Any Migraine Sufferers Among Us?

Discussion in 'Health' started by SnakeCharmer, Jun 28, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I searched and couldn't find anything but I know that we have talked about this here before.

I used to be a fairly regular migraine sufferer. Slowly, over the course of years, I learned what my triggers are and I've been consistent about avoiding them. I do not believe that I have any food triggers, but some migraine sufferers do.

For me they are:
    dehydration- I drink a lot more water now since then
    heat- I avoid it whenever possible
    stress- COVID-19 isn't helping!
    lack of sleep- I'm not a good sleeper, overall
    seasonal allergies- I've been taking allergy meds daily since then
    bright light- I've always had light sensitive eyes and I wear sunglasses frequently

I hadn't had one in quite a while but that changed today. And, there is no obvious reason for it. The air is cool and moist. I've been keeping well hydrated. I've been sleeping fair. I always take my allergy meds. My stress level is slightly elevated due to a few things, so that could be it.

I'd call this headache a mid-grade to minor grade level in pain. I knew it was coming earlier today too. When I have one coming, I usually have gray patches (partial blindness) in my vision. The next step is auras. Then after those go away, the pain sets in. It starts above my right eye and or in my temples and over the course of hours, it spreads out around my head and into neck. I also have light sensitivity and sound sensitivity, as well as blurred vision to some degree.

If I am able to take meds at the first sign of auras, I can usually limit how bad it's going to get. Therefore, I haven't had a severe one in several years, thank God! Bad ones have me squirming in bed, moaning in pain, in a dark room, with a pillow over my head. In this case, the pain is so severe that I can't lay still.

I have Imitrex and I took one along with some ibuprofen this morning when the auras began. A few hours later, I popped a couple of tylenol. And, it has helped. I can function now if I need to. The symptoms and pain are there but I am nowhere near needing to remain in bed with a pillow over my head, in the dark and silence. I did do that for the first few hours this morning, though. Migraine headaches suck!

Share your experiences, symptoms, and treatments. There is much to be learned about this condition that continues to incapacitate many who suffer from it.

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I have ocular migraines a few times a year. I had one today after I returned from my ride. First one in a few months.

I start getting "swimmy" vision, then I go blind in half of my field of vision in both eyes. That usually lasts about 20 minutes, then the vision clears and I lose my ability to come up with vocabulary for almost anything. That's a little frightening. I usually have some Sumatriptan to minimize the impact. From there I just get a dull headache that lasts the rest of the day. Not bad.

I have had about 6 full blown migraines in my life, but not since about 1989. That was horrible. I had to find absolute silence and complete darkness and it was still excruciating. I am very fortunate that I haven't had a full blown migraine in over 30 years.

I hope you recover quickly.

3. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I used to get them. Allergy related. Black room, no noise, screaming in a pillow. Nothing much worked for me, although they stopped after I gave up drinking milk.
    I get occasional neck out of whack ones now, but they aren’t the same level of hell.

4. Robbie

Robbie Guest

I get migraines with visual aura about 7-8 times a year. Unsure what the trigger is. Get visual shimmering, kaleidoscope effect for about 20-30 minutes, followed by 12 hour headache. Difficult to function during visual precursor, depth perception is gone, lucky one has not come on while driving. Once had one at work and couldn’t form words for about 5 minutes went to Dr after that episode and they did a scan to make sure no tumor or stroke. The slurred speech hasn’t happened again. I take eletriptan, Tylenol. They started when I was late 30s...not a huge impact because they are not too frequent. But unpredictable! They suck mass bad because your day is ruined when one hits. I’ve had them come on in the middle of rides on 2 occasions.

5. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I actually had one come on once on the drive home from a Cannell Trail ride. By the time I reached Mojave on the 14 freeway, I was partially blinded by the auras and my depth perception was shot. It was scary. The auras stopped when I got to Palmdale and then the waves of pain started to set in. The pain was easier to drive with than the impaired vision was.

Mikie, herzalot, Oaken and 2 others like this.
  6. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I had a full-blown one only once, thankfully. I don't know what triggered it, but it was bad. Finally vomited after a few hour. That seemed to release a lot of pressure somehow, and then I was able to sleep through the rest of it.

I tend to not get regular headaches very often, but as mentioned elsewhere, have found that a CBD/THC combo can often take the edge off, if not reduce it completely.

7. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    my wife said she has had a headache ever since she met me

Fueledbyex8, Stkx66, mike and 5 others like this.
  8. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    I’ve had those migraine auras before. Over time I’ve learned to control them with deep calming breaths while relaxing as much as possible..it really works for me. Mine were exercise induced usually.
    That’s scary stuff tho...hope you find a trick to lessen them

Fueledbyex8, Stkx66, Robbie and 3 others like this.
  9. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    This is craziness! Second migraine in a week!!!

But I am on a sport boat today, out fishing and I didn’t let it get me down.

Fueledbyex8, Cyclotourist and Stkx66 like this.
  10. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Bummer to hear, Mike. I hope you can suss out the cause. Enjoy the water...

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  11. Robbie

Robbie Guest

That's hella lame. I've had 2 happen only a week apart, but that only happened maybe a couple times in last 20+ years. Usually they come at 3-4 month intervals.

SnakeCharmer, Stkx66 and herzalot like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Yiikes - sorry to hear. Hope you can isolate and eliminate the trigger.

SnakeCharmer likes this.
  13. floyd

floyd Member

Name:
    garret
    Current Bike:
    Started getting them in high school. The visual aura thing, then it fades away into nausea and general unpleasantness. The next day I have a bad headache all day, so it really puts me out of commission for 48 hours.
    Tried imitrex but that just made me feel worse. I cut out caffeine completely and haven't had one in about 4 or 5 years. I just recently started drinking tea again and haven't had one yet. I'm hoping it was more due to coffee/soda.
    It always seems to start after looking at something bright.. The image gets burned into my eye and then that turns into the aura thing.
    Taking strong painkillers helps a TON. It will really suck if I get another one and I don't have painkillers.

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    For all you sufferers, please consider, if you haven't already. I know several people who have switched to CBD oil w/ superb results. Please do your own research and get educated.

https://www.axonrelief.com/cbd-oil-migraines/#could-cbd-help-me-with-my-migraines

Learn why CBD is important for our health and our Endocannabinoid System that WE ALL HAVE.

https://www.foriawellness.com/blogs/learn/your-endocannabinoid-system-cbd

I'm not trying to say this a cure all. Just that CBD oil could be a NATURAL alternative to the typical prescriptions.

I do not support or use either of the products offered from the sites linked above. I only provided the links for informational purposes. I do use CBD oil daily, but a different brand. If any of you decide to purchase CBD oil, please make sure you are buying a quality organic product.

swabo, Fueledbyex8 and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Yes, CBD has been applied in studies and it has shown to give relief to some but not all. What the industry needs is a cure all for this terrible condition.

16. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Maybe once or twice a year I experience the visual migraine, aka visual aura, I think. Starts without warning as a small spec of lightening colors that gradually gets larger until I can't see what's directly in front of me. But I still have my peripheral vision. Last for about 20 minutes then goes away out of my field of vision. No pain or headache whatsoever. Enjoy the light show.

17. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Oh boy, more auras coming on. :(

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?