured Linseed oil to lube spoke nipples and Tri Flow. Tri-flow gets too thick when it is cold outside. I have never actually used Spoke prep or anything specific like that because I am too cheap, hence my budget spoke driver post above.

12. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Definitely, agree. You need the conversion table or it is useless. But, I think the spoke tension meter is very valuable. Probably more valuable then a dish tool. I use mine for every wheelset I have built. Asym rims are pretty cool when it comes to wheel building and not having to mess around with trying to get equal tensions. They already pretty much do that for you, as long as you use the correct spoke lengths

13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Haha.....old school ways....

here is mine....

0F7F209F-FECC-43A0-8C6F-69F730D6873A.jpeg

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    You need to create a web site and start sellin' em for $20!!

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    So this is my kit for wheel builds..

3CF53D8C-D833-4714-8E1B-2B69C2229EC7.jpeg

96EE7B35-1FFF-4CDA-8A75-BE30089421D0.jpeg

Personally I use Tri Flow Dry lube for spoke prep. It lubricates well during the build them dries nicely as a bit of a thread locker, but still allows for easy turning of nipples later on. It also easily wiped off the spoke threads if you reuse the spokes.

I have 2 spoke wrenches. The Black Park wrench is the normal one for 95% of spokes out there. The round cheapie has multiple sizes and works ok for bigger sizes found on BSO’s.

the Park Spoke Tension Conversion Chart goes hand and hand with the TM-1. The numbers on the TM—1 have to be converted over so you know how many kPF’s your tension spokes to. It’s a bit confusing to use at first, but once you figure it out, it’s pretty simple.

Also included with tension chart is a spoke gauge. Makes quick work of determining which spokes you have. Just remember you always measure to the thinnest spot on the spokes.

I use a homemade nipple driver. Basically an old spoke bent with a brass nipple spun all the way up. This allows for installation of those last set of nipples where the spokes aren’t close to the backside of the rim.

the Shimano driver is nothing special. It’s just a good size and the bit is wide enough that it doesn’t wander around in the rim hole.

Ive got a Park TS-2.2. It’s about 10 years old now. It’s old enough I can do fat bike wheels. It is expensive. Not for the normal DIY peeps. Park and some others make much less expensive consumer Truing Stands.

16. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Exactly. But, mine is a black spoke

17. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    I have pretty much the same setup but with the addition of a DT Swiss spokey wrench and I do use a dishing tool. Plus, I always have a beer.
    https://wheelbuilder.com/dt-swiss-classic-nipple-wrenches/:~:text=DT Swiss Classic Nipple Wrenches are designed for,drive nipples are different than DT Squorx nipples.

mtnbikej, do you use a thru axle/boost adapter or just let the axle sit in the channels like with QR axles? I just let them sit in the channels and then try and tighten the stand against the hub spacers as much as is safe.

Danmtchl, Faust29, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I just use the axle from the fork or the frame. I have a spare 15mm Rock Shox Maxle and a spare DT 12mm axle.

I do have adapters that that work ok with 142 rear hubs, but my stand is old enough that Boost wasn't even a thought.

19. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Ha, I know that trick!

20. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Not a wheel builder, more of a wheel repairer. Probably laced up a dozen wheels in my time. I don't have all the fancy tools. Heck I wouldn't even have a truing stand if I didn't find one for free. Had to come up with other ways. Sure the bike shop was always an option but I'd rather do it myself. I could get damn close with a piece of tape and whatever the wheel was going on. Proper tools would be ideal if I'm going to keep doing this. The LBS wouldn't touch I9's aluminum spokes...whatever.
    tvw2.jpg

21. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Thats a neat trick. Yeah mtb wheels hardly need to have perfect true. Even(ish) correct tension mor important.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, Grego and 2 others like this.
  22. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I'm okay with an ever so slight left right wiggle. More concerned with keeping the rim round. No high /low spots. The tape helps out this way.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  23. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    true dat.

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Danmtchl and Mikie like this.
  25. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Not sure that link be workin'

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  26. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Internetting is hard.

Danmtchl, Mikie and mtnbikej like this.
  27. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Atta boy!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  28. Seriously_Tho

Seriously_Tho Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Alex Hearn
    Cool to see y'all pushing wheel building - it's a dying art for sure, not many still practice let alone even know how.

This has been sort of an obsession for me for about 6 yrs (actually started in late 80's) & recently working on a video set breaking down all the elements into easy lessons. Also working with some machinists for some specialized tools (for example, hand-powered nipple driver like above with an adjustable depth-setter rod).

Also just made a wall-mounted giant caliper for measuring rim ERD's quickly & accurately. Fun project, about $60 into it. A handful other helpful tools, how to post pictures here?

I'd be glad to chime in here if helpful. We've also got a facebook group of builders, about 20,000 members around the world, some of the most talented builders in the world there. Feel free to join - Bicycle Wheel Building Group.

29. Seriously_Tho

Seriously_Tho Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Alex Hearn
    For example, homemade dishing tools with ancient skewers

IMG_4833.JPG

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    This is one of the nit-picky things I have no desire to learn and will gladly pay someone to do.

But that's just me.