Coronavirus. Not to be confused with Norcovirus.

Discussion in 'Free Zone' started by BonsaiNut, Mar 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    Yeah, my department was 1/7 the size of of the LA County Sheriff's department and unless you're "special", you aren't talking to Captain unless he shows up at a local community meeting to schmooze. We did have one Captain that was dumb enough to give out his cell phone number and consequently had people calling him at 1 am to complain about people burning a fire on the beach after 10 pm and other trivial nonsense. He got a new phone.

Old&InTheWay, UPSed and fos'l like this.
  2. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    I heard that South Korea was testing 10,000 people a day. Do you know if that's true and, if so, the results? Although very different from us, the results would be interesting.

I was parked on White Whatever Street next to the park in order to ride Irvine Park & SO today and six somewhat elderly guys were sitting together at a picnic table with no thought of social distancing.

Danmtchl likes this.
  3. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

I would certainly stay away from other’s to help do your part?

Danmtchl likes this.
  4. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I don't know where we are currently, but last week the US was testing 20,000 per day (we are about 7x as large as South Korea). We were getting 10% positives for everyone tested (we tested approx. 140,000 people, and 14,000 came back positive). They had been given instructions to only test people who were showing symptoms... but who knows how closely those instructions were followed.

Danmtchl and fos'l like this.
  5. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    "hope idiots don’t ruin it for the rest of us"

They will..............

Old&InTheWay and fos'l like this.
  6. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    I was special at the time. The Captain was a client. The fact that my dad was a higher up in the DOC may have played in part in getting me access to the Captain's office. :whistling:

Then that Captain promoted to (Regional) Commander and my drive became a lot longer. :mad::laugh:

fos'l likes this.
  7. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Huh? My son's best friend is a cop and is like family to us, he has said his whole department has been put on 14 hour shifts with no days off! Thats an extra $12,000 per month! I wonder what they are thinking?

BonsaiNut likes this.
  8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    $12,000 a month for OT? F@ck I'm getting the wrong end of the stick. No jabs or nuthin against our LE though they have my mad respect and always will...

hill^billy likes this.
  9. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Yah, but if it doesn’t kill him first! No days off!

Voodoo Tom and mtnbikej like this.
  10. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    CLOSED. Drove out there thinking it was open, oh well

11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Hmm. Still not listed as closed on the park's website, just closed to vehicles. Assuming you parked and tried to ride in but were turned back?

BonsaiNut likes this.
  12. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    They haven't change the status on the web site. Still says closed to vehicles - but open to foot and bike traffic. From the most current press release:

As of March 21, 2020, Joshua Tree National Park will offer very limited services outside those that support visitor or resource protection. At Joshua Tree National Park, the following services and operations will be suspended in order to comply with the California State order:
    • All park roads are closed to vehicles.
    • Campgrounds are closed.
    • The park will not issue permits nor conduct on-site public or educational programs.
    The health and safety of our visitors, employees, volunteers, and partners at Joshua Tree National Park is our number one priority. The National Park Service (NPS) is working with federal, state, and local authorities to closely monitor COVID-19. We will notify the public when we resume full operations and provide updates on our website, www.nps.gov/jotr and social media channels.

Some recreational opportunities in Joshua Tree National Park remain accessible to the public in accordance with the latest federal, state, and local health guidance including hiking, biking, and climbing.

• The park remains open to bicycle and hiker access.
    • Wilderness access using the Covington Flats Road as well as the entrances to Berdoo Canyon, Pinkham Canyon, Thermal Canyon, and Long Canyon will remain open. Backcountry permits will not be required for the use of these areas and overnight backcountry camping is permitted.
    • Additionally, urban trail access at the Oasis of Mara, the California Riding and Hiking Trail, Rattlesnake Canyon, Eureka Peak and the High View Nature Trail as accessed via Black Rock campground will remain open to provide for healthy recreation opportunities.

pperrelle likes this.
  13. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Quick note to people:

This is NOT the time to be selling stock and buying gold. It appears the market is recovering from the panic-selling lows, and gold bullion is in such high demand (coins and bars) that the price is actually RISING at the same time as the stock market. This suggests that gold is wildly over-valued and once the panic subsides, bullion prices are going to fall dramatically as people try to unload their "safe" gold stash.

I always wonder who the people are who sell at the market low, and then shift their asset allocation at the exact wrong time. There must be tons of them... but I have yet to find anyone to confess. If you haven't sold stock yet, do NOT sell it now.

Danimal, UPSed and pperrelle like this.
  14. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Appreciate your insite on the market.
    What little stock I have I've kept and not sold. I did however put a little into the market last Friday. A 20% to 50% increase in a few days for those new stocks. But being what it is I expect some wild swings over the next year. And I don't know much about the stock market.

Someone is making a killing in this market.....high speed computerized software traders is my guess.

15. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    My old department is going 12 on 12 off but keeping their standard 3 days off so that equates to 16 hours of OT per check or 32 per month = only $2000-2500 for them. They’ve also ordered 130 detectives back into the field.

I rode thru Carlsbad the other day and there were cops everywhere, including on bikes on Coast Hwy. I knew they had bikes but I’ve personally never seen them previously. They weren’t stopping anybody or giving out any social distancing warnings that I saw.

16. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    My cousin in NY said they just closed two Trader Joe's and four drug stores because there were positive tests for the virus. Since CA seems a month or so behind NY in virus acquisitions, maybe a sign of the future. Happy I haven't been to either type for awhile, and hope they have delivery/curbside service in about a month when prescription refills are necessary.

SnakeCharmer and UPSed like this.
  17. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  18. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    If you had purchased Chicago Board of Equity Volatility Funds in December, you would have gotten a 350% return... because they are index funds pegged to the volatility of the market. Years ago I used to trade Foreign Currencies on my own dime. Now I stay miles away... because there is too much central banking interference to rely on underlying strengths/weaknesses of foreign economies to know WHAT is going on (at least for me). But you're right, if you know how to hedge your trades, the more volatile the market is, the more money you can make.

Turn Volatility to your Advantage

Danimal likes this.
  19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    We won't hit the wall as hard as NY has and is because we do not live on top of each other the way NY is structured. We Californians are spread out and we actually get pissy when our personal space is invaded and for once, that is actually going to help curve things in our favor. In NY, everyone has touched every one else one million times or more. That is not the place to be at this time.

fos'l and BonsaiNut like this.
  20. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Be interesting to watch. My cousin resides in Westchester County which is a more spread out, ritzier area. For instance, she has seen David Letterman on her daily walks and her driveway would make a fine drag strip.

21. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    I came home from one of my rides over the weekend, and saw a large group of kids(not our neighborhood kids) playing tag on one of the grassy areas. The visitor parking was all full as well.....which tells me that someone in our block decided it was a good idea to have a social get together. :facepalm:

sir crashalot likes this.
  22. MTBZen

MTBZen Member

Name:
    Gary
    Current Bike:
    2017 Trek Pro-Caliber 9.6
    NY as a State is far less densely populated than California....tons of open space outside of NYC. Even some of the Burroughs are not as "on top of each other" as people may think. Public transit/subway reliance is probably a big culprit in NYC. I have a place just outside the Bronx in Mt. Vernon and it is a regular spread out suburban neighborhood. New Rochelle, where this started in NY is also a regular "spread out" type town. It's the dense urban places like Manhattan, San Francisco, parts of Chicago and LA, etc. that might have some challenges.

fos'l and mtnbikej like this.
  23. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Police everywhere in OB as well. Multiple pairs of motorcycle cops, cruisers parked at entrances to major beach/park lots, and tons of others driving around.

Had to go into the office this morning. There were Border patrol vehicles parked on the grass in Mission Bay park. And another 4-5 driving along Mission Bay drive. Unless there was a migrant/drug boat that came ashore, guess they are being recruited to help with crowd control?

Old&InTheWay and rossage like this.
  24. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Transparentcalifornia.com lists the compensation of government employees in the state, and it breaks it down by base salary, overtime, benefits, etc. Gives you a good idea of just how many extra hours these fine folks put in. I remember there was a story on local news several years back where people were crying foul about firefighters that were making $250K a year, like they were getting away with murder. They were probably working 5 or 6 24 hour shifts a week. That's earning every penny if you ask me.

25. rossage

rossage iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ross Lawson
    Current Bike:
    Highball
  26. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    For two years in a row in San Diego back in the early 2000’s the highest paid city employee was a Fire Captain making about $250K a year. You’re right, he worked about 5-6 days per week and for those unaware....OVERTIME DOES NOT COUNT TOWARDS HIS PENSION.

buggravy likes this.
  27. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    The subway transit popularity in NY is being "on top of each other". It is without a doubt a major player in their ongoing issue with this virus infection status.

28. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I didn't realize OT doesn't count towards pensions. That sucks.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  29. scan

scan iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    fran allas
    Current Bike:
    Scott Spark
    No disrespect to fire fighters, but I am sure depending on the day there must be a lot of down time

30. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Unless you're a taxpayer. Many jurisdictions do allow OT to count. Fewer as time goes on.

Nothing except base salary/wage should count toward your retirement.

UPSed likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.