Good thing they didn't say BIKING trails...;)

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by mtbMike, Mar 23, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
  2. furball

furball Member

Name:
    furball
  3. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    That blows. LA County is pretty huge. Wonder how they plan to patrol it?

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    It doesn't say anything about fire/dirt ROADS being closed. As long as I can get on some dirt, I will live.

5. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Seems like confusion reigns with this, and it has made me realize just how many different forms of government preside over our beloved trails. The way I understand it, not all parks in LA County are closed. It's parks run by LA County. Also state parks and city parks are closed, as are MRCA parks, but SMMRA parks and Fed land is open. As I understood it last night city (and perhaps state) parks are a soft closure, meaning parking lots are closed, and they don't want people in the parks, but it's not being enforced and they're basically asking people to self govern. I don't have any real confidence that what I'm stating here is accurate at this moment, but after sifting through a bunch of stuff last night this was the best I could come up with. FWIW my wife hiked the Summit to Summit fire road yesterday afternoon, and there was nothing indicating any closure.

6. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  7. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    As much as I hate to say it, the Feds will likely follow in closures because the masses will flock to their lands, the remaining open areas, which will cause another cluster-fock of dummies who are not practicing social distancing.

8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Most places I want to go are likely unenforced, and not crowded.

mountaingirl sara and UPSed like this.
  9. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I didn't catch it yesterday, but all beaches, parks and trails in San Diego now closed. https://www.sandiego.gov/mayor/news...nd-trails-discourage-gatherings-amid-covid-19

Will be interesting to see how this plays out given how much success various land managers have had keeping people off closed trails. Look at Spring & Oak canyon here in SD a few years ago - armed marines couldn't keep people away.

Hopefully as long as this keeps the hoardes of moronic "hikers" away they won't worry about a few bikers. Not the time to show up to any trailhead with a big group.

10. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    It appears that Las Virgenes Open Space is closed. Though not listed on the MRCA site, I was told today that it's part of MRCA. I happened to be close to the Victory trailhead end today so I drove up to get the lay of the land, and sure enough the gate is closed, with a private security guard there monitoring/enforcing. That said, I saw what looked like a hiker on the other side of the parking lot inside the gate.

11. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I bet it is still accessible from the Simi Valley side. So far our local fire roads are still open to the public.

12. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Probably so. SMMNRA just updated their status (guessing you probably already saw that) saying that they're closing all parking areas but trails remain open to hikers and bikers. I may try to enter off Doubletree later in the week to see what's up. Hard to imagine there being any kind of enforcement on the boundaries once inside.

13. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    I have a customer who patrols that area, on a Specialized Kenevo no less, and he says exactly that. If there's no signage I will ride the trails. Otherwise I will just wait.

mountaingirl sara and buggravy like this.
  14. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
  15. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I tried to call multiple Forest Service Ranger stations today to get some guidance but I'm guessing they are all shut down. Needless to say, the National Forest is pretty massive so I'm not sure how they could even post a closure.

16. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Don't worry, they know how to close areas. It happens often after fire. Close gates, signage, public closure order punishable with fines. Lets hope it doesn't get to that point.

Wait til Mt Laguna warms up 10-15 degrees. That place is going to get slammed on the weekends. I could see them closing Sunrise Hwy with access for local traffic only.

17. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    I drove around to get the lay of the land with trails by me, and it's pretty bleak. MRCA apparently governs a lot more than is listed on their site. Every conceivable trailhead on Las Virgenes from Mulholland to the North end is blocked off, and the LV trailhead into LVOS is gated and padlocked. The fire road off of Stunt is closed also. The Doubletree connector to Palo Comado is open for now.

18. Houdini

Houdini Newbie with Hope!

Name:
    Eric A.
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallboy
    anyone know if the 'Mandeville/Westridge to Mulholland to Sullivan Ridge' loop is open in the Santa Monica mountains?

19. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Can you supply some pics of what the blockages look like for reference?

20. ndocpjf

ndocpjf Member

Name:
    Nick
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance X
    I plan on doing some exploring in the area later this afternoon so I'll see if I can update with some pics.

mountaingirl sara and buggravy like this.
  21. ndocpjf

ndocpjf Member

Name:
    Nick
    Current Bike:
    Giant Trance X
    Looks like buggravy is correct. This is what one of the trailheads leading into the Millennium loop looked like.

LV Closed.JPG
    Dirt Mulholland is open from end to end and when I rode by it looked like so were the Temescal and Sullivan Fireroads. West Mandeville, on the other hand, is a no-go.

Temescal.JPG
    West Mandeville.JPG

22. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Sorry, just saw this. They all looked a bit different. I think most of the New Millenium signs have been there since the helicopter crash. Most of the newer ones were a sign stating Park Closed by the Santa Monica Mountains Conservancy. For the smaller trail entrances off of Las Virgenes they were posted on a board much like the one in @ndocpjf 's last pic, and positioned in the center of the entrance to the trail. You could easily walk around them if you chose to ignore them. The main trailheads into LVOS on Las Virgenes and Victory were completely fenced off, so you'd have to scale a tall fence to get in there. My wife went for a run on Summit to Summit yesterday, and she parked on Old Topanga and started running East. No sign there, but when it transitioned from STS West to STS East there was a sign on the gate saying park closed.

23. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    I have just been informed that no trails will be open in Orange County on Saturday or Sunday. Spread the word.

24. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    So just closed on weekends only?

herzalot and mountaingirl sara like this.
  25. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Well sh!t. This was posted about 30 minutes ago by the Calabasas mayor.

The LA County Health Officer issued an order on Friday, March 27, to temporarily close all beaches, trails, trailheads, piers, beach bike paths, and beach access points through April 19 to slow the spread of COVID-19.
    After observing last weekend's large crowds on public beaches and trails throughout the County, which seriously impeded the practicing of required social distancing, the Los Angeles County Health Officer today issued an order to temporarily close all beaches, trails, trailheads, piers, beach bike paths, and beach access points within the County of Los Angeles Public Health Jurisdiction. The was issued to help slow the spread of COVID-19 throughout the County, and will remain in effect through April 19.

Enforcement of the order will be provided by Los Angeles County Sheriffs and Lifeguards, as well as law enforcement agencies in other cities affected by the order. Los Angeles County Dept of Beaches and Harbors Code Enforcement staff will also patrol the affected areas to ensure public safety and to provide information, as needed.

26. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Gravel bike it is.

Actually, I'm in Ventura County and everybody has been riding everything. Right now nothing is closed.

27. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    when I was at PT today I double checked the trailhead to Los Robles off of Foothill, and it was wide open. Will try to get over there while the getting is good.

28. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Thanks for the info, is this all trails, or just county trails? Was just all over the websites and no indication of a change.

Well, there not open to ebikes anyday and they still ride closed trails, and the 4x4s keep cutting gates and passing through. So with this in mind only those that actually follow the rules will.

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  29. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Great. So now they will come down to Orange County. I fully expect this to be the last weekend of riding on most of our trails. I am getting up at 5 tomorrow in hopes of not encountering too many of the yahoos.

30. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    There are a lot of regular MTBers who regularly ride closed areas/trails. With all the visibility on this now is not the time to be doing that. When all the trails are closed it is hard to justify making a wrong turn from an open trail onto a closed trail.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?