No More Mountain Biking For Me

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by deesalsa25, Jun 26, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Hello everyone,

It is with a heavy heart to announce that I will no longer be mountain biking. I have sold my bike and all my gear for a very solid price/deal based on the research I did. This was not an impulse decision - I thought about this for over a month. The reasons I am giving up this fantastic sport/hobby:

1. My new career/job is in a field I am extremely passionate about and has taken up most if not all of my free time. (Cat/Dog rescue)
    2. The free time I have I focus on volunteer work with local animal rescue groups which also involves a lot of time and energy.
    3. My lower back pain has gotten worse since I started riding and that has scared me a little. Not sure if it is directly tied to biking but it has become less painful when I don't ride as much.
    4. I truly LIKE and ENJOY mountain biking but I do not love it. I will go back to my basics of doing trail runs/jogs and light gym workouts (eventually lol).

I had to make a choice here and since I can't and won't be riding my bike at all, I sold it so someone can enjoy the great product Salsa Bikes produced. Everyone in this forum is awesome. I literally did not come across anyone I didn't like. @SnakeCharmer Thank you for showing me the ropes. @DangerDirtyD Thanks for showing me your side of the hood. Everyone else here, thank you for the support and for being very kind to a beginner mountain biker. I have no regrets in giving mountain biking a shot - it was fun, dangerous, and thrilling. This forum is a super friendly forum with lots of cool people - literally, so many of you are really cool! If I ever come across anyone here in person, I will definitely say hello!

Stay riding everyone!

2. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Can’t like....:(
    There is always room for bikes...

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 4 others like this.
  3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Sorry to see you go, but I understand. Only so much time in life and Mtb does take a good bit of it.

For the Lower back pain, try yoga. Seriously, stetches, child pose etc. Its a good addition to exercise and I'd bet it reduces or eliminates the lower pain.

When you decide you want to ride again, we're here. Enjoyed your input a lot.
    Cheers.

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Totally understood. It's not for everyone, and there are only 24 hours in a day. Even though you may not be riding, hang around. Hikes count in one o' these threads....

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 8 others like this.
  5. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Well sh!t I don’t even know what to say. I read that thinking there was gonna be some kind of April fools joke at the end but there wasn’t...:( I can’t exactly wrap my head around it but I really admire your reasons and the fact that you are shifting gears in to a new chapter of life. I don’t have the guts to accept change.

Cyclotourist, mike, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Bummer Dee, but I support your decision if it helps you get to where you want your life to go. Maybe I'll see you running out there one of these days. :cool::thumbsup:

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 2 others like this.
  7. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Sorry to hear, but I totally get it. Mountain biking is a lot of rigamarole, and if you're not super stoked on it then it's probably not worth the sacrifice of time and money. FWIW I dabbled in it a couple times in the past, and enjoyed it fine, but it just never got its claws in me. When I dipped my toe back in a couple years ago I slipped and fell right into the deep end, and it felt goooooood. Different circumstances may bring you back at some point down the road. I'm glad to hear you were able to get a nice price for your gear. Sounds like you're making the right call, all things considered.

Walleye, Danmtchl, Redman and 8 others like this.
  9. Dr. Wellington Yueh

Dr. Wellington Yueh Member

Name:
    Tom Kenney
    Also, this gang is eminently entertaining! :whistling:

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  10. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @buggravy Thank you. You are right, never know if I come back and get more into it. @Dr. Wellington Yueh Yes, the gang is definitely entertaining!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @deesalsa25 this bums me out, but that’s because I’m stoked when people love the sport I love. I totally understand though. Frankly, I’d probably be a better human if I quit riding and spent my time, money and efforts in something less selfish. Good for you and I wish you the best. Feel free to pop in here and keep us updated! Best wishes!

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 4 others like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    IMG_3594.jpeg

Cheers, and thanks for your commitment to the less fortunate animals.

Come back when things stabilize and you need a break from pounding the trail. I stopped riding for years because of low back. Full suspension got me back in. Suspension seat posts helped a lot.

Safe travels and best wishes!

13. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Sorry to hear. I've had recurring knee pain the last few years so I know what it's like to have something like that drag on you during rides. As others said yoga may help, as could strengthening core muscles and a proper bike fitting may not be a bad idea either. Of course those things all take time and/or money.

There's no wrong answer here if you've got something you love more than biking. For most of us here, biking is #1 or close to it. Hopefully you'll give it a try again some day.

14. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    If I ride too much my back hurts. It is an unnatural body position. Hiking and running fixes it. Nothing wrong with changing your priorities in life, especially for such a selfless and noble endeavor.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 5 others like this.
  15. Sasquatch9billion

Sasquatch9billion iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    trinidad j. mendez
    Good for you man. As a life long animal lover, vegetarian and career NPO exec., yours is a BIG decision.
    Best wishes as you transition into your new career!!!
    I hope we still see you posting on IMTB as a fellow trail lover.

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist, mike and 3 others like this.
  16. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    ^ Thank you all for the kind words. I think those kind of responses are what made me feel comfortable being honest on my post. This forum is full of high quality people.

Maybe in the future I’ll come back to bikes. I’m gonna be doing some trail running in the AM around my area for now. If anyone ever wants to adopt a dog or cat - please let me know!

17. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Can I get a picture of you without your shirt for the hotties thread before you officially retire?

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Usually when people leave there are harsh words and hurt feelings! This doesn't feel right.

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    LOL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :thumbsup::facepalm::thumbsup:

@deesalsa25, I will refer to you if I happen into someone in the vicinity looking for a new family member. Thanks again for working to place those cats and dogs. :)

20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Them there are fighting words......Does not compute.

Anyway, we are all different, all have different priorities. Do what makes ya happy.

Good luck.

mike, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Now is a great time to have kids.

mike, scan, Danmtchl and 3 others like this.
  22. Marty657

Marty657 Member

Name:
    Marty
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz TB2C
    Sorry to hear and I feel your pain. I basically had to quit recently because of a Parkinsons diagnosis so i get it. Still have my Tallboy but have not haven't been on it in over a year, just can't sell it. Hang in there and best of luck to you. Good on you for the rescue gig!

mike, scan, Danmtchl and 10 others like this.
  23. jimbowho

jimbowho Well-Known Member

Name:
    james jim jimmy
    Current Bike:
    GT sensor
    Soon as the guilt and butthurt wears off you'll be 100%. An interesting thread would be (((why I can't do this or that))). I can't jog anymore, don't care. Can't shoot straight, hitting cans is still fun. Can't unicycle, TMI. Snow skiing, knees. Racing Moto, 9-nagging ailments. I can still fish/mtn bk low key/Dual sport/shoot. I would like to learn how to flail at golf. In a couple weeks you'll be fine.

Definitely stick around this place, I like you can ask a question and "Blamo" somebody has the answer to just about anything. Then there's the never say never thing. You could get a nice Klunker and gravel and beach it up. Stick around.:thumbsup:

mike, Danmtchl, mtnbikej and 8 others like this.
  24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Whoa - that sucks. I hope there is medication to manage it that doesn't have its own awful side effects. Thoughts and prayers to you, Marty.

mike, scan, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  25. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
  26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    I know a guy who uses Ebike as medication for Parkinson’s.

mike, scan, Danmtchl and 4 others like this.
  27. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Photo? You know you’re hot. I told you too at Bonelli. You don’t have to include your face. Just your torso, and that part below your belly button that looks like the hood of a sports car.

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Haha. Shine on, you crazy diamond.

mike, Danmtchl, deesalsa25 and 3 others like this.
  29. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @deesalsa25 since you'll still be "running" trails this applies. Best of luck to you in whatever comes your way. I walked away from MTB in the same manner in 1998 for other reasons. You'll be back!;)

mike, Danmtchl, deesalsa25 and 4 others like this.
  30. da big hills

da big hills iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    cagey
    Current Bike:
    enduro 29
    two things:
    1the trails are going to be a little less crowded, but I never see anybody on them anyways so feel free to change your mind
    2 Roy and Dale are singing my song
    Happy Trails

mike, Danmtchl, deesalsa25 and 3 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?