Looking for thoughts on wheels, new 29's

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bill, Jan 29, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. Bill

Bill Member

Name:
    Bill
    Current Bike:
    it's black
    Looking for thoughts on wheels, 29 Boost. 190 riding weight, will be running 2.5 to 2.8 tires. Probably set on DT350 hubs for commonality of repair parts, thinking about rims or wheelset. Durability would be my prime concern.

Ibis has rims that are warrantied for 7 years against impact damage both carbon and alu. i35 should be wide enough for that range of tires. I can relace them at no cost but my time if the rims are warrantied. Their wheels don't come with DT350's, would probably eventually relace the rear wheel with a new hub if I went wheelset.

Reserve wheels are expensive but I wouldn't have to do anything but wait for a replacement and I already have a spare set of wheels to ride in the interim.

Ultimately I just want to ride and not have anything else break or require maintenance and cost in the future especially if I can only pay once. Thoughts on Reserve warranty and durability? Alu Ibis rims strong enough in i35 to hold up to a beating without regular truing?

Mikie, bvader, Danmtchl and 7 others like this.
  2. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    If you wanna go carbon.....SC Reserve's are hard to beat. No questions asked replacement. Strong/Wide.

If you wanna go Aluminum...Raceface makes the ARC in 30, 35, 40mm ID. Lace those up to a set of 350's and you are good to go.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Not related to the current topic, but I'm loving watching the rider you've become since we first started riding together only about a year ago. From a strong climber who didn't really enjoy descents to a guy who now seeks the tougher trails and higher speeds. You (and I) NEVER thought you would go that direction. That grin at the bottom says it all!

Hope you get that Enduro soon! :thumbsup:

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 7 others like this.
  4. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    More enduro? :eek: When I met Bill, he went down Joplin alone in sandals! Hardcore. :D

I think the DT 350 choice is a safe bet, no matter which rims you end up with... They are just indestructible. I've lost track of the miles on mine.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 9 others like this.
  5. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    If you're budget is tight you can't go wrong with the Ibis aluminum 938 wheelset. I'm the same weight and I've put more than 5k on a set before I broke a spoke. The rims were ding free and perfectly true. I serviced the rear hub twice and there was only the slightest sign of wear. I ended up purchasing two more sets so I could run different tires and they're holding up just the same. I found them for $400 a set when I purchased them last year.

Mikie, Luis, Stkx66 and 9 others like this.
  6. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Not here to prop any one brand, but just relay our experience with Derby rims. I was unable to do any damage to the years-old set I just sold. I got the 29er AM i35 version months ago and I’m just as happy. Just got the i30 hoops for yet another set, too.

For sheer durability, carbon will be hard to beat, especially by weight. Cost is another conversation...

PS: DTS 350 or 240, yes.

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 8 others like this.
  7. Sassyquatch

Sassyquatch Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sam
    Loving my spank spikes on DT 350s on my GG Smash..I’m much heavier and not an overly smooth rider, hence the more gravity oriented build....

Mikie, Danmtchl, Cyclotourist and 5 others like this.
  8. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I have been running Flow MK3 for a while now. I know I am going to chew up wheels, and the SC Reserve are just a little much for me right now (though long term, probably will get them).

The Flow's hold up well enough to my abuse, and are cheap and easy to replace. I do my own lacing, and can true them if I have access to a stand. But for $40, I don't mind paying someone else to true it up for me and lacing takes like 30 minutes.

I'm not saying I am the brutish of riders, but, I am not gentle.

Mikie, herzalot, Fueledbyex8 and 6 others like this.
  9. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Sooner you get your Reserves, the less work you'll have to do. :)

Truing, etc. in the long run...the CF wheels I've owned didn't/don't go out of true or round. And they never get dented, no matter how dumb I am with pressure and square edges. That counts a lot for a rider without a truing stand or desire to get one.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 5 others like this.
  10. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I wrecked the carbon wheel on my Enduro in three weeks :Roflmao

Mikie, Faust29, herzalot and 5 others like this.
  11. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    zip ties to the seat stays /fork tubes work like a dream. True that shiot up while still mounted.

Mikie, Faust29, DangerDirtyD and 4 others like this.
  12. Stkx66

Stkx66 iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Steve
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower 27+/ 29r
    My DT 350 Reserve 30's have treated me well. I have had zero problems going on 2 years of steady use on 2 sets.

Mikie, Faust29, Fueledbyex8 and 6 others like this.
  13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Roval, no doubt. :stop::geek:

Mikie, Faust29, Sidewalk and 3 others like this.
  14. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Correct.

But if I go through two Flow's a year, at full price, and pay someone to true, it will take 7 years before Reserve breaks even.

In 7 years, I don't even know if I'll still be rolling 29's on 148 :cautious:

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  15. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    kazlx, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  16. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Live fast, my friend. Or get slowed down fixing your bike all the time and being concerned with what will happen years after you've ridden your money's worth out of some sweet CF hoops. :geek: If there ever was a case study for CF (Roval not included, even the weez kills those), it would probably be you. :)

herzalot, DangerDirtyD, Mikie and 2 others like this.
  17. Erik H

Erik H Member

Name:
    Erik Hillard
  18. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I don't even have a fork right now.

Between needing to buy a van (currently homeless), having my XC bike stolen, and my Ohlins fork dying (hoping the warranty comes through soon, if not $1000), I can't be dropping that dough for a while.

I was all in on the idea of a good set of downhill carbon hoops until I snapped a wheel that, by the reports I read, few people are breaking. And I wasn't even riding hard at the time. I don't mind breaking a $100 wheel, I can keep a spare hoop on my wall and be ready to ride in two hours if need be without having to go through a warranty process.

herzalot, mike, DangerDirtyD and 3 others like this.
  19. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I can buy a rim only it looks like for $650. That is far more reasonable, and something I'll consider in the nearer future.

Mikie, mike and DangerDirtyD like this.
  20. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Make no mistake, mountain biking is a luxury activity, and there are tons of good reasons to not shell out over a grand for a premium wheelset. A person burdened by debt or otherwise not in a mode to gear up might not be giving the most relevant advice in this thread. I hope your situation improves, and you are soon snapping CF hoops left and right. :)

More reasonable than what??? That rim better perform some amazing acts. ;)

Stkx66, mtnbikej, Mikie and 3 others like this.
  21. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I must be reverse delusional. I’ve ridden Enves, I9s, SC Reserve and Ibis Carbon rims. I didn’t like any of them. They just seem to transmit much more shock through the bike, and get knocked sideways easier than aluminium rims. But I think I’ve probably posted my opinion on that before. Sorry for the redundancy.

edit: check that. I kinda liked the Ibis Carbon hoops.

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I thought you could only buy the SC Reserve as a trail wheelset. But with a DH layup available as a hoop only, that sounds more reasonable :D

Bikes are more fun than psychiatry!

23. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    @pperrelle rides nothing but 29ers and changes his components almost weekly. I'm sure he has or will have some wheels for sale shortly.

24. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    You're funny! Actually, Wheels are one thing that I don't change often. I've had the same set of Nox Farlows on DT240's on 3 different bikes now.

herzalot, Stkx66, mike and 4 others like this.
  25. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Second on these. Couple buddies have them with zero complaints. They are in the plan for my Yeti.

bvader, Cyclotourist and DangerDirtyD like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?