Luge Flag Replacement

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by herzalot, Nov 10, 2019.

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?

1. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    2020 Revel Rail,Yeti SB 130 LR
    I saw a recent photo of a torn and tattered flag at The Luge. That's unacceptable. I've ridden along on several Veteran's Day rides up to The Luge to replace the flag, including a huge STR event back in who knows when.

I would bet dollars to donuts that someone is planning to replace that flag tomorrow, but I am not leaving it to chance. I bought one tonight - actually made in the USA - and I will be riding up there tomorrow to replace it, unless someone beats me to it. Not a race. I don't have to be the one to do it, as long as it's done.

If it is replaced already, I will give mine to @Danimal so he can replace it whenever the new one gets tattered.

I'm gonna ride from Wahoos at 8:00 am (7:45 meet time). Join me if you wish.

2. Runs with Scissors

Runs with Scissors iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    I'll plan to be there, god willing and the river don't rise.

3. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    OMG OMG OMG OMG I get to ride with Mark again! :inlove: That would make three times in the last 7 years!!!! o_O

Looking forward to it. You can try my bike on the climb up there. Nothing says efficient climbing more than a 32 lb 7" travel slack 29er!!

4. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    Thanks, but you're like 9 feet tall. I'm 5'7". Don't think the bike would fit. :laugh:

5. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Dropper post...:thumbsup:

6. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    This is the ride of all rides! Hell froze over!

I doubt I’ll be able to join at that time, but if something changes, I’ll be there.

And if we’re swapping bikes, I have a single speed to add to the mix. :D

7. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    Me too! 30 x 50. It's my only climbing gear apparently.

8. Voodoo Tom

Voodoo Tom MTB Addict

Name:
    Tom Kokkinakis
    Current Bike:
    Mango one, black one, Ti one
    Please please please somebody video the bike swap when it takes place.:rolleyes: That would be cheap entertainment for the rest of us.:Roflmao

Never ridden the Luge, don't even know what state or province it's in but have fun fellas and thanks for honoring our real heroes. They do not get nearly the recognition that they deserve...

9. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    No. They don't. And we seem willing to ignore their health care and even deport them for risking their lives and suffering immensely for us.

10. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    The jump from 17 gear inches to 46 gear inches will barely be noticeable.

11. Faust29

Faust29 Moderator

Name:
    B. Bunny
    Current Bike:
    I gots some bikes.
    I'd say we read the same article, but there has been more than one case in the news recently. WTF?

12. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
  13. Danimal

Danimal iMTB Addict

Name:
    Dan
    Current Bike:
    Epic Evo
    I can't make this ride but yep, up there enough to check regularly no problem.

14. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    I could not join the ride, but I am going to buy a nice flag to have ready to go when the next change is warranted. I contacted a flag company to ask them about their "extra-reinforced flag" and their response:

Unfortunately there is no way to determine exactly how long a flag will last as it all depends on the weather conditions it is exposed to. You might fly your flag on your home and it is sheltered from the wind and someone else in your community has it high on a flagpole up on a hill with crosswinds and they will not be able to fly their flag as long but you are in the same town.

Our Poly-max flags are a 2 ply poly bunting made for extreme winds and have an open weave construction to allow the wind to go through. They will last 30% longer than nylon flags. We also offer the same Poly-Max flag with additional reinforcement where we add on another four rows of double stitching to the fly end. Our customers have found this really helps to keep the flag longer. https://www.flagsexpress.com/product_p/polyester-american-flag-er.htm We hope you will try one and tell us how you found it to work in your conditions.

Sounds like I will get the one with "extra reinforcing" and see if it lasts longer...

15. Runs with Scissors

Name:
    Mark Whitaker
    Current Bike:
    Giant XTC with pedals
    That was fun. :thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks for the invite, @herzalot

The stuff back through Whiting (Cactus? And something else) was a riot.:geek:

The Luge still isn't my favorite, though.:rolleyes:

EDIT: Stats - 15 / 2,500

20191111_095109.jpg

16. herzalot

herzalot iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Chris
    Current Bike:
    That was fun! I will treat this ride in two different ways. The flag replacement here, and a ride report in I Rode My Bike Today.

As I was descending to the flag (at stupid fast - Mach Chicken speed) I was actually pleased to see the tattered flag blowing in the wind and a few guys up there already. Turns it out was @xhuskr who thought he was behind us, plus a guy I rode with a few times back in STR days who used to post as @Waldo (Bob), plus a friend of theirs on...a Specialized Levo. :facepalm: We were also joined by another guy on a nice Santa Cruz who is active Marine. He was very quiet.

Pulled the flag out of the Camelback and handed it to @Runs with Scissors to do the honors. We wrestled the old one off and attached the new one. I am very pleased with the quality of the flag. It felt like a light canvas - not nylon. I hope it lasts for a while. No ceremonial words - just respect.

I folded the tattered flag and put it in my pack. I gave it to Mark in the parking lot and he will dispose of it properly (probably through the Boy Scouts).

Scissors and Waldo Change Flag.JPG

Flag Changed.JPG

That's Kevin @xhuskr, Mark @Runs with Scissors and me.

And here's an obligatory OTB shot of The Luge. Mark liked it better this time than the last time, but he liked Whiting a whole lot more.
    Luge Bars 11-11-19.JPG

And, as requested, photos of Mark and me after exchanging bikes. I think the Pivot fits Mark more than the Giant fits me, but even with two full water bottles, Scissors' bike was lighter than mine.
    RWS on Pivot.JPG

Me on RWS Bike.JPG

Great day with great company. Thank you Veterans for your service and devotion to our country and the ideals upon which it was founded. May our leaders have the wisdom to use our military to defend freedom, democracy and human dignity and not corporate interests or political theater.

bvader, Dismay, scan and 17 others like this.
  17. mike

mike iMTB Hooligan

Name:
    Mike O
    Current Bike:
    HT, FS
    Thanks for keeping things tidy, guys. Much appreciated.

18. Oaken

Oaken Well-Known Member

Name:
    CeeJay
    You can get a free flag that has been flown over the US Capitol, if you contact your Congressperson. They are really nice, durable flags.
    You can also ask for a certain date, if you are looking to gift it to someone and there is a day of significance. It’ll come with a letter stating “flown for so & so on x/x/xx.”

19. pperrelle

pperrelle iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Paul
    Current Bike:
    Ripley V4 & Ripmo V2
    Nice work gentlemen!

20. BonsaiNut

BonsaiNut iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Greg P
    Current Bike:
    Santa Cruz Hightower CC XX1
    Yes... I got one for my dad years ago. Looks nice in a display case!

21. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt
    Thanks for getting the flag @herzalot and getting a ride set. A small and mighty crew was had.

22. Obsidian

Obsidian iMTB Rockstah

Name:
    Obsidian
    Current Bike:
    27.5 Intense Tracer
    Nice job. Thanks guys.

MrGreedom, DangerDirtyD, mike and 3 others like this.
  23. Rumpled

Rumpled Well-Known Member

Name:
    Jim Martin
    Current Bike:
    2018 Specialized Epic Carbon C
    I just looked up my Rep. Flags actually cost $. $19 to $120 depending upon size, material and whether flown over the Capitol.
    Plus shipping.

Just letting people know.

24. xhuskr

xhuskr Member

Name:
    Kevin
    Current Bike:
    Rocky Mountain Thunderbolt

As a former Amazon Associate I continue to get screwed trying to stay qualified as an Amazon Affiliate. So I quit!

Want to donate to imtbtrails?