Rad-ish hardtails

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mike, Jan 19, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    It appears to be a fine, quality product. :thumbsup:

The build is a mix of new parts and repurposed. Just like with the Smash, I'm easing into it. If it goes well, the wheels and fork will be upgraded and then it'll be done. Aside from a strapless frame bag that uses the bolt-ons.

2. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Yes, most definitely an answer! I'm glad to hear that after a couple questions they seem to just jump on it.

3. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    rossage, Cyclotourist, mike and 3 others like this.
  4. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    That's awesome! I like their slider design and the polished ti looks killer. Nice welds too. Can't wait to see it put together.:thumbsup:

mike, mtnbikej, SnakeCharmer and 2 others like this.
  5. Dirtrider....

Dirtrider.... Well-Known Member

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley V4
    that is one sexy frame!!! good thing i bought wheels... a new bike will have to wait... for now!! lol

cant wait to see this built up.

Cyclotourist, mike, mtnbikej and 2 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not really what I was after, but looks really good. Imported ti, 29+. Great to see some MTB life coming from Turner.

Screen Shot 2020-04-15 at   11.14 AM.png

dt wrote:

Frame is imported. double butted top tube, down tube and head tube. Chainstays are single butted and tapered. 29x2.5", Boost spacing. BB is T47, 73mm wide. Flat mount 160, as started by Noble Bikes. Geo with a 130 fork: 74SA, 66.8HTA, 415 CS, 12mm drops, 620ETT on medium, the head tube is a very common 44x56 . This is not supposed to be an 'enduro HT', there are plenty of those to choose from. This is my take on 'PB Mikes' down country XC bike. I live in suburban hell, with nothing but tiny pockets of dirt between large expanses of pavement. A gravel bike is my go to for most of my solo rides. But occasionally I will find myself way outside my comfort zone on a gravel bike, and although the Cyclosys makes it thru with brakes smoking and careful line choices, a down country style hardtail would allow for greater speed and more fun. Then back on pavement, lock the fork and toil on. I did not give much thought to 27.5 on this frame and I'll tell ya why. The primary advantage to using a 27.5 on the rear is to shorten the CS. Well at 415, this is plenty freakin short and I have the advantage of a 29" for rolling over Sh!t. Going to a 275 the only way to get the roll over of a 29r back is to use a 275x2.8 or 3.0, and in a decent casing thickness, these are freakin HEAVY. I want a step between a full suspension mountain bike like my Czar or Flux and a gravel bike, not replace my Burner or Sultan. My plan for this is a fast feeling bike. Fast locked out on pavement and smooth dirt roads, and fast 'feeling' on the descents. I am well aware that full suspension bike can be faster on rough descents, but with a sub 12" BB and kinda slack HA this will give a lot of confidence.

7. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

No SS option. :facepalm:

8. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    What??? Definitely not what I was looking for!

Mostly I was stoked to see Turner release a new mountain bike. :geek:

Danmtchl and Cyclotourist like this.
  9. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Sorry, not impressed with Turner bikes. A friend has one that has had continuous BB and pivot creaking issues. He was basically told too bad so sad.

I’m sure it’s a nice bike. But based on Tuner history, the frame being Ti.....what are we gonna be looking at for $$$?

Danmtchl, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The frame I ordered doesn’t take SS into consideration either. :D

Danmtchl, mike and Cyclotourist like this.
  11. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    My buddy here in town has had great customer service with Turner. I forget the specific problem, but they next dayed him whatever the part was and he was rolling! He got the bike used as well, there are no questions asked.

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and mike like this.
  12. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    These imported ti frames are all over the map, cost-wise. Guessing Turner would fall somewhere in the middle? I do think it's cool that Turner is focusing on ti and not carbon. (They have a CX-type ti bike now also.)

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  13. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Looking at the Moots mtb lineup, I don't see a single speed option. Is that possible?!?! For that price?

Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and mike like this.
  14. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    A custom option?

Danmtchl, mtnbikej and Cyclotourist like this.
  15. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

Yes, it is a custom option.

Moots has stock frames, and custom frames.

Danmtchl, mike and Faust29 like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Just got the last of my build parts. Except ti prep. For an anecdotal grin I weighed everything out at 26.7 lbs.

Set up SS, without pedals, without sealant, DHF 2.5 and Aggressor 2.3, dropper post with squish. On the portly side rubber-wise, but it’s in the house.

Not that I covet weight. The idea of a SS bike with sporty geo and a dropper just sounds like a ridiculously fun setup. You guys with your Chamies and Timberjacks are getting me amped to wrench it up... :thumbsup:

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:

I resisted the dropper on the SS got a very long time. Now that i have it on there....it has become a whole new animal.

18. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I agree that the weight issue is way overblown- especially for normal people. I love the heavier Chameleon, and really don't know what it weighs compared to the other single speeds I've had. 4 or 5 pounds more probably, but it's a lot more fun to ride. :inlove:

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  19. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Figured this is a good spot to put my initial impression of the Fuse 29 comp.

Maiden voyage this morning, on one of my most frequented trails.

Climbing. I was very impressed with this. Going from a 71 degree HA, to 66.5, I want sure what to expect. It feels super easy to maneuver and change lines. I actually felt like it wandered less, and went exactly where I wanted it to go.

New to the world of 1x, and coming in with the budget sx... It's interesting. Sometimes I would be waiting for the chain to move m.. Other times it was so fast and silent I was like woah, it shifted? Had a little issue with the 10th ring and up as the climb got steep, but quick barrel adjustment and it was sorted, probably happened when I swapped bars last night.

The climb itself felt, Well,like climb, but went up up up no problem. Spent a lot of time in 10, a bit in 11, didn't really need the 12, but used it a few times in short steep sections. @Mikie asked about weight. It's a portly rig, probably 33lbs... But I actually was a bit faster in the climb than the last time I went back in January... Maybe the steeper seat angle comes to play?

The good stuff

This thing wants to go fast. At speeds where previously I thought my bike was going to try to kill me, this one just says "please morrrrrr"
    Carvey is the word that came to mind driving the ride... It hugged the contours of the trail... I'm so used to fighting my bike trying to force it where to go... The fuse just becomes an extension of the rider.
    Mentioned the tires in another thread, those things hook up. Feels great pushing it into the turns.
    @Faust29 mentioned the level brakes. I actually had to test them twice.... As I mentioned...it's easy to get up to speed.... Had a few close encounters with up traffic that I had to put the brakes to the limit. There will definitely be an adjustment period....

One complaint. No chainstay protection
    .. Not even a clear film.... So there are already some battle scars

So yeah... Super stoked after ride 1. Can't wait for some stuff to open up and have a go at my usual problem spots.

IMG_20200502_071356.jpg

IMG_20200502_071428.jpg

redwoods, SS Barby, Mikie and 13 others like this.
  20. Cyclotourist

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    Perfect, great to read it's ticking some boxes off for you!

Mikie, Danmtchl, Derkderkall and 5 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Mic drop. That's really all you can hope for in your bike choice. Congrats! :cool:

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  22. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
    @Derkderkall , wait till you get that Fuse on a proper rocky downhill trail like the Merrills or Sunset. It's phenomenal!

Never liked the Recon fork. It was noodly at 100mm, can't imagine stretching it out more.
    I put an MRP Ribbon coil 140mm on and the fun is off the charts. Not to mention it saved my ass several times!

redwoods, Mikie, Danmtchl and 8 others like this.
  23. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    Right now I'm stoked that it's a huge improvement over my suntour coil

The plan right now is to get a marzocchi bomber z2 in the fall.

Mikie, Danmtchl, DangerDirtyD and 7 others like this.
  24. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Looks badass! And I’ve seen how they ride. Congratulations on a well-earned upgrade. Enjoy the honeymoon :thumbsup:

25. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    GREAT fork for the price. :thumbsup:

26. Danmtchl

Danmtchl iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    2020 Trek Fuel EX 9.7

I boss got the 29 expert model and loves it so far. He plans on upgrading the fork and put carbon bars on for the moment.

Cyclotourist, Mikie, mike and 2 others like this.
  27. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    @Derkderkall ! So stoked for you! That bike is badazz! Over time you can whittle away some ounces. So glad you are happy with the ride...:thumbsup:

Danmtchl, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  28. Michigander

Michigander Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Kona Honzo ST
    Jumping in here a little late to add that you can fix the HTA on a number of the "twitchy old-school" frames mentioned earlier by dropping in a Works headset. I'm running a 1.5 degree works headset & 130mm fork on my Kona Honzo ST. That makes the HTA somewhere around 66-66.5 degrees and so much more trendy ;)

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/

Faust29, mike, Cyclotourist and 3 others like this.
  29. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    @Michigander, welcome to the forum and nice to meet you yesterday. Hopefully , we can ride soon. One thing about the Works headset as well as a Cane Creek Angleset and changing your HTA. You must have a bike that has an internal headset. My old Niner Sir 9 is straight steerer, which is OK with these types of headsets, but it also takes external cup headset which doesn't provide enough room to do an adjustable head tube angle or run a tapered steerer which some companies that make headsets have developed an adapter to use. Allowing a straight headtube to accept a tapered steerer but it as well needs to be internal headset.

30. Michigander

Michigander Member

Name:
    Andy
    Current Bike:
    Kona Honzo ST
    Good meeting you too! And you're right. This option works best for frames that come with zero-stack headsets. You can get away with it on some external cup frames and 1 1/8" steerers, but your options are very limited.

https://www.workscomponents.co.uk/1...eadset---to-suit-1-18-steerer-tube-1047-p.asp

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?