Contact point: Yurrass

Discussion in 'Health' started by mike, Jul 19, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Maybe the saddle-liner-shorts topic got played out in the Pattagucci thread. If not, you can add insights here...

I rode and pushed for over 12 hours in mildly sweaty weather with no saddle discomfort:

WTB Pure saddle (will try Volt soon)
    Ex Officio Sport Mesh briefs
    Patagonia Dirt Craft shorts without liner

In fairness there was a lot of dismounting and pushing. I had Cham Butt’r on board; never applied it.

What’s your winning combo?

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  2. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    My winning combo is

Phenom saddle
    Ex Officio chones
    Specialized Enduro Comp shorts or Demo pants

No pads or cream for me.
    HTFU!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Ohhh thought it's said Uranus.... After all history was made...

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Waaaaay fewer Uranus jokes than I thought they would unleash. C'mon, a ball...in a hole...on Uranus...with a putter.... so many 8th grade jokes just sitting there for the taking. Congrats to the boys for their restraint. "I've never seen this much pressure around Uranus" was pretty good.

Oh and I like my Troy Lee Ruckus shorts and padded liner. 2020 version. BUTT, I rarely ride more than 4 hours, so my opinion doesn't count for much.

hill^billy, Mikie, Danmtchl and 5 others like this.
  5. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Used to ride plastic BMX saddles back in the day. Current MTB saddles are fluffy by comparison. Never needed to consider padded shorts. Looks like you're wearing a diaper anyway.:laugh: The Volt is my saddle of choice.

heyitsdave, Mikie, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  6. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I use Patagonia shorts and inner chamoise and like them fine. Could be the best shorts ive had.

Used to use TLD Rukus shorts and like them alot. Butt the velcro closure/adjuster is a loser for me and i dumped them for that reason. Velcro no more!!

However the exofficio sport mesh are my every days, so I'm going to try @mike s combo and see if I prefer it.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Ohhhh ..jokes....must not be watching consistently... It's an endless stream... That was just a sample.

Me ...
    Voler or Pearl chamois
    Club Ride or New Tasco Shorts
    Butt'r if / when needed / long ride
    Current saddle WTB Silverado narrow

Mikie, Danmtchl, Danimal and 2 others like this.
  8. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My saddle has been the butt of many an IMTB joke... But my junk will never get tingly. :p Each new bike has come with a WTB Volt saddle. I try it. It ends badly. I give it away... I just need to stick to the ISM, even if they keep raising the price. :cautious:

I like the Troy Lee and Fox shorts, and their respective liners. But... The San Gabes have forced me to re-think some things. I hate pants, but they seem to be a necessary evil up here with the poison oak, yucca, and buckthorn. The Specialized pants are quite comfy, but I still wear them with a liner. I go without the padding every now and then, but not full time.

As far as butters and creams, I don't use any... The one and only time I did was at Kokopelli last year. Just in case... And I pre-applied the anti-chafe to the liners before I left home, so it was one less thing to worry about in the mornings.

So:
    ISM Saddle
    Troy Lee & Fox shorts with liners (occasionally no liner...)
    Specialized pants with a liner (Haven't tried yet with no liner...)
    No butters!

Mikie, Danmtchl, bvader and 3 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Less saddle time is the best remedy to cheekie aches.

The Uranus jokes never felt funny. Probably because Ya’ll sayin it wrong. It’s pronounced “Ooranoes.“

Mikie, Danmtchl and mike like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yes, I watch frequently, that's why I was surprised that they left so many on the table! Their delivery is priceless.

Mikie, bvader, Danmtchl and 1 other person like this.
  11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yes, but the calouses suffer. :thumbsdown::sneaky:

Mikie, Danmtchl and DangerDirtyD like this.
  12. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  13. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Pearl Izumi Bibs
    Fox shell....now trying out some Tasco shells

Chamois butter on some of the really long rides.....or really hot rides.

Won't ride without a chamois. Cheap shorts/bibs usually have cheap bulky chamois.

WTB Volt on both bikes.

shawndoh, Danmtchl, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Koobi au enduro saddle

Zoic premium liner

Danmtchl, Mikie and mike like this.
  15. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    It's amazing when you ask personal preference questions how vast the variety of answers are. I think when I ask these types of questions I'm seeking the common theme.
    It's like Cathy. She has no idea what is good or bad. She only knows when it's better or worse from where she is at.

I DO know that I am done with Pearl Izumi and their textured pad. They used to have a pad that was more of a smooth organic type material so it helped to absorb the "swamp" but then they went to this much more synthetic pad that does like zero wicking. I mean seriously... Pearl Izumi? Like... don't they thoroughly test their Sh!t out?!?!? It destroyed my azz. For days after.

So from the last thread @mike started it ended in an underwear discussion (not trying to derail Yo Uranus) so I went and bought some 32 Degree nut hugger underwear and they are frikken amazing! A great barrrier even between the crappy PI shorts, but just awesome underwear. I'm all in on the all day rides so I'm in the same position as you mike. Seeking that panacea for short saddle combo.
    Up until my new saddle on my Hardtail, I was totally in on the Phenom saddle.
    Below is the SQLabs saddle I have now. @Tom the Bomb recommended it and it is now my first love.
    upload_2020-7-20_9-51-42.png

OTHRider, Danmtchl, UPSed and 6 others like this.
  16. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    This is @Faust29 's new saddle he just picked up!
    upload_2020-7-20_9-53-20.png

OTHRider, mike, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  17. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    My next Saddle...

MrGreedom, scan, mike and 3 others like this.
  18. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    My go to currently is:

Jakroo Infinity I Bib Shorts - the chamois is super thin. More like a tri short pad.
    ISM Saddle
    Bag balm as needed when weather is super hot or i'm attempting a long ride. If its good enough for cows then its... :thumbsup:

mike and Mikie like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    I have 6 different pairs of chamois ranging from tights to padded tights to bibs to time trial onsies to shorts with integrated padded liner. Each of my bikes also has a different model saddle, but all of which are the same (or close to the) 155mm width. I suppose I take the @Runs with Scissors approach of just ride whatever.

20. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yes, our favorite show!

mike, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  21. heyitsdave

heyitsdave Member

Name:
    Dave Gilbert
    Current Bike:
    29er single speed
    No padded shorts. Riding a Brooks saddle on my Townie and beach cruiser built the calluses long ago. Tech boxer briefs with no seams in the butt area for long rides is all it takes. Seats for me are all about being wide enough for my sit bones so I get the larger sizes.

22. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    BAM!

mike, heyitsdave and Danmtchl like this.
  23. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I have a leather saddle that I can, literally, ride all day for weeks with no pad or even freeballing. But the saddle has a terrible shape for moving around on, so for technical MTB it works just meh. Particularly, the rear frame of the saddle creates too much an edge to get behind comfortably.

Mikie, heyitsdave and mtnbikej like this.
  24. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    RaceFace Stash Bib shorts
    Royal Racing Core Shorts over the bib
    WTB Silverado Saddle
    No butter, just the raw dog!

mike, Mikie, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  25. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The last two all-day rides were liner-less.

Yesterday I used Ex Officio “Give-N-Go” synth briefs (okay, fkking weird name for underwear), Patagonia Dirt Craft shorts, which sadly are not available without liners. WTB brand Pure saddle, 142mm wide because my ass is not Boost.

Liberation from the pad is key for me mitigating moisture and staying un-injured in warmer weather. We talk about callouses, but I think truthfully the nerves get tempered to pressure.

26. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    I found this youtube video interesting... taint smashing is real!! :speechless:

27. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    For me, padded shorts solved some problems at first. Then they caused some problems and finally became the problem. That's when I got rid of the problem.
    Switching to unpadded, wicking, snug-fitting, briefs, paired with just an outer short has been amazing. I don't have to use just the right chamois. I don't have to use anti-chafing creams. And I don't have to wear whatever liner is sewn into the shorts.
    The change is so complete, that unless it's commando time, I'm sporting my Ex-Officios daily.
    I rarely think about my ass on rides anymore unless it's dragging or it's going over my head!

bvader, heyitsdave, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  28. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I think a lot of saddles are pretty good these days, so it's easier to get by without chamois.

And I'm not talking about comfort here, I mean anatomically, for vascular flow etc...

Mikie, Runs with Scissors and mike like this.
  29. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I've done most of my rides recently sans chamois. 3+ hour rides, no issue. I wore my bib shorts to ride yesterday and it was kinda uncomfortable after about an hour. I dunno, for some rides the pad may make sense, but it seems like less and less. And maybe less is more.

mike, Mikie and DangerDirtyD like this.
  30. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    So if I'm reading the direction of this thread. There are those that are migrating away from chamois. Interesting.
    To be honest. I always thought they just got in the way, hanging up on the saddle from time to time.
    I'm thinking I might just start hitting some in week rides sans and see how that goes.
    I still dislike baggies though as well. Too frikken hot with the same challenge of hanging up on the saddle nose at the least opportune moments... :confused:

rossage, mike and mtnbikej like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?