For all the weight lifters / conditioners + MTBers

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by deesalsa25, Feb 3, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    I could not find any relevant material on the forum regarding weight lifting and mountain biking routines. Anyone care to share? I dont lift like I used to because of the aches and pains but I still condition enough to keep some strength for mountain biking, running, basketball, hiking, etc.

As of now all I do is lift 4 times a week (light conditioning- upper body and lower body). Run 1-2 times a week (3 miles per run). Mountain bike twice a week - even though I just really started two weeks ago but it will be the norm. I am curious if anyone has any suggestions or recommendations as to how to maximize performance on the trails for people who also do other workouts. Thank you!

2. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    I used to do it fiendishly. I think moderate weight training as you’re doing could be beneficial as a component of cross training.

I think if a person is psyched for weights, do it. Or any activity that is different than biking.

3. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    The trick is to have a passion for any activity. Enjoy it and embrace it, not everyone is so fortunate.

I now ride and do Yoga and love them both, and in my younger years backpacked with similar passion.

However, i've never lifted weights or been to a gym, so can't comment with any insights on those.

4. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    315 bench. 3 plates per side.

(30 years ago)

5. fos'l

fos'l Well-Known Member

Name:
    Bob
    Current Bike:
    2005 Santa Cruz Superlight
    For me (when younger) interval training was the optimum way to increase performance. What did it get me --- um, um, um ........

6. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    As someone who came into mountain biking having done, and still doing a lot of weight training and conditioning, I'm not convinced that any sort of training is going to make a huge difference specifically in mountain biking performance. I mean having a fitness background or regimen will certainly be an advantage over coming straight off the couch, but as someone that was in what I consider to be quite good shape when I picked up mtb, I quickly found out in a humbling way that it's its own fitness animal. If you're trying to train specifically for mtb, take one of those 1.5 hour time slots allocated for a work out, and do a short ride. That said, I'm sure there's some benefit to training in terms of injury prevention. Strength training promoting bone density, or yoga and stretching providing flexibility. If you're riding consistently 2 days a week you might find, as I did, that mtb has a deleterious effect on strength and muscle mass, so you might have to train more/heavier if you want to maintain the same level of strength off the bike.

7. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Got me by 10 lbs. And 8 years. :whistling:

No more running or weight training for me. I spend too much time riding my bike.

8. sir crashalot

sir crashalot iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    i’ve Been weightlifting and running onand off most of my life, long before I started seriously pedaling. I think I have the myostatin deficiency gene, I don’t need to lift a lot to maintain. Mostly upper body because I figure my leg training is pedaling and running ( I run sprints for muscle mass, as well as moderate distance 3-5 miles but at 5’8 and 210 I’m not your typical runner) and at 48 can only do so much in a week without overtraining and don’t want to sacrifice riding time. I also go hiking a lot and used to rock climb.
    Occasional leg weight day is mostly single-leg stuff. Cross training is definitely beneficial overall, but I don’t think any particular weight training program confers any specific advantage to MTBs, however I recommend working your upper back muscles/rear delts to counteract the bad posture effects from riding-favce it it is an unnatural position especially with the current long reach trend, with your shoulder blades protracted , arms way out in front and internally rotated. However I do believe good upper body strength and muscle mass (esp. pecs and delts) helps prevent/mimimize shoulder /collarbone injuries in the event of a crash. Strong triceps will keep your arms from getting tired on long techy rides.
    I have a basic home setup (powerblock) and a gym membership but I’m not going to the gym during the coronavirus scare!

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Face it, you're just an Adonis! Or is it Hercules? Or The Rock? Well anyway... :oops:

10. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Nah, They don’t have this pesky layer of insulation...

11. Derkderkall

Derkderkall iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Derek Allison
    Current Bike:
    2020 Specialized Fuse 29
    I do high intensity interval training HIIT work outs 4 or 5 days a week...
    1/2 hour sessions, mix of "cardio" (plyo type moves, upper body high rep low low weight stuff)
    strength training, and mobility and compound moves that fall somewhere in between.

Mostly because I can usually only get out to ride once a week during the school year...

I've found it extremely beneficial. I came from relatively flat land to socal, and wasn't used to the climbs (still not....), But I wouldn't hesitate to say that it has helped.

Plus helps to just keep my body well balanced in regard to targeting areas that might get missed out on the bike...

12. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Awesome! 1rep max?

13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I could do it twice. Once doesn't count.

14. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    Oops my bad I just realized it was presumptuous to assume u meant max, but usually when people state how much they bench, that’s what they mean.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That was my credo at the time. Doing it once had no meaning. Had to be twice to be counted as max in my book. Circa 1993.

16. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    That’s a great credo! 315 is hella strong. I’m not sure what my actual 1rep max ever woulda been. Never really went above 3-5 rep max back in the day and don’t go real heavy anymore.

17. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    Thank you for all the responses! A lot of what you said is stuff I was thinking but I wanted to make sure. Funny, sometimes I find myself at the gym wishing I was riding instead. At this point, I do light weight lifting and conditioning because I don't want to lose flexibility and be all STIFF. @buggravy Same, I thought my fitness level would transition over to MTB and while I've done ok the times I've ridden, I clearly have a ways to go. MTB is a new monster on my legs when compared to leg press or squats. So for now, I will continue keeping it light and steady at the gym. Run/hike occasionally. But as @Danimal said, MTB is the current passion and I can't see that changing anytime soon!

18. tick

tick Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tick
    Current Bike:
    Process 111
    I recall an episode of the Atherton Project where the family is weight training, Rachel mentions that they’re training like rugby players...

I think this is a good way for a certain kind of rider to approach the gym. Training like you’re going to be thrown to the ground repeatedly.

19. deesalsa25

deesalsa25 Member

Name:
    Dee
    @tick I like that idea haha!

20. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I remember my first day mtb'ing in 2004. In Aliso, involving some hefty climbs. I figure ive been running for almost 20 years pedaling should be a piece of cake. NOPE. Humble pie.
    I still struggle. Im not a natural pedaler.
    i"d sure ratehr ride than be in the gym, i save the gyn for when its too hot or windy for riding to be enjoyable.

21. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    The comments here seem to support the notion that weight training can be beneficial for health overall but its direct benefits to MTB are dubious.

The strength to squat a rep is different than that for pushing pedals for hours. IMO, yoga will be more beneficial and complimentary to riding than lifting. I don’t do either regularly, but yoga stretches and other movements are always part of my maintenance program.

As stated, being engaged is the key. If you don’t like an activity, forget it. Leverage your interest in alternate activities to keep your body and mind sharp on the bike. Repetitive use injury is real.

Thanks for opening up a thoughtful and useful conversation, @Demetrio GQ.

22. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    Here was the Atherton program from a couple years ago...

This one is better...

23. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My oldest brother cut the wood. I split the wood- an 8 pound splitter and 16 pound sledgehammer were my preferred weapons. I was probably 10 when I took over the splitting full time. And my father stacked the wood. I usually split enough extra that we sold some off... When I hit high school, the football coach grabbed me during gym class and threw some weights on. I did 300 five times. That was the extent of my weight lifting career. When my wife and I got married and moved away, my brother built a log splitter... :cautious: :D

Nowadays I'm really happy to carry the bag of dog food with one hand... :oops:

But... I'm surprised that no-one has mentioned mixing it up with different types of riding. It's not weight lifting, but it will certainly improve your bike stamina and power. @Demetrio GQ - You're just getting started in the sport, but you'll probably find that there are ways to mix it up on the bike. Some of us have several bikes to do just that. Your geared hardtail is a great start and that's where I really began at 300 pounds. But from there it went to single speeding (shift down about 5 or 6 cogs and that's where I live...). A single speed workout is more full body than sitting and spinning. Road riding is also a much better sustained cardio workout than mountain biking. Spinning at 80 RPMs for long periods of time is a stamina booster, and usually transfers to the mountain bike. Or... Find a small climb in the 2-3 minute range and intervals will beef up your MTB stamina and muscles in no time. I have one in O'Neill that is a great mini loop. Two minute pavement climb, with a short fun 2 minute downhill.

Good topic...

Edit: And follow Kate Courtney on Instagram. Her gym workouts are insane... :whistling:

deesalsa25, Danmtchl, fos'l and 8 others like this.
  24. sir crashalot

Name:
    gary fishman
    Current Bike:
    2018 banshee rune
    I will say leg strength training with heavier weights (which I really should do more of haha) helps with long downhill stamina. when things get get steep and you're coasting and keeping your weight low and back you're basically holding a low squat poisition. That always seems to take more out of me than pedaling. Quad-burner!

deesalsa25, Danmtchl, Faust29 and 5 others like this.
  25. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    None of us have the time to train like truly elite cycling pro's. Do not look to their methods as guidance on how you should train.

Ideally, adding in some weights and stretching routines at least once a week will benefit you going into older age. Weights for bone density, stretching for flexibility. But neither will serve you the bike better than just riding more. If you are doing less than 20 hours a week on the bike, then you are no where near close to worrying about increasing bike fitness. At around maybe 30 hours I would start considering other things to increase bike fitness.

I start rock climbing for fun, and returning to running again. Not for bike fitness, but personal pleasure. Climbing is increasing my upper body and core strength, as well as flexibility. Running is good for muscle density. But I just like doing it.

I look forward to big days on my big bike again. That was the ultimate bike fitness machine.

deesalsa25, Danmtchl, ~JB~ and 11 others like this.
  26. doublewide

doublewide iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mark
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Tallcan
    LOL

BTW It's NOT about becoming an elite athlete, it's about bettering yourself.

27. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    :thumbsup: Great point! Background story, too. :)

Right on, @Sidewalk. :thumbsup:

Rock climbing is a classic compliment to MTB. I'd say way more climbers ride than the reverse, FWIW. Good spine decompression, sharpens risk assessment and tolerance, survival mindset, etc. Kind of like weight lifting – your own weight. But I'd caution anyone about the risks of pulling hard indoors regularly – finger pulley, elbow, shoulder. Outdoors less an issue. Gyms are designed so falling climbers don't get by injured hitting holds. Ironically, many get injured by climbing overhanging stuff all the time. The mental advantage is what I enjoy about crossing MTB and climbing. When you've been gripped for hours, days or weeks at a time with life-dependent decision making, static physical strain and plenty of discomfort, rolling around on any surface under any conditions seems pretty do-able.

I digress. You could not get me to pump iron for anything. There are too many fun things to do... :geek:

28. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    Great topic! Although I don’t weight lift and I absolutely hate gyms, I do yoga...and like a few of the other hooligans have mentioned, it’s a great way to compliment riding, running.....etc. Yoga isn’t just about stretching and flexibility, it’s also strengthening, toning and learning to breath. I’ve never felt/looked more fit than when I was riding mtb 2 -3 day’s a wk, running 3-4 days and doing/teaching yoga 4+ X a wk.
    IMO bulking up is counter productive, my students who weight train have almost zero mobility, that’s why they come to yoga, to try balance that out. I have a new student who only runs (flat pavement:eek:), her low back, hamstrings and calves and even the soles of her feet will take a while to loosen up...but she’ll be a better runner for it!
    Anyways, sorry for the long boring yoga pushing post:whistling:
    Do what you love, life is short:thumbsup:

scan, herzalot, deesalsa25 and 10 others like this.
  29. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    And having fun:D

scan, deesalsa25, Danmtchl and 6 others like this.
  30. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Ooh, I was just typing that, but thought twice and took "it" to mean training rather than biking. But yes, if some something is not fun, stop doing it immediately!!! :)

In fairness, when you ride like Josh, getting a little better might mean being at elite level. :geek:

Danmtchl, Faust29, hill^billy and 2 others like this.