2018 Pivot Firebird 29

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews' started by herzalot, Nov 20, 2018.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. mountaingirl sara

mountaingirl sara iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Sara
    Current Bike:
    Ibis Ripley
    You saying I have old eyes?:cautious::mad:

2. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    Maybe just distorted through those rose colored lenses you used to wear, or the new photon shields!!!

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OK People - gather 'round. Here's the latest.

After eleven rides and many improvements to the Firebird 29er, she and I are going to part company. I rode my 2015 Tracer 275c on the exact same trails a day after riding the Firebird and my Tracer was more plush, more accurate and more nimble. I could continue to try to improve the suspension to my liking and continue talking myself into loving the Firebird, but that would be silly. Perhaps it's the kinematics of the high anti-squat rear suspension, or the characteristics of the DPX2 shock, but I am done. I still believe the potential is limitless, but perhaps with a different pilot who likes a different feel.

The one thing the Firebird did extraordinarily well that the Tracer does not - high speed turns in choppy and loose conditions. I run 2.3 Minions on the Tracer. Now that I have a wider rim up front, I will try the 2.5 Minion DHF to see if that is the difference.

Sorry Pivot. I tried.

Next up to demo: XXL Hightower, XXL Megatower, Transition Sentinel, Ibis Ripmo, Yeti SB 130 LR, SB 150 and SB 165 (long live 650 b). No way to demo the Smash. This time, no impulse buys based on numbers on a chart and "it fits really well."

Tom the Bomb, mike, Obsidian and 9 others like this.
  4. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    When I bought my alloy Smash, Gonzo Cycles in Carpenteria had them to demo. They almost certainly wouldn't have size 4 Revved bikes yet, and Carpenteria is a hike, but since you're not in a rush that could be an opportunity if you are otherwise compelled to try one. That's already a pretty formidable list though.

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I talked to Chris Conroy today and asked his opinion of which Yeti would be the best for me. He knows where I ride, how I ride, my size and age. I asked about the SB 130 LR, the SB 150 and the SB 165. After elaborating on what he liked about each, he concludes "..get any of the three you mentioned and you won't be disappointed." Uhhh, thanks Chris!

My concern about Guerilla Gravity other than the difficulty in getting a demo ride is their ability to actually make and deliver a bike my size in a reasonable time frame. Seems like it's taking 6-8 months to get one.

6. mtnbikej

mtnbikej J-Zilla

Name:
    J
    Current Bike:
    SC Chameleon SS, SC Hightower
    So what's the deal with the Hightower? You already demo'd?

7. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    He's trying to decide which color he wants to buy...:Roflmao

8. buggravy

buggravy iMTB Addict

Name:
    Matt
    Current Bike:
    Transition Sentinel
    Probably a valid concern. I haven't paid enough attention to see if the size 4s are actually rolling out now. If they are I'd say probably somewhere in the 3 month range from order to delivery, but definitely some give or take factored in. When I ordered my Pedalhead they told me 4-6 weeks, and I think I cancelled at about the 8 week mark and it hadn't been started. In fact, it was to include a custom set of I9 wheels that have their own 2-3 week turnaround, and it didn't seem that those had been started either. I love GG, but I find the ordering process works best if you get real hurt first, and then order a bike so you're not too salty about having to wait longer than they say.

9. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    Checked the ridegg website and says size 4 you can order now. That tells me they are in production. If so lead time is fairly short.
    But don't get one, they suck and the price is way to high. And frame made in USA, who would want that. .....

https://ridegg.com/thesmash

Tom the Bomb, rossage, mike and 3 others like this.
  10. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    I would have to demo one, regardless of the price or where they are manufactured. I won't be in CO soon, so if you can arrange that for me, let me know.

11. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Yes. I tried it yesterday. Nice bike. I think the XL was actually a little small for me. I will try it in the XXL. Even though my legs were shot from four days of riding, including earlier in the day, I climbed pretty quickly on it, and even without much tinkering, the RS suspension was far more plush than the Firebird. If I bought one, I would over-fork it to 160. That would raise the bars and the bottom bracket a welcome smidge, and give a little more margin of error up front.

12. SnakeCharmer

SnakeCharmer iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Why even shop for a new bike if you are so in balance with the Tracer?

Tom the Bomb, mike and herzalot like this.
  13. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Excellent question! I have no answer. I was planning to get a new bike this winter just because it's been 4 years, and some things have changed in bike world that I might really like. That and I can still get a fair re-sale value for the Tracer. However, there really is no "need." I could cut my losses now and just see what I can get for the Roasted Chicken and call it an expensive experiment.

At least until my 4th Stan's hub fails again...

14. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Keep the bike that works for you and invest in a set of quality hubs for it. :cool:

15. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Why spend $800-$1000 for a new quality wheelset when I can blow $6k on something I don't need?

Actually, I don't really even need to upgrade the Stan's hubs. When they fail, they send me a new wheel within about three days. They have yet to fail in a way that leaves me stranded. (Knock on wood).

But hey - getting a new bike seemed to increase my motivation to ride and as a result, my fitness, so it's all good right?

And now we have strayed far away from the usefulness of this thread as a bike review, so let's shut this down here. See you in the "What do you want to do to your bike in the near future?" thread.

16. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals

Well, I noticed some real grins after you descended the Luge on the Roasted Egret.

17. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Intense For Life. Well, until my next bike ... which will most assuredly be a Santa Cruz due to the lifetime warranty.

I have demo'd enough bikes at this point to come to the conclusion that, frame for frame, build for build, there is not much difference anymore. Components matter. Frames ... not so much.

18. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Not a new wheel set, a new hub set for your existing wheels. There is a least one OC member here who could lace them up for you. You'd be surprised at how much nicer quality hubs with higher engagement are.

And yes, to an extent, glad that your riding motivation has improved but it was an expensive route to take.

Tom the Bomb, Voodoo Tom and Danimal like this.
  19. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Why do you assume I have never had quality hubs with high engagement? I've been doing this a long time - I ain't no rookie!

I've used I-9s, Chris Kings, Mavic and DT Swiss (240, 350 and a DH/FR version) along with the Stan's that came on the Tracer. My favorite BY FAR are the DT Swiss 240s with a standard 36 tooth star ratchet. I have no need for the 54 PoE. My next bike will have DT Swiss. I will not spend the money for hubs and re-lacing for the Tracer (nor expect J to re-lace for me).

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!

Now can we close this thread?

20. SnakeCharmer

Name:
    Mike, aka "Ssnake"
    Current Bike:
    YT Izzo
    Note to self:

*OC riders love their Santa Cruz bikes
    *OC riders love their DT Swiss hubs

Tom the Bomb likes this.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?