Upgrade questions...

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by 45acpguy, Jun 28, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    Do any of you ride a 4 piston front brake w/ 2 piston rear? My FUSE Expert currently has Sram T’s. I was thinking of going with the Code RSC in the front and leaving the Level T on the rear. Also, is there any benefit in going with a Sram GX derailleur & shifter over the NX?

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I have been told many times that the higher level shifter is more important than the derailleur but that was when dealing with higher level components. While I know that most people seem happy with their NX components, I've read that the rear derailleur is mostly plastic and if that's true, I can't imagine the GX not being better. There are definitely people running a mixed piston brake set-up as I've read about it on MTBR.

Speaking of upgrades....shouldn't you be changing your name to 10mmguy :speechless:

Mikie, mike, Stkx66 and 5 others like this.
  3. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I have Magura MT5 4 piston brakes in the front and MT2 2 piston in the rear and they work great. Magura actually makes a set that is this way, the Trail model.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  4. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Not sure I'd put a Code on the front and leave the Level on the back. Seems so very unbalanced. Maybe a Guide up front and keep the Level out back.

As far as GX over NX.....yes. NX is entry level....and will wear out much quicker. Yes, a nicer shifter will make a crappy RD feel better. The biggest difference in NX vs. GX shifter is the mounting. NX has a molded bar clamp, whereas GX is matchmaker compatible. That alone is worth the cost of the upgrade.

Mikie, mike, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  5. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Get the gx shifter. Skip the derailleur until it breaks or needs to be replaced.

45acpguy, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  6. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    Any particular reason for wanting to upgrade? I would just ride it as is for a bit to see what you can live with and what absolutely needs improvement. I've seen so many people go down that upgrade rabbit hole on compromise bikes and the end result is almost the same. They had wished they had just purchased the nicer bike at the beginning and saved a bunch of time and headache. I don't know if you're in that boat, but I'd only upgrade anything if it's really impacting how big the smile is on your face when you're riding.

7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I was thinking the same thing... But last time he was around he asked for bike opinions on Monday, bought one on Tuesday, upgraded it on Wednesday, and sold it on Thursday. :Roflmao

I think he likes to tinker...

As far as the brakes go, most people hate the Levels. I've learned to live with them on the single speed, and I appreciate the raw stopping power. I'd say they are equally as strong as 2-piston XTs and probably stronger. The modulation isn't there, though. And they are a lot more finicky to keep running. XTs just seem to work...

If you want power and control, 4-piston XTs are the way to go. :inlove:

8. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @45acpguy I fully agree with @skyungjae . Learn to ride the bike you have, the way it is. If you are truly a newbie, the bikes poor spec components aren't holding you back. Becoming a good rider on low end equipment will make you that much of a better rider once you upgrade. I'd ride your bike the way it is until parts wear out and require replacement.

9. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    I’m one of those that despised the Level brakes. It would have been better to use my foot “Flintsone” style.

10. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    I liked the chronological breakdown of my last ride... LMAO!

11. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    I was a pretty avid rider around 7-8 years ago, so I understand and appreciate the higher quality components. While shopping around at a few LBS, I didn’t see any alloy frame HT’s with the higher end XX1 / XO1 drive components and 4 piston brakes. Based on that, I chose the highest spec’d alloy HT available, which happened to be this Fuse Expert. I knew from the start I would be spending another $1K or so to make it what I’d like. I’ve read a lot of people are pretty satisfied with the SRAM GX line and I’m sure it will be plenty good for my needs. Shoot, $170 for the GX shifter and derailleur, why not? But when it comes to brakes, I definitely want the good stuff! I’m 5’10” @ a solid 215lbs. I can pick up speed fairly quick, lol. So, having some serious stopping power is very reassuring to me

12. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Just get the XT 4 piston brakes and be done with it. You can probably trade the Level T brakes for a sharable size bag of M&M's if you can find a sucker. :Roflmao

13. 45acpguy

45acpguy Member

Name:
    Dave
    Current Bike:
    Intense Tracer Enduro
    I’m going use the Level T’s on my tool carts

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I hardly ever agree with Mike, and I'm usually tempted to block him when he posts pictures of his rides all over the country, but I have to agree with this one... The 4 piston XTs are just magic. That's from another sub-6 foot 210 pounder. Well, maybe 215-220 since the lockdown began. :p

And throw the Levels up on the classified section. You never know who might bite...

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?