Morning lights

Discussion in 'Lights' started by UPSed, Sep 15, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Jennifer is going to start doing some early morning rides with a friend of hers and needs a light for the first 30 or so minutes until the sun comes up. I'm thinking NiteRider Lumina Dual 1800 or Lumina 1200 Boost. Any other suggestions?

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    For pre dawn starts.....especially that short of a duration, I prefer to run the minimum I can.

Most rides start with climbing...this you don’t need the Daylighter 8000 lumen lights. If gets light quick as soon as the sun begins to rise.

even with that said, 1200 lumens is plenty for a normal night ride.

3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    For 30 minutes, start with a lumina micro 850, and if that’s not enough add a 1200 and move the 850 to the helmet. Almost the same price but now you have two, and the 850 is almost certainly enough.

4. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Her friend is running a Serfas 1600. Jennifer really liked the wider brighter pattern over my single light. She'll be riding from home so maybe brighter is better?

DangerDirtyD and Faust29 like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    For just 30 mins I'd just get a cheap chinese knockoff from Amazon. Or splurge on a Magicshine or PDW light. Magicshines are very nice now. Both of these are USB chargeable:

https://www.magicshine.us/product/eagle-600-oled-front-bike-light/

This is the light I've been using for the last 5 yrs or so. It works great, more than enough light for anything but fast descending. I usually run it in lowest setting for climbs, higher for descents. $60 https://ridepdw.com/collections/hea...over-700-usb-headlight?variant=11889006673977

Looking at Niterider they have some less bright / cheaper lights now. Honestly the Micro 650 would be plenty of light for what Jennifer needs. 900 would work too. If she does a lot of riding in the dark a second one can always be added.

No need to spend more than you need to. If it gets used a lot you can always add a helmet light. Better to have a second light as backup. too.

Faust29, Old&InTheWay and UPSed like this.
  6. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    When I ride at night, I use a smaller light for the beginning climbs. My climbing light is the Lumina 750, but I'd have no problem going downhill with it.

I can say that they have a decent warranty, as well. Mine spent way too much time in the rain last year, and one of the seals must have given out. I emailed the company (in San Diego...) and they had a replacement out to me pretty quickly.

UPSed likes this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    UPSed likes this.
  9. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    mtnbikej and DangerDirtyD like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    11969433.jpg

tick, herzalot, Danimal and 4 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?