Ninja camps/clinics

Discussion in 'Skillz' started by buggravy, Jun 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Anyone here ever done one of the Ninja camps or clinics? My wife and I are thinking of giving ourselves some mtb instruction as combined anniversary/birthday gifts for ourselves. She'd do some small group coaching through a new riding group she joined, and I was looking at the 2-day ninja camp. Sounds kind of perfect, and I've read good things, but curious if anyone here has real world experience.

Dirtrider...., mike, herzalot and 4 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I have no experience with taking clinics...:but the one thing I can recommend is if your wife is gonna take a class/clinic, make sure it is taught by women. They seem to feel less pressure than when being instructed by men.

On the other hand....if you try to teach your wife how to ride..::most likely doesn’t work. I could Give advice, show, describe, break down a feature for my wife...she wouldn’t listen. A friend would give the same advice almost word for word, and she got it. Just be prepared.

Luis, scan, Dirtrider.... and 8 others like this.
  3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I hear you loud and clear on that. The clinic for her is a women's clinic, as is the ride group that she joined.

herzalot, Cyclotourist, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  4. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    I have thought about those clinics as well. I don't fly well and would really like to learn how to jump better. I turn into what they call a dead sailor. I don't even like the sound of that!
    Lemme know and maybe we could hit some clinics together! :thumbsup:

5. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
  6. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Damn! Those bastages!
    Okay... I'm out! :p

Cyclotourist likes this.
  7. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I was really interested as well.

Non dot also had some for s better cost. I believe they hold them at irvine and oaks..

Dirtrider...., Mikie and buggravy like this.
  8. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    We happened to be up in Sedona one year while they were while the Ladies All Ride camp was going on. We talked to a lot of them out on the trails and they all had nothing but positive comments to say about the experience. There were women out there of all abilities and sizes so very inclusive. https://www.ladiesallride.com/sedona-az.html GGR also must do a great job as well though because I've ridden with some women on the Mt Wilson Enduro day that RIP. One of them was named Jackie Reseigne who worked for Jenson at the time. She was in her 40's and had just started riding less than 18 month before I met her and she was an amazing rider for the amount of time she had been on a bike. There was another girl there who had previously been a pro enduro rider. I never saw her all day. I remember googling her when we got home and she had bee a two time CA series champion in the past.

Anyway, if Jackie herself can't help, I'm absolutely sure she can point you in the right direction.

9. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    I'd consider these guys (https://betterride.net/) over Ninja. No reason at all, just get better vibes from Betterride. I've researched both heavily about a year ago and felt I would benefit more from Betterride. I did not sign up, got skuurd.

10. Mikie

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Friends with Jackie on STRAVA. That girl is awesome and has a great attitude!

Dirtrider...., buggravy and mtbMike like this.
  11. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    She EXUDES positivity, not unlike you an I :D, and represents everything that is right in the MTB scene. She races, rides as much as possible, is obviously involved in GGR to promote more girls/ladies/women out there riding. @Mikie You need to get her on here as she'd probably grab along a lot more of that demographic.....

Mikie and buggravy like this.
  12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Looks like I'm going to do the 2-day camp in OC on 7/18 - 19. Would be rad to see a familiar face there! Hard to imagine us both getting max benefit from the same clinic, but it does sound like it caters to a fairly wide spectrum of skills.

Good to hear positive feedback about GGR. My wife has gotten a really good vibe so far, and the president of the LA chapter is taking her and another newbie on a ride in Sycamore Canyon this weekend.

Luis, herzalot and Mikie like this.
  13. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    She works at (manages?) Skypark as well. She'll show you what's up!

https://www.instagram.com/jackiereseigne/

scan, Obsidian, Mikie and 1 other person like this.
  14. NinjaDon

NinjaDon Member

Name:
    Don
    Current Bike:
    2018 Honzo

I did a Betterride clinic a few years back. Best “upgrade” I’ve ever done. My instructor Andy started his own skills clinic, https://www.dirtsmartmtb.com/
    & I highly recommend him. He does 1-on-1 coaching & can set up personalized clinics if you guys want to work on specific skills. Hit him up!

15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sounds like a good MO for fun and safety, Matt. Your lass seems fully psyched, so congrats on the family affair! :thumbsup:

There must be a better way than “follow me, go light on the front brake and stay back when it gets steep.” :whistling::geek:

16. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Just throwing this out there in case anyone is looking to do one of these with a familiar IMTB face. Some miscommunication of delegated tasks meant that I missed out on the July/Irvine camp, but I'll be at the San Diego 2 day camp the weekend of 8/22.

mike likes this.
  17. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I’ve been sneaking around like a Ninja all my life.

Luis, mike, skyungjae and 1 other person like this.
  18. skyungjae

skyungjae Member

Name:
    Kyung Jae
    Current Bike:
    2015 Santa Cruz Bronson C
    What a deceiving thread. Not what I expected at all.

Luis, herzalot, mike and 1 other person like this.
  19. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I've been thinking about the Ninja clinics for some time. But have never pulled the trigger, and god knows I could use the skillz class!

Now you have me looking at it more seriously....and I wonder how many more years I have in me to mtb...

20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    That last sentence... Ride out your MTB career on the cheap? Bad value! A young fuk talking like that?? Preposterous! Skills will extend your career.

While you’re calculating, include your bike cost per year, day or ride. :cool:

herzalot, mtnbikej and Redman like this.
  21. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Interesting, wasn't thinking of cost, just getting older. Was wondering at what age it'll taper off. 64? 68? 79? So maybe 5 to 20 years more riding. I must say though, I feel young. Inside and out, but can't remember Sh!t......now where did I put my bike??

So the point was exactly what you said "skillz will extend your mtb career".

22. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    They have jump clinics at Skypark too, seems like that one would be fun!

herzalot, mike and Obsidian like this.
  23. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Also get 40% off with code RADDAD right now.
    I may sign up for the Sept Skypark mini jump clinic..maybe

herzalot, mtnbikej, mike and 2 others like this.
  24. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I keep saying to myself that this year will be my last year (riding mountain bikes) and then on NYD every year, I pick up my helmet and climb about my trusted steed once again...

This has been happening every year since 1998.

25. Dismay

Dismay Member

Name:
    Michael
    Current Bike:
    Cannondale Jekyll 2
    I did a 2-day skills camp at Irvine last May. Great staff, super knowledgeable, and helped ID some bad habits I’ve been riding with for years. Almost instant improvement.

Definitely recommend!

26. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    For a nominal fee (depending on your income), you can hire Kevin Aiello to follow you through Aliso/Wood Cyns and LCWP and give you pointers during and after the ride. He might be on an E-bike, but everyone is entitled to make a living right? We gotta open up. We gotta be warriors.
    https://www.dropbox.com/s/oeze5a64ifm65c5/BobbyH5420.mp4?dl=0

mike likes this.
  27. mountaingirl sara

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Hmmm, might just look him up.
    Thanks DDD

DangerDirtyD likes this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    @Danimal - didn't you do a clinic with Julius Syvanen about a decade ago? I did two with him. That's what got me into DH. I also did a few clinics at Whistler, but didn't get a whole lot out of it because the group had even less skill than I did.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  29. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Pro tip: if you put a clinic in your cart, and then try click off the page, you'll get a pop up saying join the mailing list and get a code for 50% off good for 48 hours.

30. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    My wife asked if I could change the entry on my calendar from Ninja Camp to Bike Camp, so she'd recognize what it is. I respectfully declined.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?