True Grit Epic 2020......Save the Date

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, Aug 28, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-14-20
  1. HBkites

HBkites Well-Known Member

Name:
    Sharone
    Current Bike:
    Why S7, Revel Rascal, Spark RC
    I did the TrueGrit twice. I'm unsure about 2020.

I always wanted to try one of there AZ events, but the overall feeling I get using their website is of an "underground" event.
    For me, a good website with cool promo clips is the induction of a first-class operation/promotion (for example the Epic series).

The last thing I want is to travel all the way to AZ and find out that the event is poorly run or have a super low attendant. Have you ever attended any of their events?

2. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    I am in as well. Are you guys really racing it singlespeed? I still need to register but I am 99% sure that I am going to race as our weekend up there was awesome and now I want to see what I can do in a race setting.

3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower

Racing is a loose term. My goal is to not be DFL.

But yeah, going back to the SS.

4. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Rode in your neck of the woods, last weekend. Did the Luge last Sunday. Great descent, a little short. Rode from cooks Corner up STT to Old Camp and then back and descended Luge. A long drive and a lot of climb but met up with an old friend so was worth it.

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Awesome.
    Luge is a bit overrated.

Faust29 likes this.
  6. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    Yep, that's exactly where it's going!

mtnbikej likes this.
  7. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    My race pace is the same as my every day pace. :Roflmao

I've done it once each way- SS and FS. Now that I've ridden Zen and Barrel Roll quite a few times, I think I can get down it just fine on the single speed. I may even leave the dropper at home.

I'll walk the waterfall (that we didn't see last month...) no matter which bike I take. I'd have to spend a looooonnngggg time out there to even come close to cleaning it. I did the first two little drops and then had no clue where to go. :eek:

8. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    I'll have to decide which bike to ride. I am planning on doing the Whiskey Off road in April on my SS so maybe doing True Grit 50 will not be so bad. Only problem with my is the old geometry with a 72.5 degree headtube and stuff. Total cross country. Not sure how much fun it would be on Zen and the stuff I didn't see. Barrel Roll and obviously Bearclaw Poppies would be fine.

9. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Did you sign up, @SS Barby ?

I'm looking forward to this one... I need some vindication after missing a turn last time around. :cautious: :p

mountaingirl sara likes this.
  10. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Im just hoping my legs come with me.

11. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Long range forecast shows rain Tuesday/Wednesday of the event.

12. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    @HBkites sorry didn't see your question previously. The AES rides are the same as the Wrightwood 50 in format, minus the cooler. They aren't "official" events that someone "runs" and there are no fees or prizes. You get a GPS track and a start time, and the rest is up to you. I've done a lot of them. Some have more attendance than others. There were two of us first time I did the Picketpost Pulverizer. Others like Sedona are capped at 74 to avoid needing a USFS permit. I often see the same faces and have met some really cool riders that I now ride with when I go to AZ. People often hang out afterward for a few beverages. These are also a great way to check out stuff you might not otherwise get to. Can't say I have ever had a bad experience.

Ripsey is an interesting one coming up. And with new mine construction set to affect part of the trail this may be a last chance to ride it. It may be the coolest ridge top ride in AZ. The routes in Sedona, Prescott and Flag are all excellent. Kentucky camp in the fall is a bit easier. Some of them have an A and a B route of different lengths. These are just routes so you can grab the GPS track and ride them any time of you want.