Where do You Want to Retire... and Why?

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by Mikie, Aug 10, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    Not sure if I have replied to this before or not.
    Me, I want to retire in South OC; where I live right now. Close to the beach, close to MTB trails and good road riding. Sadly, Seizure World is almost getting inviting.
    My wife wants to retire to Napa County. Waaay too expensive. Sonoma County might work out better. Other than a cold ocean, would not be too bad. Other than leaving friends of 20-30 years and having to find new friends; not a bad option.
    My main thing is if we can use our condo equity to pay for most or all of our next place then we could probably do OK in retirement.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Keep in mind the retiree property tax thingie - I can't remember the prop number - that allows you to take your current property tax amount to a new property of equal or lesser value in a reciprocating county. Because if you're gonna stay in CA, them property taxes are of paramount importance.

3. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I don't see retiring to a higher value, and I seem to remember that OC doesn't fit with others.

mountaingirl sara, Faust29 and Mikie like this.
  4. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    It’s prop 90, most of the southern CA and silicon valley counties participate, as does Tuolomne.

Sadly, El Dorado county no longer participates, otherwise it would be my #1 choice for retirement.

5. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Ah how quickly time flies...

Another year, another massive California income tax increase.

mountaingirl sara, Mikie and Faust29 like this.
  6. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Steamboat Springs CO (at the moment). But I doubt that will happen, and it will depend a lot on what our 10 yo does after high school.

Oh - why? Small vibrant community, great skiing and mt. biking (plus much more), remote enough to not have the Denver weekend crowds. 4 legitimate seasons. Friends already live there. Resort is separate from the town. A river runs through it...

7. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Got excited when I read ^ that. Sadly its a bit far. My "real" playground will be Colorado Springs. Apparently a cornucopia of trails to seek out. Five hours away from the flatland in KS. My bucket list is short, go figure out the pikes peak trail 7000 ft' drop to the bottom.:confused::thumbsup: My front yard last year, kinda takes the fun out of hunting.

Turkeys.jpg

8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I lived in C Springs from 1987-1993. Started Mt biking there. Palmer Park was an awesome in-town techy treat. I am sure Mt biking has expanded greatly in the 27 years since then.

9. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    From what if read its a Mecca! My buddy lives there is retired & can't ride anymore, but I'll stay there and annoy him until he makes me go home. How much snow Herz????

10. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Found your place, and one for mikie.

11. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    One of my regular riding friends told me today he's moving to Austin. In less than two weeks.....im like WTF....how'd you keep that secret?

Another good friend moved to Rogue river Oregon about a year ago.

A lot of folks are leaving calif....at this rate a lot of my long term friends will be gone.

12. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    One more of these from an area that’s under consideration in my household. This realtor’s video guy is incredible, it’s basically half HGTV and half David Attenborough.

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Most years C Springs only gets sporadic snowstorms of 2-6" followed by days of clear weather. Snow usually melts between storms and doesn't continuously pile up. There's usually a solid two-week deep freeze somewhere during the winter, but CO Front Range winters ain't nothing compared to the midwest, Great Lakes regions. But it can get windy, drifty and downright blizzardy at times, however, you will see the sun more often than you won't.

14. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    How do you fly into Steamboat, Denver?

15. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    LAX to Hayden, nonstop.

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Jeff? Or Kevin?

mountaingirl sara, mtnbikej and Mikie like this.
  17. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    I was getting all excited that we might get a hurricane. No luck. Guess Charlotte is too far inland.

Sunny and beautiful today... high of 84.

lake.jpg

18. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I'm going on a road trip to Boulder to drop on my freshmen daughter at CU...

My current plan is to visit Flagstaff (or Prescott) , Durango, Crested Butte, Carbondale, Boulder, Park City, and head home.
    During the trip I'll be scouting location for a second home/AirBnB investments. Any suggestion on location I should add to the trip ( steamboat).

I'm looking for a place that is 60 minutes or less from a real airport, 45 minutes forma ski resort, diverse MTB trail network, Some water sport potential, reliable internet, reliable sewer system.

19. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Dang it, I need to buy in ridgway before everyone else does.

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Define "real airport."

21. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    I know that there are many regional airports in Colorado.
    My definition of "real airport":
    1) Daily flights to SoCal preferably direct flight.
    2) Big enough for commercial jets to land in.

I'm not too picky, but if I need to fly on a small prop plane to Denver (or Dallas) in order to fly back to OC I'm going to consider it a drawback.
    The whole world of aviation is a complete mess at the monument, and many of the smaller routs are not being serviced right now.
    I know that in the past Aspen and Grand Junction had direct flight to LA.

22. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Hayden (Steamboat) has the longest of the regional airport runways at 10,000' (at about 5800' of altitude). 737s (and A320s) land there. 757s could to. By comparison, John Wayne's is just over 5700' of runway at sea level. Hayden hosts direct flights to and from LAX.

Prescott had daily jet flights to LAX and Denver, before the pandemic. Gunnison (Crested Butte) is far more remote, as is La Plata County (Durango). La Plata handles jets and daily flights to reasonable connecting hub cities. So does Gunnison. At least they did, and probably will again. Eagle County airport (Vail) is quite busy with jet traffic from many major hub cities.

FYI I'm told Aspen is one of the scarier airports to approach - at 7800' of elevation, requiring a steep descent and high speed landing.
    Aspen Approach.png

and Telluride's 6900' runway looks like an aircraft carrier (at over 9000' of elevation) - thin air means high landing speeds. Wheee! Get the tailhook! Commercial service ceased there in 2014 - I wonder why?
    Telluride Approach.png

Looks like I am wrong. Denver Air Connection (affiliated with United) has daily jet flights from TEX to DEN and vice versa No thanks.

23. HBkites

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Thanks for all the info... I didn't know you are an aviation buff.

Steamboat will be added to the list.

Mikie and mountaingirl sara like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Don’t know why, but I am. Never had a desire to actually learn to fly though. I guess I have a hard enough time landing my bike without injuring the one passenger, I can’t imagine being responsible for getting others safely back to earth...

ausace, Mikie, Robbie and 3 others like this.
  25. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Was talking with a guy at work about his plans, it seems Ridgway is on his list as well, and he’s never even been there. He was just looking for the western slope, but not Grand Junction, and Ridgway came up. After watching the ranch salesman’s video, he’s all in.

as I was saying, I guess I gotta get in now.

26. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Did you pre-order your copy yet?

27. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Steamboat was our #1 choice at one time. Tree skiing, actually snowboarding, at Steamboat is my favorite place to ride. I knew that place like the back of my hand at one time. Unfortunately, we decide we don't want to live in the snow 4-5 month out of the year several years ago.

HBkites, Mikie, buggravy and 2 others like this.
  28. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I found Ridgway while randomly looking at CO real estate and was impressed. I then drove thru the area in Sept 2017 on my way from Crested Butte to Durango. It was stunningly beautiful. I returned in October 2018 to ride the RAT trails. They were fun enough but that's all they have right close and there is NOTHING going on in that town, it's tiny tiny tiny....but it's beautiful and you're close to Telluride and the "big city of Montrose.

29. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I your friend in the tech industry or does he appreciate freeway traffic as horrendous as LA? I can't think of any other good reason to move to Austin but what the heck, what's one more Californian. They've already ruined that city...the Berkeley of Texas. My last relative in Austin fled in 2018 after living there all 68 years of her life.

30. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    The town ain’t much, but that’s kind of the point...if you’re looking for something to do, you drive to Telluride, and if you’re in need of something to buy, you drive into Montrose (or maybe all the way to Grand Junction).

My wife went to high school in Vernal, UT. She’s got a good handle on navigating life in small intermountain west towns. Me? I’ve lived in OC all my life, I don’t have a clue how I’d actually deal with down time. I think I’d be fine but I don’t really know. I’d have to have a long term project, for sure. One guy at work wants to build a gyrocopter after retiring. :eek:

I do know that folks out there drive enormous distances without thinking a thing about it. My in-laws would drive from Maeser, UT to Rangely, CO just to go to church. Good that 85 octane is so cheap.

HBkites, Old&InTheWay, Mikie and 7 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?