The Automobile Thread

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by buggravy, Oct 20, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Unless you do your research and know exactly what you want before going in. Using Costco, there's no haggling. Prices are already negotiated. BTW, that Telluride looks pretty sharp.

2. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    It's definitely great package, Kelly blue book really liked it. it's probably my top choice right now. Gonna test ride it and the Chevy tonight.

We will probably use our credit union. Same idea as the costco program. I bought my hatchback like that, saved about 5 grand.

3. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I would also recommend adding the Hyundai Palisade to that list. A fancier version of the Telluride, with a better dealer experience. The Atlas is supposed to be kind of Plain Jane vehicle for the North American market. Don't know anything about the Traverse

4. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Oh yeah

All 3 of my choices are USA assembled as well.

5. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Palisade was actually on our initial short list as well.

6. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I like this suggestion..

But come March there will be a lot less bike riding on my schedule... hence the need for a vehicle with more room....

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Oh I don't go in if I can help it. I buy used or go thru AAA and then go in on the last day of the month near closing time. Agreed that the Telluride is a pretty nice rig. My wife has the new car itch and wants a new Subaru Outback but I keep trying to convince her that a nice Ford Transit connect MTB van would be a much better idea..:cool:

Danmtchl, Luis, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    We had the Telluride on the short list, until we discovered the $10-12,000 upcharge for market demand. So we bought a VW Atlas. Top of the line everything (AWD), for less than the Telluride without the market mark up. It's a big 'un. And smoooooove!

Danmtchl, Oaken, Rumpled and 7 others like this.
  9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Congrats!

Danmtchl, tick, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  10. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    For the growing fleet of bikes, errrr, family... also consider a minivan. Odyssey, Sienna, Pacifica Hybrid or AWD. I really like minivans, and wish we still had our Mazda MPV. That was a good vehicle for a family of five. Tons of storage with the third row down, and the sliding doors are cool. Drives like a car and got good mileage.

Fits a single bike in without having to take off the wheel:
    6251559608_c95b377828_b.jpg

This is with all the seats down/out, and a road bike, a mountain bike, and a tandem along with all my wife's and my gear for a couple of weeks:

9186737214_d90f8b1429_b.jpg

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Was this a recent purchase? I like the Atlas. It would likely be my pick if I was shopping in this space as well.

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    From this list the Ascent would get my vote without question. That said, it would be worth doing some checking on forums to see if they've gotten the issues sorted out with their Harmon Kardon branded infotainment systems. At this point I would assume so, but it was a big problem just a couple years ago. We experienced it an 18 Outback, which shared the same infotainment system as the Ascent. Ours shat the bed about 6 months in, and we were initially told it would take 2 - 3 months to get a new one because they were so back up with people needing new head units. Bear in mind numerous functions, such as climate control and bluetooth, were tied into the infotainment.

13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    On the base price maybe. But they'll still try to stick all the BS add-ons on top. And if you want the additional service plan/warranty you'll haggle over that too. None of that is covered by the Costco pricing, as I found out when I went in after getting the Costco pricing and the papers they handed me were $8k higher. That was a year ago.

No upcharge for market demand, but I'm hearing a lot of dealers are doing that right now.

14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    That's where my wife comes in. When we bought her Tundra, the finance guy was trying to sell us the extended warranty, the "free" oil changes, the bombproof exterior protection and whatever else they like to add on. After about 5 seconds of that, Jennifer told him to finish the paperwork before we get up and walk out. The look on his face. :eek::(:D

15. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Just finished some test drives.
    Chevy is out. Just... Unimpressive for a family vehicle. Felt very bare bones for a lot of money. A 40 grand vehicle shouldn't feel meh...

The telluride is very nice. Great features. Drives realllly nice... Roomy and comfortable.

16. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    What test drives without buying? You just ruined some slimy salesman’s day...:Roflmao:thumbsup::D

17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Subaru got the best mark in Motortrend but it did have little querks.

I did recently ask an owner of the Ascent if she liked it and she enthuiastically said that she LOVED IT.

18. Derkderkall

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Subarus have great resale and hold their value...
    Kia has awesome warranty

19. Luis

Luis iMTB Addict

Name:
    Luis
    Current Bike:
    La Diabla
  20. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Telluride has a lot of Volvo XC90 in its side and rear profile. Looks nice. We loved our XC90. And it was pretty decent off road too. My wife was not happy with me when we took it up imogene pass and she made me turn around. But it was doing fine...

Anywho, my 2015 Outback has been adequate. We miss the Volvo, but we don’t miss paying $400 for $80 parts because the dealership has complimentary gourmet coffee.

21. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    F&I guys are THE WORST! I think they're the ones that end up giving dealers a bad image. Usually the front sales people are fine, especially if you know what you want and what you'll pay for it. F&I in the back though... arrrrgh! Get pre-approved from a credit union or bank before you go in, and just say no to everything they offer, and you'll do fine.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes. Purchased it the same day as the last time we rode together. Replaced my wife's Toyota Sienna.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Imogene gets pretty rough. Low range recommended. True locking hubs and differential couldn't hurt.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Try the VW Atlas (it's an Audi Q7 with a little less power) or the Atlas Cross Sport (It's a Q8) - a little sportier looking, but no 3rd row. Both are roomier than the Telluride, smoother too. Every Atlas we looked at already had a 2" receiver trailer hitch installed as well. That's not a small detail for a bike guy.

I saw these two vehicles parked about 5 spots from each other at Doheny a couple of weeks ago.

Atlas Sport (although this one doesn't have the receiver hitch)
    Atlas Sport.JPG

Audi Q8:
    Audi Q8.JPG

25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Well, belated congrats! That's a fine automobile.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and herzalot like this.
  26. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    My bad, that trip was Ophir Pass...we turned around not long after the ghost town...had to revisit my San Juans geography

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Ophir pass is much more doable in a common SUV with some ground clearance than Imogene. Both pale in comparison to Black Bear, which a buddy of mine says he successfully navigated in his 1984 Subrau Outback. I never had the courage to try Black Bear. Imogene exceeded my comfort limit in a couple of places in my 4 cylinder 1988 Nissan Hardbody pickup - with low range transmission and locking hubs..

28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I long had plans to take my 4Runner back to do a bunch more out there. Sadly that amazing machine is no longer with us. If I get my dad’s Samurai road legal again, that thing would do the Black Bear switchbacks no sweat...Hmm...might have discovered a project...

29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    No reliability issues with the Volvo?

Sasquatch9billion and Danmtchl like this.
  30. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    I'm with you @Cyclotourist , but it's unfortunate that the minivan has lost it's popularity over the years....funny how vehicles develop an 'image'.
    The few times I used our van (used to have one)for a ride were the most comfortable, especially after the ride. The ability to change inside, standing up. Lounging inside with the side doors open with lots of leg room if the middle seats are removed!
    I'm now considering putting a removable seat/bed in a Sienna (@Voodoo Tom ) , camper van that can also be used as a people mover .