CHSP Green River

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fos'l, Nov 15, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    CHSP is open again (YAY!) and we rode from the Lambert entrance today. There were intermittent areas of burned terrain on the way to Four Corners, but just past that the extent of the fire was evident as a large swath of land was denuded. Here's my question: I really like the trails from the Green River entrance, but there has been a dormant freight train blocking the entrance for weeks (we noticed it on the way to Idyllwild yesterday).
    Does anyone know of a way to the entrance without going "through" the train (my wife won't do it) or parking a couple of exits before GR, and riding down the tracks (the entrance had a locked gate preventing it)?

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Redman and 3 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I used to park at Brush Canyon Park and hop over the split rail fence. Did that for a decade and a half. Then one day the rent a cop said I was trespassing and turned me around. Haven't been back since.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, Redman and 3 others like this.
  3. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Thanks; a year or so ago there was an open gate to get to the tracks., and we did that a few times Also, it's possible to enter off the 71 through the "main entrance", but it's farther each way and the gate doesn't open until 8 AM.

Cyclotourist, Mikie and Stkx66 like this.
  4. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    You can ride along the construction site and the golf course. The trail goes under the railway at that end. its hard to explain, but if you are coming out of the park, turn left at the tracks and take that road along the golf course to the end and turn right! I think it will be much more defined on the green river side of the tracks after all the construction is done.

I've been riding that on the gravel bike for about a year and never had any issues.

5. DBMX119

DBMX119 Member

Name:
    Rick McKee
    Oh and I was surprised, but very happy to see it is already open!

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Agreed....it’s been open for 2 weeks.

I may have to head out there next weekend.

Cyclotourist and fos'l like this.
  7. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    I was amazed that toward Scully from Four Corners the terrain was scorched totally, but from Lambert to Four Corners just a few burn areas. Guess the fire crews must have focused there in order to protect the houses (only makes sense). About a month ago I tried to go under the bridge by the construction and along the tracks on the golf course side of the train, but my wife wouldn't follow, so I retreated only to slide down the embankment by the tracks into a poison oak bush. She won't ride across the golf course, so guess it's the "Main Entrance.

trmn8er and Cyclotourist like this.
  8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    maybe east fence line is all cleared out from the fire? When brushed and groomed properly that trail is by far the longest and most fun ST in all of the park. And, if I remember correctly it is barely ever ridden. Def a hidden gem.

9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Thanks, I'll take a look. Last time I tried a swarm of bushes was intimidating enough to send me packing.

trmn8er, Cyclotourist and Redman like this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

That and the Alvuvle? Trail out bay the back entrance that is always taken over by the thistle and tumbleweeds.

Redman, trmn8er, fos'l and 1 other person like this.
  11. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    So I have ridden much of it since the fire. Skully is burned up the entire way. It did clear the brush making it easy to ride in that sense. As far as East Fenceline goes, I rode it last week and it too is all burned but rideable. Lots of holes and braking bumps, but all rideable. I did not do the extra climb to the South end of EFL but did from North tip to the South, then dropped elevation down toward Aliso Canyon.

I like the East side as there is rarely anyone up on Skully, EFL or Dragons Blood. It’s a shame it burned up but hopefully will recover well when we get some more rain.

F4765D86-FFAF-40C0-AC5C-EF36FDBE3C8B.jpeg

DC5F2258-505E-4A00-AD3D-D62D8CCB009D.jpeg

7FB15A96-CF76-47D6-B04F-62C90A677164.jpeg

Grassblade23, ~JB~, Redman and 5 others like this.
  12. bpacifica

bpacifica Member

Name:
    billy
    Current Bike:
    Pivot Shuttle
    Aluvial Trail is wide open. Get sum. Many single track gems now doable that have been under wraps for quite some time. IMO, this burn was a blessing for CHSP.

13. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    @trmn8er; nice pictures; I'll be taking a closer look tomorrow

trmn8er, bpacifica and Cyclotourist like this.
  14. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    CHSP / Lambert today early; Telegraph to Sycamore, which was graded and will be known as Newport Beach until it rains. Saw a ton of bikers when we went back, maybe some from here. We were the ancient couple on pre-war Santa Cruz's.

15. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Pre-war Santa Cruz:

[​IMG]

fos'l likes this.
  16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Freight train was still blocking the entrance to CHSP today, and it was moot since the parking lot was closed, so we entered through the "main" entrance. Lots of "new" trails since the fire cleared out massive clumps of bushes including "fenceline". Felt a little like riding on the moon if there is such a thing. Below are before and after photos of the intersection of Scully and Brush-less Canyon.thumbnail (5).jpeg thumbnail (5).jpeg

thumbnail.jpeg

Oaken, mtnbikej, Old&InTheWay and 3 others like this.
  17. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Sorry; I messed up trying to show just the before and after pictures.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?