True Grit Epic 2020......Save the Date

Discussion in 'Racing' started by mtnbikej, Aug 28, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

Added to Calendar: 03-14-20
  1. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
  2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Only 5 hours away...

mountaingirl sara and UPSed like this.
  3. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    I’m going back to the SS this time.

mountaingirl sara, Faust29 and UPSed like this.
  4. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Still curious why you guys go back to that every year when there are so many other great events out there in equally cool locations. I know you've said limited time off, but for me that's more reason to go somewhere else.

Try out one of these...free, like WW50 https://rockyroad5050.wordpress.com/

5. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    Because I enjoy it. I know there are other events, but I still gotta finish the 100 here.

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    It's hard to resist when someone says, "Hey... I got a room and I'll show you around." :D It's an awesome event, and has a cool vibe, even with all of the hardcore racers present. There are other rides I've looked at, but who knows when I'll get to them. Some life things need to stabilize first.

Undecided rambling alert. Talking myself through this for next time:
    As far as this coming True Grit, I've done the 50 twice. First time on the single speed with no dropper. I manually dropped for Zen, but rode everything else high. Only walked a couple short descents on Barrel Roll and the big waterfall. I'm not going to ride the big waterfall no matter which bike I take. :oops: That ride beat me up, but I finished. I may not have known which way was up at the end, but I didn't die out there... I also wasn't DFL. :p The second time on the Hightower (cheater bike) I felt great all day. So great that I didn't realize until the end that I missed a mile of the course in the beginning. Followed a conga line and missed a turn. At the end, though, I still had a lot of gas in the tank and my time wasn't that much slower than the single speed. Hmmmmm... Decisions.

The Waterfall...

HBkites, trmn8er, Mikie and 7 others like this.
  7. SS Barby

SS Barby Well-Known Member

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley LS/ Esker Hayduke
    I am planning on doing the True Grit 2020. @Faust29 if your plans fall through, I would be taking my travel trailer out there and would enjoy the company. I will be hoping to do the 100 but it will all depend if I can get back into training properly. SS or my Ripley I don't know yet. More than likely I would not do the 100 on my SS.

trmn8er, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  8. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    The 100 on the SS is brutal. I dropped out of the 100 after 65 miles the first time on the SS due to a mechanical. Climbing Zen the 2nd time was rough. I didn't even make it to the 2nd Stucki Springs climb...and that one sucks enough the first time through. I don't recommend full rigid.

trmn8er, Mikie, Cyclotourist and 2 others like this.
  9. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    DBB107D5-1469-447F-B016-1083F0141EB8.gif
    DBB107D5-1469-447F-B016-1083F0141EB8.gif

trmn8er, evdog, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I don't do this event, but I am a person who will choose a known ride or location over an adventure. Some of us like to go to something we know we will enjoy immensely rather than risk our precious time off on something that may not be as fun. There is value in knowing where to stay, where to eat, where to park, what the trails are like and the vibe one expects. I know that is opposite of the value of "adventure" that drives many mt. bikers - especially you and perhaps @mike as well as many others. I ride for the fun factor, not for the adventure factor. The two are not synonymous to me. I will venture to new places when I know it will be fun. The idea of spending days and dollars to ride stuff that is less interesting than the trails I ride regularly is not appealing to me. I have been openly and frequently criticized for this point of view, but my priorities do not have to align with anyone else's (except my family).

I think the guys and gals who do this ride annually are very well balanced in terms of "adventure" rides and known rides. If you only get to ride a certain type of awesome trail once a year, and you love it, why not treat yourself?

trmn8er, Mikie, SS Barby and 7 others like this.
  11. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    Fair enough you want to make the most of your time - we all do. But it seems foolish to limit yourself to only known-to-you trails because you're worried about riding an occasional dud. That's gonna happen, but at the same time you are also missing out on trails that you'll like more than your regular rides, maybe even your future all time favorite. Trust me.... Laguna and its hoardes of hikers and blown out trails will always be waiting for you to return.

By same logic, why not treat yourself to something new that could be equally or more awesome? The AES rides I linked to are similar in type and difficulty to the WW50 and True Grit that J, Faust etc. like and have done multiple times. These are killer routes that run mostly on "known" trails in places like Sedona, Prescott, Flagstaff, Tucson. If you've done something 3-4 years in a row why not try something new? And did I mention, these rides are free?

trmn8er, Mikie, mike and 5 others like this.
  12. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Oh yea! This one definitely gets a Nuggettini!
    4DA89693-53E3-4CD4-B0C4-A53A6C7ACA08.png

Luis, trmn8er, Mikie and 4 others like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I have failed to express my point. I love to travel to great trails. Canada, Colorado, Utah, Tahoe... I would love to ride Sedona and the Pacific Northwest. The point I was trying to make is if you have a once-a-year ride that you love, what's wrong with doing it? Why should someone stop doing a once-a-year ride they love? Because someone else doesn't think it's adventurous enough?

14. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I love True Grit as a package. It's an entire day of pushing the fitness level on trails that you rock hounds would love. I also really like the surrounding area and the vibe of the whole event... :inlove:

I'd probably love some of the Arizona rides that Evan has mentioned now and in the past, but they just haven't worked in yet... They might, depending on what happens with a few balls that are in the air right now. It's entirely possible that there might be more road trips in the near future. There might even be one in a few weeks! :whistling:

15. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Well if it’s a good idea...

16. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    @herzalot, I totally agree! I sit on both sides of the spectrum. I love to go and ride new stuff and experience the true mtb adventure, but, then I also enjoy riding organized rides in places I don't get toride often because it is planned and all you have to do is Ride.

trmn8er, mike, Faust29 and 3 others like this.
  17. SS Barby

Name:
    Barby
    Current Bike:
    evdog, thanks for the link. All those rides look great. I did a few similar types of rides while I lived in NM. Unfortunately, my schedule doesn't work out for any of the rides listed in the AES.

18. evdog

evdog iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Evan S
    I'm not saying anyone has to do anything. It just baffles me that some riders would rather ride the same thing over and over when there is so much other amazing riding out there. Like I said, to me having limited time is more reason to go check out something new. To each his own I guess.

SS Barby - GPS tracks can be downloaded, you can do those rides any time on your own or with friends not just on the day that they are scheduled. I've done a few of them solo. Still makes for a fun ride, and since I'm not a racer it is pretty much the same thing to me. Hopefully you guys can check some of them out at some point. I've got enough routes in my head I could probably put together a whole series for Socal. I'm sure Herzalot will be all in! :D

19. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    It's official........

Screenshot (162).png

20. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I must have hit the wrong button. Mine says single speed! WTF?!?!

:eek: o_O :whistling: :D

21. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Nice! You guys made the Starting Lineup!

22. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I'm still on the fence. I want to do this, and enough other events for the NUE series (looking at the Wilderness 100 and High Cascades 100). But I don't currently have a bike. I might use my old trail bike that I loaned to a friend. We'll see.

23. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I'll have a bike you can borrow soon Josh! Either an XL Intense Tracer with 160mm travel front and rear, or S.O.B. XL 29er with around 150-170 mm of travel. Either would be PERFECT for xc or endurance racing! :thumbsup: :confused: :D

24. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    I've got that angle covered, even if I'm annoyed that I can't get ahold of f@cking Ohlins to service my fork:

Instagram Link

Luis, herzalot, Cyclotourist and 6 others like this.
  25. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I don't think I choose that line...

26. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I think the 2nd one is the worst. I leaned to the right in my chair.

Luis, Cyclotourist and mtnbikej like this.
  27. Cyclotourist

Cyclotourist iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    David
    Current Bike:
    Don't fence me in!
    I couldn't even get that far! I think I watched this before we went, that's why I had all the questions on the exposure!

Faust29 and mtnbikej like this.
  28. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
  29. Sidewalk

Sidewalk iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Josh
    Current Bike:
    N+1
    For reference, the guy in the left of the picture with the green bike is 6'2".

30. mtbMike

mtbMike iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Mike
    Current Bike:
    Ibis HD5, Ripley & Mojo 4
    I believe that Fluid Focus in San Marcos is now their dedicated service center in the SW region. Give Ryan a call at the shop. 760-626-7178
    https://www.fluid-focus.com

Sidewalk and Cyclotourist like this.