Aliso-Wood and Laguna Coast Wilderness Parks

Discussion in 'Trail Advocacy' started by herzalot, Sep 4, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Just A LOT more of it!!!

2. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    There’s better riders here. That’s different.

mtnbikej likes this.
  3. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
  4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    This is not going to help anything:

https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/mountain-bikers-protest-trail-closure/

The mt bikers come across as entitled "thrill seekers" who don't give a damn about natural resources. The photo of them wheelying past City Hall is ridiculous and makes them look childish. The public sees this image the same as a group of moto riders doing wheelies asserting their rights to "ravage" the local hillsides.

IMO, the more light that is shed on the unauthorized trails, the more they will be actively decommissioned like PGs was. OC Parks and others will have no choice.

Faust29, SingleTrackJB, kdiff and 4 others like this.
  5. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I heard about that. What a bunch of idiots, especially since the city of Laguna Beach has zero jurisdiction in the OC Parks. However, the way I feel is, the more light that is shed on unauthorized trail riding, and the more it happens, the more likely bikes will be banned from the park. Because of their actions It is time for those trails to be actively decommissioned to ensure future legal bike access in the parks, because it’s been clear for years the poachers will not stop.

6. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Another airlift at totw today. Dunno if biker or hiker.

herzalot likes this.
  7. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    What time? The wife was walking El Moro this morning and didn’t hear it.

herzalot likes this.
  8. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    Serious entitlement issues.

Back in the day my dad picked up a lot of trash on District 37 desert clean-up days. 50 riders with garbage bags would say way more to the Laguna gentry than a rolling thunder traffic jam.

9. Chicane32

Chicane32 Member

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4
    Good read, about the importance of staying on marked trails. With self entitlement at an all time high today in America, it's no surprise that these immature spoiled children(even if adults) would protest in this manner over illegal MTB trails.

10. mohammadinabearsuit

mohammadinabearsuit Member

Name:
    Mo
    Current Bike:
    Coconino 650B SS
    I used to be a HUGE supporter of trail maintenance in the OC County stytem. Even put up with the fingerprint and BG check crap that it took to get "authorized".
    When OC Parks did the deal withthe IRC devil I decided thayt my time was better spent doing other things than supporting an organization that seemed dedicated to restricting trial access in OC.

Personally I think that the IRC deal that "preserved" county land was BS, but that is water under the bridge.

Nowdays, restricting trail access to docent led rides simply forces legit riders off trails that should be open off to other trails thereby increasing the pressure on those open trials.
    I hear anecdotal evidence of folks driving 100 miles to find trails not under pressure. "Traditional" trails are being closed. These pre-dated development and should be open!
    Thank god (assuming ther is one and that she gives a shht) that ebikes are prohibited on the OC trail system.With Coldwater, Holy Jim, East Horsethief, West Horsethief, Los Pinos and Trabuco Trails will be closed until September 2020 I cant wait until then...

I'm not sure what the solution is, but what we have aint it.

In the meantime, we need to erespect the current laws.
    If you arent happy, vote the bastards out!

Protest is interesting, but voting changes Sh!t!!

Mo.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

That side of the mountain may reopen in September....but don't expect those trails to be ridable. From what I have heard, trails won't be worked on until after the reopening. I suspect we'll get Main Divide back, but it's still gonna be a long time til we get the singletracks back.

herzalot, DangerDirtyD and pperrelle like this.
  12. SingleTrackJB

SingleTrackJB Well-Known Member

Name:
    SingleTrackRider
    Making the three IRC restricted access single tracks that drop off Serrano Ride open every Saturday instead of just once every month would a nice solution. That will ease off the pressure on the legal trail system on at least the busiest day of the week (btw what’s up with Wednesday night in El Moro, looks like everyone wants to ride then o_O)

Chicane32, Rumpled, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  13. mohammadinabearsuit

mohammadinabearsuit Member

Name:
    Mo
    Current Bike:
    Coconino 650B SS
    Hey, howz come I cant say Sh!t, but the president can can say Shithole country??

14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Here's an interesting article in this week's Laguna Beach Independent. Lopes and Rey schlepping for the industry with their pro-e-bike, anti OC Parks point of view. I agree with their assessment that OC Parks and others have no clue what they are doing regarding trail design and maintenance from a mt biker's perspective.

https://www.lagunabeachindy.com/theres-trouble-in-them-hills/

kdiff and DangerDirtyD like this.
  15. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    ok I'm not stalking or anything... disclaimer..

So my buddy and I are discussing whether to drop down T n A again. We had such a fun run but interrupted by 3 guys on the rock drop section... so we climbed Willow and were on top part of bommer on way to Old Emerald. ..discussin.. when a group pulled up..

Part of the group was a small little girl, seriously she could have been my daughter.. we overheard some talk about a different trail that we always wanted to try ... they said they were gonna drop it.... Stupid me, pointing to the little girl, "you're gonna drop it too?"
    (thank fully she did not throw a rock at my head)
    they were very nice and even offered advice and tow in...
    oh man it was fun trying to keep up with them, but of course they dropped me... I was close enough to one of them when he said now its gonna get steep...
    yeah it got steep, and once i put my put down, it was over... the last section I walked...
    the little girl, I never saw. she was way ahead in the lead... bad azzzzz

So this gave me hope for my own daughters.. I used to ride with them all the time but after they grew up, I could not force them... they went on the fullerton loop a couple times but when there are no friends that are into mountain biking, its not cool to go with your dad..

I hope more girls get into mtbkin... I hope I could ride with my girls again.. I hope one day, they too will know that feeling ....

G Haymond, herzalot, Redman and 4 others like this.
  16. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    oh.. got side tracked.. yeah she's is like the QOM of all the downhills in Laguna...

herzalot and DangerDirtyD like this.
  17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Was the father really tall like 6 ' 4" if so daughter is an Arse kicker

Good on them ... More power and trails to them ! Good for the sport!

18. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Sounds like y’all rode a particular unauthorized trail...

19. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    Looks like Lizards is going to be closed off and on for the next two weeks. Anyone have more info? Would be nice if the ride arounds on the chunky part were removed. It's like 10 yards wide on that last bottom section

Faust29, Cyclotourist, tick and 2 others like this.
  20. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I am anticipating the worst, based on their past work.

Faust29, herzalot, tick and 1 other person like this.
  21. kdiff

kdiff Member

Name:
    Kurtis
    Current Bike:
    Nomad4 & 26” 5010
    The work/project has been delayed. CCC had some things come up and need to reschedule.

Regarding the complaints about previous work, yeah, I get it and probably agree. That’s said, if you don’t like it, then get involved. So many people have the time to complain but won’t dedicate their time to actually fixing it. SMH

This is similar to ebikes. A lot of people are against them however very few are willing to invest the time into fighting them being included with actual bicycles. Instead they just go on forums and complain. Meanwhile ebike advocates are actually putting out real effort.

Faust29, Oaken, Old&InTheWay and 4 others like this.
  22. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I don’t think this initial comment was a complaint with the initial trail work. I believe folks have decided on their own to avoid the armored sections of trail. It would be good to find a way to keep folks on the armored corners.

I believe Obsidian’s comment is in order as well, but perhaps could be elaborated. If the trail crew applies the same design approach to Lizards as was taken on Camarillo, they could easily take much of the joy out of the trail.

Tell me when to show up re: ebikes, or trail design, or whatever. I’m still waiting on the report back from the last OC Parks meeting I was at pre-covid.

23. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Yes, I was referring to Camarillo and the reprofiling of the top of TNA (if that was them). The top of Camarillo in particular was mind boggling. I suppose it is better than the fire road was, but they could have just as easily built cambered corners instead of trying to send riders off the trail. There was also the time I rode Camarillo when they were building a p-line through a rocky part, just to make the line easier. They even asked me to test it out, LOL. I expressed my opinion about it then (and the fact that they were both on eBikes, which are apparently allowed for them :rolleyes:).

It would be nice if they did something productive on Lizard like smoothing the braking bumps on the downhill after the hike-a-bike though. :thumbsup: I think I also suggested that the last time someone posted about trail work on Lizard. :Roflmao

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I speak with the executive director of LCF frequently, asking, nay BEGGING to do trail work, but we are not allowed to assist or participate in any trail-work at this time. Y'know - COVID - so working outdoors 30 yards away from others must be dangerous.

It's no secret that whomever is authorized to do trailwork in Aliso, LCWP and Whiting has been instructed to build the opposite of what mt bikers enjoy. Awkward humps and outsloped turns are dominant in almost all of the trailwork in this area since 2017. The re-route at the top of T and A was very tame, but at least it has bermed turns. Meanwhile, the berms that @kioti and crew (myself included) installed in 2013 on Meadow are still holding up great, and drain very well. Same with the berms installed on The Luge in 2013.

@kioti for OC trail Czar please!

Faust29, no worries, RIGID and 9 others like this.
  25. 98muted

98muted Member

Name:
    Forest
    I can’t speak to any of the groups that do trail work in the area, but it is hard to find out how to contribute, obviously the past year is unique, but even before it didn’t seem like there was a very consistent ask for volunteers. I am more than willing to help out, and am actually looking to get more involved as I ride the area weekly.

Specifically to Lizards, I thought the way the trail was kept for mountain biking was actually impressive before COVID. And I only blame the new hoardes for what has happened to some areas. Two weeks of scheduled trail work sounds like quite a lot of work, so I really hope whatever they are doing keeps with the intent of the trail and doesn’t sanitize it for the new hiking crowd who will surely go back to their scheduled programming in the coming months. And if there is an opportunity to participate, please let me know.

26. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    No no work as far as I could tell on Lizard yet after all those signs.

Faust29, Cyclotourist, tick and 4 others like this.
  27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I just read this tidbit in the OC Register in an article about new laws in Laguna:

"...gates and cameras will be installed at trailheads in the Top of the World neighborhood, trail ambassadors from the Laguna Canyon Foundation will be added to those trails and more park rangers will be requested from the county to enforce trail behavior."

So a few questions come to mind. Will they now attempt to stop riders from riding Telonics? Good luck with that. Will they gate and camera the entrances to the off-menu trails that start near the elementary schools? If so - thanks for posting on STRAVA and YouTube you clueless hordes of social media whores.

And ten bucks says the "trail ambassadors" will be on e-bikes. :confused:

28. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    that was an interesting article. If the LCF sends out missionaries on ebikes, I’m pretty sure that we’re due for some Old Testament type judgement.

im very surprised that Laguna hasn’t done more residents-only parking in non-metered spots. I don’t know how to handle the city park lots for residents, but the street parking situation can be fixed with prices.

My parents’ neighborhood in Santa Ana gives each home two street parking stickers, and a short stack of day passes. Certain streets up here near Oaks/Peters have gone that way, with more to come-last weekend was insanity.

29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    New Signage...

PXL_20210412_211215287.jpg

Ohh seeing lots of Road Runners these days

PXL_20210412_201342741~2.jpg

Stkx66, HBkites, RIGID and 5 others like this.
  30. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    They need to update it and add "NO VAPING"