Drop Weight, Get Swole, Make My Wife Swoon & Kick Butt on the Bike.

Discussion in 'Health' started by kazlx, Nov 5, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I'm immune...

2. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    Says the guy who hasn't used his granny gear on the new bike. :eek:

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Still hated it...

4. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Oh c'mon. I saw you smiling on Mustard....:sneaky::p

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    And you saw my vertical smile on Modjeska! :sneaky: :whistling:

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    2015.....the year I chased 1 Million feet of climbing, I was riding 150-200 miles a week. Without trying, I dropped about 30 lbs that year. I went from right about 200 lbs. down to 170....I think I bottomed out at 168, at 6'. I didn't change my diet, I pretty much ate whatever I wanted to. I just rode.....ALOT. I realized that weight was not realistic, nor was I gonna be able to maintain it.

My riding has slowed down the last several years and the weight has gone back on, but I am still floating around 190 lbs.

7. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    For me, climbing is one half of the biking story. I like to climb... and I like to descend. The descent is the "reward" for the work of the climb.

However I can also understand people who only like the downhills. I haven't skied in years, but back when I skied had you asked me if I preferred taking a lift to the top of a slope, versus walking, I would have looked at you like you were crazy :)

8. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I can say the more I climb and the better I get at it, the less miserable it is. I'm not sure I really enjoy the actual climbing, but I enjoy the rewards and the fitness, plus, I definitely see the all around benefits to my riding. Don't get me wrong, I love riding bikes for the descents. If that was somehow not fun in some Twilight Zone sort of way, I'm pretty sure I wouldn't mountain bike. It's that drive to get faster, be more stylish, go bigger and just the sheer excitement of riding down the hill that is the payoff for me. Even though I still enjoy shuttling and I still enjoy riding my DH bike, I do enjoy the accomplishment of getting up somewhere on my own. Even though there's been plenty of times I've been drowning in my own misery, I've never quit and I just get there, whatever it takes. I love the places the bike can take you completely under your own power.

9. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Well... if you ride up Harding to Santiago peak, coming back the same way will take you about one hour (taking a few breaks) and it's downhill the whole way. I always try to improve my downhill time, but in many cases it is impacted by trail conditions (loose and dry currently) and whether there is other traffic. However on Saturday I managed to hit 32 mph between Modjeska and Four Corners, which is moving along at a pretty good clip for that section of trail. It is definitely not the same thing as descending Trabuco or the Motorway, but it has its unique charms :) I rode from Four Corners to the bottom of Harding - slightly over nine miles - and saw only one other person. THAT is what climbing does for you :)

10. DangerDirtyD

DangerDirtyD iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    2018 Guerrilla Gravity SMASH
    Mama prefers me 250 lbs at home rather than 190 lbs on a mountain. Well mama just gonna have to eat dem chipplins by herself now ain’t she...

11. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    195 lbs and on the mountain sometimes seems like a reasonable compromise. :sneaky:

12. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    If you want to feel even better. Start eating all organic non-gmo foods pesticide free foods. The amount of toxins in our food supply is alarming. Most people have no idea how much it effects you. Every toxin in our body is either pushing us away from or to to some form of disease. It's up to us to figure out what is good or bad for us.

https://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-9694/13-dangerous-toxins-to-avoid-in-your-food.html

Always remember this....

EDS6CtxXsAM3gF8.jpg

13. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Eat right, live well, die anyway. :eek:

There's a limit to how far I'll go down the healthy eating path. If I live 6 months less, well, at least I enjoyed it. :thumbsup::thumbsup:

14. Redman

Redman iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    SC OG Hightower 29'r
    Mark,
    Yes, you are right we are all going to die...anyways. The question to ask yourself is. "Do I want to die early from disease (I could have prevented) or from natural causes at an older age?"

Most people I know that are seniors are suffering from illnesses that could have been prevented with proper diet. My mom has Fibromyalgia, my dad has PD & Fibromyalgia, my uncles have two different cancers. I have family friends whose elderly family members are suffering from things that could have been prevented. A lot of these can be reversed should you chose to follow a strict diet of organic non-gmo pesticide and preservative free foods.

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    singing my song! Although you’re better at it.

16. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    This shirt was a sausage casing 6 months ago...still a little deceiving. I don't think most people would guess I'm still 230lbs.

25D2C921-2D24-471F-BF22-2232E66037A8.jpeg

17. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I really feel like my fitness on the bike has blown up. Threw down my biggest ride at Oaks ever and still feel like I had plenty of gas in the tank. Easily cleaning all the climbs. Almost ‘fun’...*gasp*

C47B937A-E23D-4FB4-B6FE-C1DE4C54C638.png

Redman, DangerDirtyD, Faust29 and 6 others like this.
  18. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    THIS is so cool!!! :cool: :cool: :cool: :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

Faust29, mtnbikej and kazlx like this.
  19. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    See you at the 12/8 Blackstar Christmas Sweater / Food Drive ride?

A social out-and-back and it's only about 2300 feet. You could probably do it in your sleep given your current conditioning, and it is a ton of fun!

Blackstar Christmas Ride

kazlx and Faust29 like this.
  20. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    looks like my typical quickie ride at the Oaks. :whistling::whistling:

j/k......glad it’s feeling easier.

kazlx and Faust29 like this.
  21. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The sky is the limit once you start going bigger...

kazlx, mtnbikej and UPSed like this.
  22. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I think I already have some family stuff planned that day (Legoland with my family and my brother), but I would like to make it if I can.

Runs with Scissors likes this.
  23. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    I've definitely noticed this almost plateau I broke where I feel like I'm not working as hard climbing, so once I get into a rhythm, it all feels similar besides those spots that need an energy burst and that's what starts getting me. If that makes any sense. Once I settle into a groove it's been easier. Big changes I'm seeing is even on tougher climbs, I'm not as winded when I get to the top and my refractory time is way shorter where I feel like I'm ready to go again quite a bit faster. It's been night and day for me lately. Of course, then I'm going to go out with people that are actually good climbers and get dropped like a sack of potatoes, but hey, that's life I guess.

24. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Let’s be Tater Tots! 43C2782A-113E-40E2-90E2-E6F9DAE103E1.png

Faust29, mike, mtnbikej and 1 other person like this.
  25. hill^billy

hill^billy iMTB Rockstah

Quality of life? What’s it gonna be?

26. DangerDirtyD

Name:
    Chicken Nugget
    Current Bike:
    Love me some dat Mc Nugz! 9B24920D-F1B6-49F2-A30E-C109503082B0.png

Faust29, hill^billy and Voodoo Tom like this.
  27. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    Man. What a difference a few months makes. Headed up to ride Santa Monicas yesterday. Did a pretty solid ride and still had gas in the tank. I’ve done rides similar to this before and was downright toast afterwards and then worthless when I would get home. Feels good to feel good and see the work paying off!

E84EE407-1F1F-4896-957C-E2B705DF1FD2.jpeg

28. UPSed

UPSed iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Ed
    Current Bike:
    Niner Jet 9 RDO
    Awesome! I remember doing rides like this and never wanting to see my bike again.

mtnbikej, Voodoo Tom, Faust29 and 2 others like this.
  29. kazlx

kazlx Well-Known Member

Name:
    Joe
    Current Bike:
    Yeti SB5.5
    100% this. I've done similar rides to this in length/elevation and just been ready to die, like every ounce of me to just make it to the end. I rode the entire time, legs were burning a bit towards the end, but wasn't terrible. Not sure how many miles I would still have in me enthusiastically, but was just a night and day difference of how I felt afterwards and the rest of the day. Felt similar energy to rides of half those stats. Really hits home about my fitness level.

30. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I eat a mostly healthy diet. I do not obsess.

Odds are I won't live as long as either of my grandfathers (both died at 94 from being worn out), but probably longer than both grandmothers (both died from lung cancer in their early 70's, neither ever smoked), and probably longer than my father (brain aneurysm at 66).

With a congenital heart defect I'm more interested in enjoying what time I have. I have no desire to live drooling on a pillow, just for the sake of still breathing.

To each their own - the very thought of a "plant-based diet" makes me cringe.

Redman, DangerDirtyD, kazlx and 2 others like this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?