Bike Saddles- Recommendations

Discussion in 'Saddles' started by Ocpop, Aug 16, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I’ve never been really comfortable in the seat my Pivot came with so I’m looking to try something different. I know it’s clearly an individual preference but I have no idea what to try. If you guys have any suggestions or an old standby you swear by, let me know. Thanks.

mike, DangerDirtyD, kingaucho and 2 others like this.
  2. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    Two saddles I love are the:
    Fizik Tundra M3. I have multiple ones on different bikes. I love a flat saddle and it works well with my body type. Yes they are expensive but in my opinion worth it.
    https://www.fizik.com/us_en/tundra-m3.html

Ergon SM Pro Men, this is my current saddle of choice, it is not as flat as the Fizik, but still very comfortable. I have the M/L because it is the closet to the size I need.
    https://www.ergonbike.com/en/product-details.html?a=saettel&anr=44001402&s=smmtb

Cyclotourist, Ocpop, mike and 3 others like this.
  3. kingaucho

kingaucho Well-Known Member

Name:
    Lubo
    Current Bike:
    Giant Anthem 29er
    Saddles are such a personal preference. Unlike @Danmtchl I really don’t feel comfortable on Fizik saddles. I like SDG Bel Air and WTB Volt and Silverado.

Cyclotourist, Ocpop, mike and 2 others like this.
  4. shawndoh

shawndoh Well-Known Member

Name:
    shawn
    Current Bike:
    I ride all the bikes!
    Everything you could ask for...

Screenshot_20200811-184755_Instagram.jpg

Cyclotourist, mtnbikej, Ocpop and 2 others like this.
  5. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Myself and a lot of people I know run WTB Rockets. They're inexpensive but fairly comfortable. WTB does have a demo program available at some shops where you can borrow a saddle to see if it works for you.

If you've been having issues with various saddles it may be worth having a shop measure you for fitment. Saddles come in different widths and lengths so you may just have the wrong size.

kingaucho, Ocpop, mike and 3 others like this.
  6. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I worked on a bike with a Bell saddle very close to this one.

Ocpop and DangerDirtyD like this.
  7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It might be wise to know which saddle is actually on your PIvot. I am relatively certain it is a WTB of some kind with a Pivot logo on it. Most likely a Volt. Also, measure the saddle's widest point. You may have a saddle that's too narrow for your "sit bones" or too wide. The WTB website has a method for figuring out your proper width that seems a little odd, but they swear it's accurate (wrist width). Click here.

8. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    The Path bike shop can measure your " sit bones " . They fixed up Courtney with a better seat after going through the process. ( Which is quite simple ;) )

9. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Thanks guys. The current saddle is a Phoenix WTB Pro Vigo according to the spec sheet. It’s a fairly heavily padded saddle. I’d like to try something with a lighter padding.

10. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Might try this.

Danmtchl likes this.
  11. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    Thanks, will checkout the site

Danmtchl and herzalot like this.
  12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Width (and shape) for me was paramount ... Not padding. Years in the wrong saddles .. even lead to some very painful tendinitis where the hamstring attached to the sit bones then measured turns out I am a ~130mm guy ... Wahluhh life / riding was all good.

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    WTB saddles, as mentioned: Good value.

I’ve used Silverado, Volt, Pure V, Speed V, Rocket. The Volt and Pure are my go-tos. Pure borders on too plush now that I’ve spent time on the Volt.

Yes, get measured and buy the best width. Models have different widths, and each model comes in multiple widths. 142 width seems perfect for me. Though a narrower saddle will work better for technical/DH, the suboptimal comfort pedaling is not worth it to me.

As said, it’s somewhat personal. My stock Pivot Silverado saddle was unusable until I had ridden regularly a few years. Like any bike part, you zero in on what works over time.

Cyclotourist, Danmtchl, UPSed and 2 others like this.
  14. Lost Kiwi

Lost Kiwi Well-Known Member

Name:
    Simon
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I typically run Selle Italia's on my bikes, currently have an SLR on the roadie and Novus on the MTBs. One of the most comfortable saddles I ever had was back when I was racing (and a poor student) the saddle was getting battered and looked pretty rough so I just stripped it down to a bare shell and rode that. I did the same when I built the Proflex, had an old saddle lying round in the spares box, stripped it, drilled some holes in shell to soften it up a bit and then gave it a good sanding to smooth it out. I think its an old Selle Italia, you can't do this with every saddle, some you'll strip and the shell will just be the wrong shape. Yes it looks a bit like a medieval torture device but its surprising comfortable!
    IMG_5738.jpg

15. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Just broke the rails on my WTB "Ti-railed "Something" (can't tell what it is since I replaced some of the leather) after 15 years, and seems like any of their saddles has been comfortable for me. The Fizik I had around, not so good, so new WTB this week. BTW, anyone know whether the rails are worth anything as scrap metal?

Cyclotourist, mike, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  16. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I switched to the ISM PM 2.0 last year. I will not use another saddle. Taint smash is so old school... not i'm never numb anymore after using this saddle. I have even stopped wearing chamois liners with my shorts on all my rides.

Do they look weird... sure they do. But the feel is great. :cool:

I've tried so many saddles... done the sit bone measuring at the Path... adjusted the saddle in every direction but still experienced the boys going numb. I shouldn't HAVE to stand up because my saddle is uncomfortable and i need blood to flow to my legs again... i should only stand up to mash when i chose to stand... which is rare... lol

Just my $.02

pm-2-0.jpg

Cyclotourist, mike, Ocpop and 10 others like this.
  17. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    That saddle is just weird. :eek:

Oh, all right. I have three of them. :cautious: The only time I was ever unhappy with the company or the saddle was when they changed the name from the Adamo Peak to PM 2.0. They increased the price about $80 at the same time. The plastic bodies of the saddles have the same model numbers stamped on the bottom. They changed the color... My oldest saddle has been with me since 2012, and is still seeing duty on the Sutra.

I'll climb up on my soapbox again... If you ever get numb "down there", you are doing something wrong. Loss of blood to that area is never a good thing...

Cyclotourist, mike, Ocpop and 7 others like this.
  18. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Koobi au enduro. Center channel to relieve perineal pressure.

mike, Ocpop, fos'l and 1 other person like this.
  19. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I bought the WTB Volt and have been using it for last few weeks. So far so good. No numbness issues yet.

mike, fos'l, Danmtchl and 2 others like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Great saddle, IMO. My first bike came with a WTB Volt Team. My second bike came with a fancy Fabric carbon fiber rail type nonsense ... which shattered on a crash down the top part of Lizard.

I replaced it with the WTB Volt Team and instantly realized how much better it was. So much more comfortable, and good luck breaking titanium rails. :p

fos'l, mike, Grego and 5 others like this.
  21. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    And as an added bonus, the titanium Volt is significantly lighter than the seat it replaced.

Cyclotourist, mike, fos'l and 3 others like this.
  22. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4

one of my favorite videos on saddles :)

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  23. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Just put this on and so far my butt likes it!! Only 130g.

IMG_20200903_175518.jpg

IMG_20200903_175618.jpg

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, fos'l and 5 others like this.
  24. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Looks nice, who makes that?

Danmtchl, fos'l, mike and 1 other person like this.
  25. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I could have sex in the feed zone. :Roflmao

Best testimonial ever for a saddle. From 3:00 to the end is gold...

Danmtchl, mike, fos'l and 2 others like this.
  26. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark

27. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Perfect for the WW bike. 70g less than a ti Volt. Intrigued.

Danmtchl, Faust29 and fos'l like this.
  28. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
  29. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    I'm going to order three of them. :p

Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  30. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    OK - time to resurrect one of the saddle threads. I hated to resurrect this one, since it is called "bike seat" and we super-cool cyclists know that if you think it's a bike seat, then you're doing it wrong! But it's the most recent, so here goes.

I've been on WTB saddles for years. They typically come on a bike if you ever buy a complete bike, they are ubiquitous (like Maxxis Minions) and they work. But I've struggled a little with some nether region pain - not numbness. I ascribed it to not riding often enough, but honestly, that's a different kind of pain. Plus my hip issue continues (see thread from 4 years ago if you are interested).

So before looking for a replacement for my WTB Silverado, I went to the WTB website and found their interesting method for determining your sit bone width - measuring your wrist width. Rachel Atherton swears it's accurate! So based on that, I was a medium. Side note - why would they use a world cup downhiller to endorse a saddle? But I gots me a Volt in medium. @mtnbikej uses them, so I should too!

Nope.

So - back to my narrow Rocket? Back to the Silverado? Try a different brand?

Ergon SM looks like it might work. Yoann Barelli says so. The Ergon site says measure your hip circumference at widest point. OK. I have narrow hips so I must be a ... wait, what? I need a medium/large? Ohhh kay - if you say so. That's twice I've measured out wider than I thought.

Ergon SM Comp in M-L is now on the bike. Two rides in and I think I can say...

Yep.

But if this one doesn't work out in the longer run, I may have to follow @Faust29 and get a lobster claw, just so I don't shove a saddle nose up my sphincter while climbing. Instead, I would create two new dimples on my butt!