Collarbone Club.....Survey

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by mtnbikej, May 11, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

?

Broken Collarbone while riding?

1. Yes

33.3%
  2. Yup.....more than once

14.3%
  3. Nope....not yet

52.4%
  1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Exactly what we need.

Also, we should bring back the stocks.

2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I care enough to leave you all with a dirty picture.....

32BF70CD-C01C-4F91-B2BA-C38754745EFE.png

bvader, trmn8er, Faust29 and 11 others like this.
  3. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    2006: right clavicle & scapula. Dodging hikers at the top of Big Red in Peters Canyon

Yesterday: left clavicle. random rut at Oaks

both times: wife took one look at me and asked if we needed to go the hospital.

trmn8er, Luis, Poofighter and 16 others like this.
  4. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    I have not, but I did break my brother’s. I was on the side of the FR waiting for him to catch up. He came up quick and wanted to buzz me. At that moment I moved and clipped his bars. I yelled “roll, roll!”, but it was too late...

5. Ocpop

Ocpop Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul K
    Current Bike:
    Pivot trail
    I recounted my crash here a month ago but here it is again: Coming in a bit too hot at the bottom of the hill before the flag at the Luge and slipped on some wet rocks. I mostly blame Strava (I’m completely faultless). I usually ride well within my limits on downhills but on the day of the crash, I felt really strong and was climbing like a beast. In my mind I was setting all sorts of PRs. So when I started on that fateful downhill I figure what the hell, I’ll set some downhill PRs too. I may delete that f-ing app from my phone.

Mikie, trmn8er, Faust29 and 12 others like this.
  6. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    You don’t have to go after PRs and trophies every ride...just try to be No. 1 for the day and top 5 for the year each ride. Same goes for being a professional, teaching your children, listening to your spouse, making dinner, wiping your ass, and having sex. Why half-fast any of it?

Mikie, Walleye, Faust29 and 7 others like this.
  7. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    Hope you feel better after you let all that out!:Roflmao

8. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7
    I broke my collarbone playing soccer in PE on junior high. My opponent thought we were playing football and laid me out with a perfect form tackle and broke it.

The topper was I had to walk down 3 flights of short steep steps to the nurses office to call my parents.

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  9. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    Not checking a box that says "not yet".

A friend did break his collarbone in the Fullerton Loop parking lot. He rolled the drop into the lot and went OTB on the asphalt. Didn't even start the ride yet.:facepalm:

Danmtchl, Mikie, konakc and 9 others like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    D81EFDE7-C6BB-47C3-9CD2-8D00839A0A56.jpeg This might be useful for your clients too.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Uphill language? I thought you were only fluent in downhill?

Danmtchl, Mikie, Ocpop and 5 others like this.
  12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Interesting debate developing - live like a hero who has to be the best at everything all the time, or live within rational limits and be content that we get to participate in our sport.

Enjoy fighting it out. I am going to go take an extreme dump. I will post the statistics when finished. Striving for a KOM!

13. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    :Roflmao

I guess we know which side of the line you stand on.

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  14. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    med-lus...
    I was once hiking up to mt Whitney w/ a group ... one of them happen to be a 250lb muscle builder dude w/ a smoking problem... we were all in our 20's.. started at 4am... good times.. then about 2/3 way we hit the 99 switchbacks... he just could not breath.. every switch back.. he had to rest... but did he quit? Heck yes.. he quit every 10 yards.. then looked at me like how much longer? I slapped the cigrette out of his mouth (ok that didn't happen)
    we finally made it to the ridge.. (i even have a picture w/ my leg wrapped in a white bandage ..
    people asking oh, did you fall? no no, that was from yesterday on my mtbk)

med lus..

during the hike down.. we ran out of water... fellow hikers boiled hot water and made us the best hot chocolate in the world.. strangers...
    we also ran out of food... shared the last bit of fried chicken from a plastic bag... have you ever eaten the bones of a chicken?
    about 11pm... one of us found 4 pieces of starburst left in his pack... shared one each..
    whoops... i even forgot to unwrap it... still tasted good...

we made it down by midnight .. 20 hour hike...

med-lus... sometimes med-lus makes us ... miss out...

Danmtchl, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  15. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I have zero clue what med-lus or med lus is, but it sound like I better find out. I can relate to everything else in that non bicycle/clavicle-related tale. 11 miles in 20 hours...sounds pretty brutal. While chaperoning a nicotined-out meathead sounds considerably worse.

16. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Hahaha! That was good. I still give about 70-80 percent when climbing, and up it to 95-100 if it's in the middle of a DH segment.

17. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    That's really good insight. Keep in mind, if you get only one dump a month to really make it count.

Mikie, Cyclotourist, herzalot and 6 others like this.
  18. konakc

konakc iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    kc
    mike.. haha .. c DDD's definition of mediocrity.... I loved that meathead... he finished the hike.. never complained...
    mt whitney hike is not too bad.. unless you smoke .... no crampons just walking...

19. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    After getting pumped with opiates for days, it certrainly could be extreme(ly dialating). :(

Ah, thanks. The guy rallied, good for you all. I hope to check out the hiking trail this year.

20. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    In a weird kind of way, this thread makes me feel better. I’ve had an odd amount of crashes this year (3) and clearly were all addicted to riding and accept injuries as part of what we do. I’m tired of bleeding more than normal. I blame Strava and my own shitty riding.

Mikie, Faust29, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  21. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Any time you blame Strava, you're really blaming yourself.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  22. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
  23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    STRAVA is a catalyst and enabler of our baser instincts. We have to struggle to overcome those instincts more when we use STRAVA than when we don't. Ask me how I know.

Alcohol doesn't create the alcoholic. Assault weapons don't create the mass shooting. But they are enablers that make self control more challenging for some.

24. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    You know the bottle ain't to blame and I ain't trying to
    It don't make you do a thing it just lets you
    -DBT

25. Cornholio

Cornholio iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    B
    Current Bike:
    Huffy
    I broke my clavicle playing ice hockey. Actually some big dude from the pee-wee West Valley Wolves broke it smashing me into the corner boards.

26. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    It was tongue in cheek when I blamed Strava and my shitty riding. But I think some of us can relate that as competitive as many of us are, we use tools like Strava to push ourselves and find some limits of our ability. Bottom like is we are each responsible for our own actions on and off the bike ✌️

27. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I'm just tweaking you a little bit because I understood your point. I don't really compete against others much, but I definitely compete against myself. I am always playing games with myself to keep me motivated on those days that I don't feel like working out.

Mountain biking is one activity where I'm not sure getting from point A to point B as quickly as possible is the best objective.

I actually had a dude ride by a group of us at a trailhead on Thursday, and when we looked up from our chat and said "hi!" he rode by us yelling "Strava!". To me that is the same thing as yelling "dick coming through!" I've heard of it happening to other people, but never thought I'd see it here in North Carolina on some pump trails. Cringe-worthy. Dude! Lose the mullet!

tick, Mikie, Walleye and 6 others like this.
  28. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Yelling Strava wow yeah that cracks me up. I can’t imagine someone actually doing that.

Mikie, BonsaiNut and Cyclotourist like this.
  29. CharlieCafe

CharlieCafe Member

Name:
    Charles
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB130 LR
    Broke mine around 98 at Turnbull. Sucked having to ride out one handed and of course had forgotten my wallet at home with my ID and med insurance card. Buddy drove me home all the way back to Anaheim and as I’m grabbing my wallet and leaving again my wife at the time says “oh you’re back early, where are you going now?” Me: “Meet me at Kaiser”

Cracked and flattened the left side of my helmet on that crash too, so I never ride without a helmet now period. Not even for a quick spin around the block.

doublewide, Voodoo Tom, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  30. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Hillyer is extra sandy right now! That fast descent to Horse Flats has spots that are 6 inches deep. :eek:

First time I’ve seen it like that up there…

And I don’t like this thread. I’m going back to ignoring it. Y’all are trying to jinx us. :cautious:

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?