Trmn8er "ate" it NYD. I must confess

Discussion in 'Crash Confessions' started by trmn8er, Jan 5, 2020.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Hello and Happy New Year to all IMTB Trails Guys AND Gals!

New Year day this year started off with a crash. Scan, Don, Jason, Francisco and I decided to hit Santiago Oaks for a 20+ mile blast this past Wednesday. Weather was nice, the group was great, I was excited.

After the initial tough climb, we dropped in to an extended downhill section that is not technical, yet fast and loose over DG. Don was out front and made the climb first and dropped in. I chased. As I was up to speed in no time, I noticed traction was very low, or the trail was very steep or both! Even under the massive power and modulation of the MT7's, I was having to be careful on my braking points.

While there were no jump lines on this section, there are high spots that you tend to pop off a bit, the bike's suspension uncompressed and the bike feeling light. It was fun and FAST. As I came into a slight right hand turn, there was a high spot just before it. I was moving very fast, and after the light feeling and the entry of the turn, I went from riding to sliding on my right side instantly.

There was no "oh Sh!t this is about to happen", it just was. As I slid to an eventual stop, I got right up and took inventory of my body. It took a couple minutes for the those behind to come up, and give me the "are you ok?". I calmly replied I don't think so.

My right leg, knee, forearm and elbow had deep skin loss. The guys I was with were great. Scan (Fran) was flushing my wounds with water, and Don came back up to see where we were and have a rather impressive first aid kit. I was only 1/2 joking (actually I was serious) when I said I wanted to continue to ride.

The guys whom had given me the trail-side triage had other thoughts, more like get back to the car, and go to ER or Urgent Care. There was a cool trail of blood in the dirt, and my Intense Primer was splattered with the stuff in cool fashion. There was a rather substantial hole on my elbow which was deep and exposed wide open. Not to mention I was bleeding from the leg, knee and arm.

We decided it best to get me to the car. Upon further inspection of the bike (Yes, the bike is Mostly ok!) we noted my dropper cable ripped out and hanging. No dropper, seat down, steep climb out about 3.75 miles to the car. Crap.

I was able to ride because it was simply faster, but it sucked being in that much pain. I wen to Urgent Care to save a buck, and they had me there for close to 5 hours doing extensive wound care and 8 stitches to the inside and outside of my elbow. They ending up saying I really should go to ER so I could get a CT Scan, X-Rays and more wound care. So the following day, I got to do that.

So what did I learn? I learned that I'm grateful I was not alone, and with great friends who knew what to do. That I should have gone directly to ER not Urgent Care. That at 58 years old, I need to not slow down, but at least wear some lightweight impact rated knee and elbow protection. I learned that you can crash anywhere and high speed may result in serious injury. I learned that I love riding way too much to consider reduction at this point or slowing down.

I have the bloody pics if this is the place for them. I hope each of you stay safe and still ride with all the passion you have while avoiding injury in 2020. I am feeling better each day and hope to at least get on the trainer until I can get in the dirt again in another few days.

2. bvader

bvader iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mr. Brown
    Heal Up... Glad you had some excellent support.

You got that out of the way... For 2020

3. blixet

blixet Well-Known Member

Name:
    Tom
    Current Bike:
    Transition Scout, TJ Ti
    Dang Ken, that sounds like a bad one. I am really glad you will be mostly OK after you heal up. Wishing you a speedy, complete recovery.

4. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
  5. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Yeesh, no bueno there, Ken. Thanks for the report and clear-headed hindsight. Plus-one on the pads, they’ve saved me more times than I can recall. Poc VPD Air knees and G-Form elbows are a pretty lightweight setup. The knees can ride on your calves when you want, and the elbows in a pocket.

Best wishes for a speedy heal and back at it. :)

6. Mikie

Mikie Admin/iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mikie Watson
    Current Bike:
    Ibis DV9 / SC Hightower
    Heal up fast Brothah! We should try riding bikes together in 2020.
    Just a thought...:sneaky:

7. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Excellent outlook!

8. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Thanks much for all for the well wishes. I’m trying to stay positive and yet make some minor mods to help reduce injury when I go down again. Not if right?

9. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Just remember - if you crash you weren't doing it right. :Roflmao

I'm also 58, and have decided I'd rather not get those rashes anymore. :cool:

10. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Right it was my mistake. My Second trip to ER in 13,000 dirt miles I have been fortunate. I overcooked the turn and overestimated my traction. It really was not a tight turn but at speed things happen quick. I own it

11. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    The looks you get in the ER waiting room when the pizza you ordered is delivered are almost worth the price of admission.

12. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I share that same attitude. I love the feeling of riding fast over challenging terrain. It's my primary motivation to ride. And it does come at a price. The interesting thing is the response from others who say we are too old to be doing this. Why? Why would the exact same crash with the exact same physical result be seen as OK if you're 28 or 38, but not 58?

Sounds like a nasty crash with some significant damage. Sorry to hear. Let's hope that is your deposit in the bank for another couple of years of injury-free riding. As we all know, it's not a matter of "if" - it's a matter of "when and how bad." You had yours.

Heal up quick, throw on some pads and get back at it! :thumbsup:

13. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Good on you, Ken.

Though I recommend pads, avoiding crashes at our age is key. Use your wisdom and skill to keep you out of the ER first. Pads won’t keep one from serious injuries...

Keep getting rad though. Just ride smart. Silly stuff will happen, and that’s where pads have saved me. I got a wake-up last year and have pulled it together a little. : )

14. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    I saw some of those pictures on Strava Ken. Looked pretty nasty. Glad you had a solid group of well stocked guys with you to spring in to action. Having ridden with you a few times I know your pace is pretty fast so accidents are bound to happen occasionally. I’d say twice in 13k isn’t too bad. Another reminder that I need to re-inventory the supplies in my pack.

15. Grego

Grego iMTB Addict

Name:
    joe
    Current Bike:
    WFO9
    58? Your kidding, would have never guessed. Heal up Ken.

16. NinjaDon

NinjaDon Member

Name:
    Don
    Current Bike:
    2018 Honzo
    Other than the huge hole in his elbow, blood, & road rash, you would've never guessed Ken had crashed. He was in good spirits the whole time! If it hurt, it didn't seem to bother him.

They don't call him the "@trmn8er" for nothin'!

giphy.gif

Heal up Ken so we can go back & finish that ride!

17. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    Heal up......and get ride of the Specialized tires. :rolleyes:

trmn8er, mike and mountaingirl sara like this.
  18. trmn8er

trmn8er Member

Name:
    Ken
    Current Bike:
    Intense Primer
    Again thanks so much all for the well wishes!

19. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    @trmn8er you are obviously a tough one. Rub some ‘tussin on it and get back out on the trails.

Cyclotourist, trmn8er, mike and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?