Giro Shoes Suck.....And Customer Service Isn't Any Better

Discussion in 'Shoes' started by mtnbikej, Mar 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Yes, I'm going to vent here today.

So I bought a pair of Giro Privateer R shoes back at Halloween to replace a worn out pair of Giro Code VR70.

Bought the Privateer because they were the affordable($100) version of the Code's that were no longer made.

Based on the Code VR70, the 44.5 fit like a glove....so that is what I ordered. Sure enough they fit.

IMG_6162.jpg

Well since day 1 the nylon/plastic soles creaked on the new shoes. To the point I thought maybe my pedals were shot, but it was doing it on both bikes.

About a month ago one of the toe spike ripped out of the sole, leaving a huge hole....it pulled the threaded insert out of the shoe.

Last week at True Grit this happened:

IMG_6164.JPG IMG_6163.jpg

In one ride the other toe spike ripped the sole of the shoe and the seam of the upper on the other shoe split open. :mad:

No problem I thought, last time I had a warranty issue with my Codes, they replaced them without issue. Last Monday sent in a warranty claim.

Within an hour they responded. Things went downhill from here. Now I buy mtn shoes with buckles on them because i like the micro adjustment and secure closure. One of the reasons I bought these shoes.

Giro rep says: "we don't make that shoe anymore". What size and color do you want?
    My reply: "44.5 black....of which shoe?

Giro reps says: "we will send you the Carbide shoe in black, but it doesn't come in 1/2 sizes so 44 or 45"
    giro-carbide-rii-dirt-shoe-black-charcoal-profile.jpg

My response: "that shoes has no buckle closure and is a downgrade from what I purchased".

Giro: "we discontinued the buckle closures. You have a $100 shoe, this is a $100 shoe".

Me: " so you downgraded me on the features I purchased the shoe for, plus you are forcing me into a size that is too big or too small. I would not have purchased the shoe you are trying to send me.

Up to this point they had been very prompt with responses....usually within 15 mins or so. They went silent for about 2-3 hrs.

Giro: " good news, my manager says I can send you the new model up. 44 or 45? They will be there in 7-10 business days"

Me: "send me the 45 as i know the 44 is too small."

At least the upgraded shoe has the BOA closure system.

So Sunday Fedex drops off my box with new shoes. Awesome....until I open the box to find Road Shoes. :bang: WTF? Try them on as they are the same shell as the mtn version...my heel slips in the shoe. Too big. :thumbsdown:

Send them a WTF email that I received road shoes as warranty replacement for mtn shoes. That the size wasn't going to work, that I needed a 44.5

Basically was told too bad so sad. We are going to send you a 44 or 45 even though the shoe above that is available in 1/2 sizes.

Needless to say, I already put an order in for a new pair of Shimano's....they will be here on Weds.:thumbsup:

I will be putting the new shoes up for sale for cheap. I'm done with Giro.

Whatever happened to the customer is always right?

Venting over.

2. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The first problem I see is that those shoes work on clipless pedals. :eek::D

Tom the Bomb and Danmtchl like this.
  3. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    A company that won't give you a replacement in the correct size, because half sizes now belong to a "higher" tier shoe? No thanks... Screw that.

I always go back to the Santa Cruz response when I broke the Highball, and it was no longer made in aluminum... "What color upgraded carbon frame would you like?"

4. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I was surprised to read that they actually replied! Then was expecting to say that shoes were too used/old/etc. So that part was good, I guess.

FWIW, I've had real good experience with Lake shoes customer service.

Your and @mtnbikej positive experiences with SC are the main reason I went with their Chameleon when I was looking for a new bike. Good CS and warranty would seem to pay for itself!

5. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I've broken two... And they have replaced both- one with an upgrade in material, as you know. :cry: :p

I'll rank Giro with Salsa. They agreed that the frame was under warranty, but they wanted me to shell out another $700 to get into a frame that was nothing like the one I broke. :confused:

I'll stick to Pearl Izumi (Funny spelling of Shimano...) for shoes... They seem to hold up well for me. :thumbsup:

6. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    Been a fan of Shimano shoes for a long time. When I called in to order a new pair, they didn't have a 45.5 in the model I wanted. The rep recommended the Pearl Izumi Elevate Alp as an alternative. Went with it and they're some good shoes.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Fortunately, they were still new and clean enough. I hadn't put these ones through hell yet.

8. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    Haha.. I agree.. I bought some.. wore them to see if it fits ok..too big.. so tried to return..they said no thx bc I kept them too long..

9. ejhorn

ejhorn Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Evan
    Current Bike:
    Yeti ASR5c
    Mtnbikej, this cracks me up as it looks liek we are in very similar situations. I'm on my 2nd pair of Giro Codes (also size 44.5!) and while the durability wasn't ideal, they fit so well that I was planning on getting another pair only to find they are now discontinued. Was thinking about the Privateers but looks like those are out based on your experience. Don't understand why Giro went to laces for their high end shoes. Would love to know what you end up with since it seems we have similar feet.

Danimal, Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    It's not laces, it's:
    Laterally Adjustable Closure and Entry System

(copyrighted)

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

They are sending me the Cylinder.

I bought these Shimano ME501:
    s1600_Shimano_SH_ME5.jpg

12. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Schnazzy! :cool:

Cyclotourist likes this.
  13. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    double post

14. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    My 2014 Sram shoes with laces are finally beat to death. Gotta wonder how long the BOA system will last, other than that the ME501 look legit! Under 400 grams too weight weenie.:thumbsup:

Laces out Dan, laces out!

15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I hear the BOA closure has a solid warranty and replacement parts are easily available.

16. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    @mtnbikej I always thought you were a SIDI guy??

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    The BOA replacement is as simple as going on their website and choosing your brand of shoe and type of BOA. I think it takes a couple of days to receive them. That being said mine have lasted over a year and still work fine. I have found though that mine loosen a bit initially but stay snug as soon as they're readjusted.

18. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I was for a lot of years. Somewhere around 2012 they changed....the quality dropped, the price went up, the fit changed. I jumped ship about 4 years ago.

19. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    Sorry to hear that. I have the Carbides and like them a lot. I’m not a fan of buckles.

20. singlespeedrider

singlespeedrider Well-Known Member

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC advanced single soee
    I have been a giro shoe guy for about 10 years but the last pair of codes really have not held up for what I expected from a $300 shoe. I was actually looking at these shimanos. How are you liking them? I think they might be better with all the rocks out here.

DangerDirtyD and mtnbikej like this.
  21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    The ones I got were too big...sent them back. They didn't have my size so i opted to go another direction.

The 2 rides I did with them, they were comfy.....but just be prepared, coming from carbon soles...these flex, alot.

22. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    You’re almost scaring me away from them. I have been on really stiff shoes for years.

I have been also looking at the specialized 2fo shoe. Can’t seem to find them to try them out.

mtnbikej likes this.
  23. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    I have 2FOs good / solid shoe. I like spesh shoes, think in general they are well thought out and fit me well . 2FOs are that.. comfy decent stiction, seem pretty well Constructed... BUT I would not say they are the stiffest soles.. they are medium stiff which means they could conform to the pedal which some like... For me they are fine for shorter rides but for me I would not use on SS.. I like very stiff soles for SS. I ride clipped on the SS so are you talking 2FO Clipped maybe they are stiffer they speak of

Stiff Lollipop™ inner plate for high performance pedaling sits in a bed of EVA to soften landings and maintain off-bike traction

Who knows...

Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  24. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    I am talking about the clipped version.

Maybe this weekend I drive around and check out some of the local bike shops and see if any of them carry either of these shoes.

bvader and mtnbikej like this.
  25. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    If you want to just shop and are in OC... go to / call the Specialized Concept Store in Newport/Costa Mesa. Even if they don't have your size you take a look at the shoe and judge the construction.

Yeah the clipped version should have a stiffer sole. In general Spesh Clipped shoes are definitely stiff soled... why I like em.

https://www.specializedcostamesa.com/about-us/

I said stiff....

Cyclotourist, rossage and Danimal like this.
  26. singlespeedrider

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    You did say stiff

I moved away from Orange County 11 months ago.

bvader likes this.
  27. EvaUnitOne

EvaUnitOne Newbie

Name:
    Wendy Miller
    Current Bike:
    Yamaha 2000
    One of the reasons I don't risk buying other brands is this. The quality is pretty bad. I always choose Nike because I trust them. I have had one pair of Nike cycling shoes for more than three years. They are gorgeous first of all, and I can't describe how comfortable they are. I buy from them when I see good discounts on their products. For instance, the last time I bought a black pair of air jordan 1 sneakers, the deal was a 38 % discount. I took advantage of this and purchased the second pair for my brother.

28. JordanHMay

JordanHMay Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jordan May
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon
    That’s just sad on them. Get some Specialized Recon shoes. I stick with the 1.0 lower model because I cannot stand BOA closures. They always come loose and brake on me. Velcro suits me just fine. The most comfortable mtb shoe I’ve owned. I have a second pair I use for gravel/road.

Cyclotourist likes this.
  29. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My spidey senses are tingling.

Two IPs... Dublin and Georgia. Hmmm....

30. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    There's a whole lot more wrong than just that.

Faust29, herzalot and Old&InTheWay like this.