Herzalot

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by Faust29, May 6, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Wow very sorry to hear of this. Been offline a while and I just saw this. I hope you are healing well. Take it easy!

2. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I can't tell how to look at those things but any chance the ribs are broken in the back vs front? If so, they seem to hurt a lot less for some reason in my experience. I fractured (4) back ribs only (8) days before a trip to Fruita in 2013 and still went and was able to ride at about 80%. Compare that to just bruised front ribs on more than one occasion and it hurt to breathe, cough, sneeze or get in or out of bed. Terrible for a side sleeper!!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Must be the difference. Like I said, there is not much of the usual rib pain, yet there they are in black and white. All of my other rib bruise experiences must have been front, cus this ain't nothin compared to the others I've had. :thumbsup:

4. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Bump.
    How are you feeling Herz? Give us an update.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Why thanks for asking. I just got done working on my bike. Therapeutic! :thumbsup:

It's been three weeks and I'm doing great. Getting mobility back in my arm and shoulder, but not testing it in any way since I haven't started PT yet. The c-bone repair job hurts in a superficial way. Like constantly being stapled in the neck. Irritating, but not debilitating. I am hoping that will clear up. No other problems. The ribs are a non issue for the most part. Still not sure where the scapula break is or how it impacts my recovery. I start PT next week. I'm already waaaaaay ahead of where I was when I dislocated my other shoulder 6 years ago. :cool:

Thanks again!

Mikie, Stkx66, OTHRider and 16 others like this.
  6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Sounds like things are progressing nicely. Great news! Sorry if you posted this before, but what's your ETA for being back on the bike? That questions popped into my head when DDD posted about the Cheese social ride

7. -ROCKY-

-ROCKY- Well-Known Member

Name:
    Rocky
    Whoa! Just caught this. Glad you're alright @herzalot ! You're reminding me how dangerous this could be!!! :gag:

Mikie, Faust29, mike and 3 others like this.
  8. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Conservatively - 4th of July. Thanks for thinking of me, but don't wait on my account. Who knows where my head will be at even if my body is cooperative.

9. CBone

CBone iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Tucker
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Cool. Thanks for the good news update.

10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Returned to the scene of the crime today to see if I could figure out what happened. As I suspected, I exited the rock garden with a lot of speed, slightly right of where I normally ride. In the shade, you can zoom in to see a nasty little vertical wall that I must have hit, which kicked my bike left and dropped me on my right shoulder. I contend that such terrain is par for the course and shouldn't have resulted in any crash at all. The 1000 times I've ridden that trail prior, surely I have been over there and not been influenced by the terrain one bit. Grrrrr.... :mad:

Rock It Run Out.JPG

Close up:

Rock It Hidden Ledge 2.jpg

11. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Thanks for posting this. It's an interesting mental exercise going back and doing forensics. I can see how that spot could lull you into a careless error and then bite you hard.

12. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    MTB version of the"Cosmic Shooting Gallery"... or as I like to say life is a series of statistical events dice just came up wrong that day.

Might have just knock that front tire out wide enough then instead of grabbing it went out.

13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    This photo is a little misleading because that end of the rock garden is actually a step down that is bigger than it looks. I could see how you could drop down and not see that shadowed section on the side of the trail - all the time looking forward down the trail and not seeing what is about to bite you on the flank.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, Stkx66 and 6 others like this.
  14. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yeah - actually, I think it was the back. The derailleur is scratched, the d hanger was bent and there is a scuff on the right side of the rear rim. Although, maybe that's just the result and both wheels went out.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, rossage and 5 others like this.
  15. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    So, the terrain is to blame for all of this?

Bad terrain! How dare you! You go directly to your room and don't come out until we say you can. And no rain for you for 2 months!!!

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Oh shaddddup. Would you prefer I blame the tires? The carbon wheels? The bike? I am not "blaming" anything or anyone but myself, but I am trying to understand what happened. I made a mistake, but what was the nature of the mistake? A person doesn't just fall.

Always the instigator.

17. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    It interesting when you look at the line there it looks more lined up to that ledge then I seem to remember in real time. Perhaps you're carrying more speed than usual meaning you came off at farther or longer which directed your encounter with that ledge..

Oh and thanks I will be thinking about that spot again on my next run... I certainly was the first time after reading about your dismount ;)

18. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    TFPU. Seems like a plausible assessment of cause.

"...such terrain is par for the course and shouldn't have resulted in any crash at all."

This I don't agree with. Depending on several factors, an inline rut like that could kick a bike out from under a competent rider. Especially hidden the shadow as it is. If you hit a softball-sized rock just right it could do the same thing.

Complacency may not be the cause you're looking for, but I'm suggesting it was largely responsible. It happens in every sport – so dialed and competent on the regular circuit that thinking and caution are nearly absent. The examples of this are too many to ignore. It kills athletes. I've been badly hurt by it, and have had a few other close calls. I don't mean it as an indictment; it's human nature.

OTHRider, Mikie, rossage and 8 others like this.
  19. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Multiple rehabilitation socials down the pipeline!

20. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    As I hit that last part of the rock garden, I concentrate on staying straight and balanced. Solid grip but not tight, elbows out, chest down, eyes up. I know that at that speed any bike malfunction could be really serious. Not go-over-the-cliff-on-Strawberry serious, but hard impact serious. I think @mike and @BonsaiNut are right, got past the section, looking ahead for next move and "BAM."

Fun with Annotation. Black line - path of travel. Brown line - little ledge, yellow arrow - unseen vertical ridge

Rock It Run Out.JPG

21. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I bring light to the dark.

Mikie, mountaingirl sara and herzalot like this.
  22. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    In all honesty lately when I am riding with a little more style than speed I like to hit / un-weight on that last ledge and clear it back to center trail.... There is another medium multi-ledge a little further down I try to do the same but it is lead / land ready for the righty

23. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Herz, in all seriousness, I have to ask why that line (black arrow) shoots you directly into that left bank? That line (channel) was built for speed. It's like a suicide run.

24. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I drew the arrow representing what was most likely my vector on that fateful Cinco de Mayo run. Ordinarily that well-worn path puts you just left of the shadow.

25. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It could be an optical illusion. I see a small bump to drop before you reach that left bank. I guess you do a lean drop to avoid the bank?

Mikie, herzalot and hill^billy like this.
  26. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Did yya I hike or ride your bike to the scene of the crime?

27. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Surprised it took this long for someone to wonder about that!

Hiked. :(

Surprisingly few bikes out there between 1:30 and 3:30 this afternoon. 74° and sunny, with slight ocean breeze.

Mikie, UPSed, mtnbikej and 5 others like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Visualize the head of the black arrow about 10° left of where I drew it. Everything cleans up nicely.

Mikie, DangerDirtyD, mtnbikej and 3 others like this.
  29. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Ooohhhhh crap just realized Cinco de Mayo....

My broken wrist on Rattlesnake.... On Cinco de Mayo

(Not comparing seriousness in any way)

More the statistics... Like The birthday problem.

I rode all the back to the car at ridge park.. did a number on the broken bone.. doc said I ground the interface to dust... Thus the screw.

OTHRider, Mikie, herzalot and 3 others like this.
  30. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Nothing wrong with a hike ;) Glad you got out there Herzy!

Mikie, herzalot, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?