Bommer Canyon

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by fos'l, Oct 14, 2016.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    Tomorrow, Bommer Canyon has open access from 8:00 AM - 2:00 PM. No registration required. An opportunity to ride some trails that are open only a few times a year including Rabbit Run, a downhill with some exciting drop offs (for me; up to 6' drops for the more experienced) and East Fork, the hardest to conquer ascent ever (for me) and an order of magnitude more difficult than Poles or Meadows (remember, I'm old). Fun chance for some new dirt IMO. BTW, I'm not affiliated with the Irvine Conservancy in any way, but have enjoyed many of their trails over the years.

bvader, Mikie, Grassblade23 and 6 others like this.
  2. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Just signed up for this Saturday. Never heard whether anyone tried Rabbit Run and subsequently had an opportunity to visit their orthopedic surgeon. For those that love pain, there are ascents with sections that have been surveyed at 37%, 40% and 44%; don't think the last one has ever been conquered.

DangerDirtyD, Mikie, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  3. littlewave

littlewave Well-Known Member

Name:
    Brett
    Current Bike:
    GG Smash (Alu)
    Gonna be warm out there!!

Mikie and herzalot like this.
  4. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    Next Saturday is Open Access at Bommer, no registration required. There's a plethora of new dirt to explore including several challenging ascents: East Fork with a section surveyed at 38% although it's been groomed and isn't as difficult as in the past, as well as 41% & 44% (AIR) hills in the middle section of the park. Also Rabbit Run a fun singletrack that has a couple of nice drops for the more adventurous. Sounds like an ad, but I have no skin in the game except y'all might enjoy something different.

5. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    East fork exhibits wagon ruts from the 19th century in the sandstone from the Miocene Epoch. I cleaned it once back in 2013 and came close one other time but was literally ridiculed by a sad woman for skidding-out the very last step-up. Loooow gearing is mandatory. Rabbit Run is the cat’s PJs. If the stars align, I’ll go.

6. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    I cleaned East Fork a couple of times a dozen or so years ago; wish I still could. Never tried the drops at Rabbit; too chicken.

7. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Took a bad fall on one of those / last drop... Landed on me head... Did not commit .. or maybe I did... Not real clear... Rest of that run is fun for sure

fos'l, Faust29, herzalot and 2 others like this.
  8. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Yay! I’m in! Quail Hill-Serrano Ridge-Cattle Crest-Shady Oaks-Rabbit Run-Shady Oaks-Fox Run-Shady Oaks-Ridge Route-West Fork-Marie Callender’s-Nix-Quail, or so.

fos'l, UPSed, Faust29 and 1 other person like this.
  9. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    You've got much bigger "orbs" than I; my commitment was to get off my bike and inch my way down.

bvader, Faust29 and Cyclotourist like this.
  10. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Place your orbs behind your saddle and trust your bike*.

*the one without the motor.

bvader and fos'l like this.
  11. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    I don't trust the one with the motor for anything but a leisurely ride with a modicum of effort. It's never on my fun rides.

DangerDirtyD likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?